Peterborough North

great northern

• RMweb Premium

Having caught up, I hope, I now have to relate more strange and troubling happenings. This time it was the 14th hole, where a very large black cloud started to make things very wet again. Thunder and lightning this time, so we sheltered in a hut. Waving golf clubs around in such conditions is not a good idea. And why are golf umbrellas manufactured with a large metal spike on the top? After a few minutes there was a lightning strike which can't have been more than a few yards away. The ground literally shook. :scare: And then I realised........and waited for the voice from above. " You chose to ignore the warning of the hailstones :nono:  Now, get those vac pipes and shackles fitted, otherwise the next one won't miss." :threaten:

• RMweb Gold

The ground literally shook. :scare: And then I realised........and waited for the voice from above. " You chose to ignore the warning of the hailstones :nono:  Now, get those vac pipes and shackles fitted, otherwise the next one won't miss." :threaten:

Was that the voice of the Omnipotent Tony Wright then ?

• RMweb Premium

Here is another illustration of what can be done with weathering powders using the method recommended by Humbrol. No problem at all in getting the weathering mixture to stick to this Hornby Gresley, and I can now work on it at leisure, and remove or add as I wish. This isn't finished yet, and the roof still has to be painted, but it is coming on quite well, and within a few minutes of work being done it can be handled without risk of the powders being removed.

post-98-0-63909300-1390839201_thumb.jpg

As we have a bit of light for a change, I have also done another shot of the fish vans. They look a bit better this time I think? Arguably they aren't dirty enough though, so I shall experiment further.

post-98-0-73785000-1390839363_thumb.jpg

• Like 11

A quick note on weathering vans and coaches generally.

Although I am far from being an expert I do tend to work reasonably quickly when fit and when it comes to weathering roofs by brush or air brush I use a general grey and after each van I add a spot of a lighter or darker paint so every roof turns out a different colour, I cringe when I see an exhibition layout or one in the model press with identical almost out of the box rakes.

The fish vans are crying out for some serious abuse with perhaps a dash of tartar sauce? 

Silly Old Cod of Ancaster

• Like 3

I just been given a copy of Model Rail Rolling Stock Weathering Expert. Some very good techniques displayed. A Maroon Stanier and Blood and Custard Gresley are very well weathered - worth a look I'd say!

Edited by davidw

Nice Thames Trader flatbed under Crescent Bridge as well.

Do you mean that light coloured vehicle just right of the locomotives Jonathon? If so, that's a Thames 400E drop side, same cab as this;

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Thames_400E

this is a Thames Trader, somewhat larger;

http://www.oldclassiccar.co.uk/50_fordthamestrader.htm

Gilbert - you know golf is a wildly overrated pastime!

Nice to see the gaggle of youngsters copping their fill at the platform end - When I see your pics, my only criticism is that there rarely seems to be any one around to enjoy the interaction.

Mind you having been shopping for some 00 characters myself I can understand why!

Not to mention the total a***ache of painting them!

I've been following this thread with interest for a while as it brings back a lot of childhood memories. I like BR steam ECML layouts with lots of green Pacifics; indeed I've thought of giving it a go myself, but I'm looking at something a little east of the ECML. Your pics of the 9f bring back a memory I was going to ask if you could recreate. I remember a sweltering hot day in about 1961, I was at Wood Walton watching a 9f which had stooped at a signal struggling to restart a northbound train of mineral wagons. Every time it tried to start it slipped, and the crew were hanging out of the cab to get some respite from the sweltering heat. I think in the end another loco had to be sent back from Peterborough to rescue it.

Keep the pics coming, looking forward to seeing what comes next.

• Like 1

Like the new vans G. Please remind me what they are; you know what I am with coaches and vans - have not got a clue unless it's green (or maroon with an S as a prefix)!

P

Mr Duck:  you'd normally see said vans (assuming you mean the pair in the first two pics?) painted green, as they were from the mid 1950s onwards, with the code "Van B" on them.  Basically a GUV in more usual parlance.  Reminds me, I need to get a green one myself....

• RMweb Gold

Like the new vans G. Please remind me what they are; you know what I am with coaches and vans - have not got a clue unless it's green (or maroon with an S as a prefix)!

P

Look at the roof profile. Only the Southern had vans like those! So, actually, you mean an S suffix!

• RMweb Premium

Gilbert,

Here's one for you to replicate!  Two years later and the pilot is a N2 though. Did Bogie Bolsters have roller bearings in 1958?

Tony

Lovely photo Tony. In order to replicate that properly though I need to deal with the telegraph poles, and whenever I think of that my heart sinks. The two in view are about the least complex ones, which makes it even worse. The photo has given me one very interesting idea though...... A feasibility study will take place.

• RMweb Gold

Hello Tim and Mallard

The postings about the vans need a little clarification….

The 8-wheel van is a Southern Region Van B; the 4-wheel vehicle is a Van BY. These were fitted with Guard accommodation whereas GUVs weren’t – hence the ‘B’ in the description. Neither is specifically for newspaper traffic, although either might well have been used for such.

Those that were ‘dedicated’ to newspaper traffic carried roofboards as per link below…but, as you will see, the vehicle is a long way off its route!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/robertcwp/3316741061/

Although you can’t see it in the above photo, stove-fitted vans (B or BY) were distinguished by a small ‘chimney’ on the roof offset to one side above the Guard’s compartment and orange panels on the top left and right hand corners as well as on the bottom half of the Guard’s door. The link below shows that more clearly.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rgadsdon/6774231718/in/set-72157624322947536

The Vans B and BY weren’t supposed to work off the SR, but a BR circular from 1958 states that they were all missing! I have seen one as far away as Mallaig!

Brian

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Gilbert - you know golf is a wildly overrated pastime!

Nice to see the gaggle of youngsters copping their fill at the platform end - When I see your pics, my only criticism is that there rarely seems to be any one around to enjoy the interaction.

Mind you having been shopping for some 00 characters myself I can understand why!

Not to mention the total a***ache of painting them!

I've been trying to play golf for 50 years, so it is an addiction now I'm afraid. Not many years ago I had a handicap of 8, which has slipped alarmingly, so I have issues with that too, and want to get back towards my previous standards.

As to people on the layout, yes there should be more, though most passengers may have congregated under the roof I suppose. Mind you I have a photo somewhere showing large puddles on the platforms even under there, so perhaps most stayed inside when it was raining. I've said it many times before, but people on layouts are what destroys all sense of reality for me. I found two packs of Langley figures the other day, while looking for something else of course, and frankly they did not inspire me to start painting them.