Peterborough North

great northern

Donner und blitze guys!

I've been strongly resisting temptation to try out a Baby D on the Waverley Route ( well why not - isn't that what happened to unloved locos?)

I even managed to avoid Hattons blandishments when they came down to £76.00, but this debate has been simmering on all the time I've been writing for clients and thinking about fees, so when Gilbert succumbed, I'm afraid I too have been led down the road to temptation, and just placed the order.

Now all I have to do is convince HMRC that model locos are an allowable expense! ( That will be after convincing my better half that all these packages arriving really are costing me less than the stuff I'm trading out. - Well I did rid of the Duchess with the wonky wheels in a swap for a boxed set of A3, 3 Mk 1s and £40 cash. Not bad considering I got the Duchess for £ 25)

Lovely pic there Gilbert, can't blame you!

Peter

It's a good job I shall be arriving a little earlier than normal tomorrow Gilbert, I need to be on 'overtime' to inspect all of these new purchases and that's only the ones you've 'coughed to'. I must admit though both look good and once Tim works his magic they will be stunning and another excuse for more posed photographs to disrupt your promised frenzy of modelling.

Your Ancaster conscience.

Is it any wonder us model Railway chappies get a bad press with all this talk about which Make Up Brushes these grown  men buy. I suspect Mr Foster has been spending too much time teaching Young Ladies and the make up  habit has caught on.

However I am at a loss to find an excuse for our other friend?.

Regards,Derek.

Is it any wonder us model Railway chappies get a bad press with all this talk about which Make Up Brushes these grown  men buy. I suspect Mr Foster has been spending too much time teaching Young Ladies and the make up  habit has caught on.

Regards,Derek.

I'm not afraid of my feminine side Del! ;)

• RMweb Premium

Just wanted to say GB that your article in BRM is really interesting and has some cracking shots by Tony and Andy; a bit like having this thread condensed into an afternoon's reading!

Looking forward to the rest of the series...

David

I've finally acquired some Jonathan, but how do you apply and fix them? I bought some of the pigment fixer too, but I don't seem to be able to get it to work.[/quote

Hi Gilbert

I hope you don't mind me adding my experience of Mig powders/fixer and their application.

My method for using mig powders is to firstly brush/spray the area to be weathered with Johnson's klear. This provides a key for the powders to stick to. This can be left to dry naturally or if you're impatient like me, you can use a hair dryer to dry it in seconds. The powder can then be brushed on using a wide brush for coal dust or dabbed on using a fine paint brush for rust etc.

The pigment fixer I apply using a fine paint brush to dab it onto the weathered area, by dabbing it on you allow the fixing agent to flow around the weathered area creating a matte seal. Another good use, is if you wish to model overloaded coal lumps on tender tops, loco roofs etc. Place the small lumps of coal on the required area and then using a small brush dab the area around the coal lumps the fluid will flow around the coal creating a seal. This again can be dried using the hair dryer.

Hope this helps. As they really are great products to use.

Stephen

Edited by ayrmrg

Ah, that's why the fire alarm went off. It was the response to the wallet on fire..................

Nice pic as usual. J11 looks very smart, however that coach looks a bit dodgy........ :scared:

P

The class 23 had a poor reliability when introduced-not only with engine problems, but also the auxiliaries.  There are photographs showing two locomotives working in tandem, simply to ensure they could complete their allotted diagrams.  One loco was returned to Newton-le-Willows, and was prepared for re-engining.  This was cancelled, and a programme of improvements saw reliability reach acceptable levels.  An engineer related to me that there were over 100 modifications implemented.  The class was doomed for being small and non-standard.  However, the question must be why were they built in the first place-the class 20 was perfectly adequate for type 1 duties, so why have class 15, 16, 17, 21, 22, and 23?   

• RMweb Premium

Regards,Derek.

Modellers have been buying hairspray for years Derek, (cheap and non scented of course).

• RMweb Premium

A little belated but I want to thank Gilbert for his time and courtesy whilst I got to stick the camera into silly places to get the shots for this months BRM ( http://www.brmm.ag/BRMdigi ) and help make it a good looking article as well as a cracking read; well done Gilbert!

Anyway it's a chance to see one that ended up on the cutting room floor (mainly because Gilbert frowned at me for showing the wrong side of the bridge ;) ) but I thought it of interest anyway.

attachicon.gifAP12_cropS.jpg

I'm delighted with the results Andy, absolutely cracking photography, which shows off the layout really well. As to the one that got away, it's a lovely shot too, the only problem being that the bridge is only temporary, and was built to be seen from the other side, so Allan Downes sensibly didn't do a lot of detail that couldn't be seen. We can repeat that one when Peter Leyland has time to complete the new Crescent Bridge. I didn't frown, did I? Can't afford any (more) wrinkles, you know.

I'm afraid not Paul, well outside my time frame. I'd have to start getting production Deltics and such like as well. Where would it all end? Insolvency probably.

There's always clause 1 of your Modellers Licence!