Peterborough North

great northern

• RMweb Premium

Hello Tim and Mallard

The postings about the vans need a little clarification….

The 8-wheel van is a Southern Region Van B; the 4-wheel vehicle is a Van BY. These were fitted with Guard accommodation whereas GUVs weren’t – hence the ‘B’ in the description. Neither is specifically for newspaper traffic, although either might well have been used for such.

Those that were ‘dedicated’ to newspaper traffic carried roofboards as per link below…but, as you will see, the vehicle is a long way off its route!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/robertcwp/3316741061/

Although you can’t see it in the above photo, stove-fitted vans (B or BY) were distinguished by a small ‘chimney’ on the roof offset to one side above the Guard’s compartment and orange panels on the top left and right hand corners as well as on the bottom half of the Guard’s door. The link below shows that more clearly.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rgadsdon/6774231718/in/set-72157624322947536

The Vans B and BY weren’t supposed to work off the SR, but a BR circular from 1958 states that they were all missing! I have seen one as far away as Mallaig!

Brian

Thanks Brian. That duck really should know better. :jester:  The HMRS survey carried out in July 1958 shows several ex Southern vans attached to trains passing through Peterborough, so I've taken advantage of these nice Hornby offerings. I believe that they should be even filthier than I have made them though?

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hello Bigwordsmith and Gilbert

The 1958 article in the Jan-Mar 2012 HMRS Journal lists the following running numbers, to which I have added some detail (stove etc):

Van B (8-wheel)

S216S – Not stove-fitted

S396S – Stove-fitted

Van BY (4-wheel)

S404S – Stove fitted

PMV (4-wheel Parcels & Misc Vans)

S1276S – Even planking

S1343S – Even planking

S1373S – 2+2 planking

S1479S – 2+2 planking

S1489S – 2+2 planking

S1621S – Plywood sides

The Vans B and BY can certainly be ‘converted’ from the Hornby models shown in Gilbert's photo. However, BYs Nos.400 and 401 were fitted with side lamp irons for working certain freights west of Exeter (and of which I have only found one photo!) so best avoid those.

PMV models will be available from Bachmann soon. Note that they are not the same as CCTs (which had end doors). I gather Bachmann will make these, too.

The question of ‘what exactly is a utility van’ is a vexed one with many variations. Friends and I have an explanatory article in hand, so I can’t go into much detail here. Tri-ang didn’t help matters back in the late 1950s when they produced what they called a ‘Utility Van’ but was in fact ‘an impression’ (rather than a scale model) of a Corridor Parcels & Misc Van (CorPMV)! A very small cast plate near the running number stated the load and just PMV (not CorPMV!).

And just to add to the confusion, the Southern Railway called them Gangwayed Bogie Luggage Van (GBL)!

Incidentally, one such latter vehicle was in Winston Churchill’s funeral train in 1965 (albeit having been painted Umber & Cream about three years earlier). I’m hopeful that Hornby will give us a newly-tooled model soon. The fact that the actual vehicle has been preserved gives me even greater hope.

Brian

Incidentally, one such latter vehicle was in Winston Churchill’s funeral train in 1965 (albeit having been painted Umber & Cream about three years earlier). I’m hopeful that Hornby will give us a newly-tooled model soon. The fact that the actual vehicle has been preserved gives me even greater hope.

Brian

Isn't it preserved in America somewhere, furthermore I seem to remember there is a platform built around it? I can't see Hornby paying for their 'scanner man' to go all the way out there! 

I had assumed it was painted in Pullman colours specially for the funeral train, interesting it was done previous to that. Are there others of this diagram preserved?

Tony

• RMweb Gold

Hello Tony

It was in the USA with a platform around it but has been back in the UK (Swanage) for some time. It was definitely painted in those colours in July 1962 (acccording to Mike King, author of SR coaching stock books). I'll try to find out about any others preserved.

Brian

Isn't it preserved in America somewhere, furthermore I seem to remember there is a platform built around it? I can't see Hornby paying for their 'scanner man' to go all the way out there! 

I had assumed it was painted in Pullman colours specially for the funeral train, interesting it was done previous to that. Are there others of this diagram preserved?

Tony

try here

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SR_Battle_of_Britain_class_21C151_Winston_Churchill

• RMweb Gold

Given the 100% mortality rate among humans, it was certain an ageing Churchill would die some time, and I suspect BR simply anticipated the event. In the same way, newspapers have obituaries for the elderly famous stored away ready for the event. These can be dusted off at short notice, no doubt just as Stewarts Lane did for this vehicle!

The Vans B and BY weren’t supposed to work off the SR, but a BR circular from 1958 states that they were all missing!

That doesn't surprise me in the slightest.  They crop up very frequently in Dr Ian C Allen's photographs of the GE area and seem to have been very popular.  The Hornby model is very nice and we replaced a kit built one on Thurston with one last year.

They did seem to attract the dirt, though - perhaps none of the numbers were legible so no-one could tell that they were the vehicles Control kept asking about?

• RMweb Premium

Sorry to ask this but somewhere in this thread (about a year ago?) I got a bit of advice about replacing the Railroad valve gear (on a Railroad Mallard) and the cylinders (I think was suggested). I've spent hours going through this and tried the search facility in several ways and nowt turns up.

Can anyone please remind me about what I need? 

Originally this Railroad version was to be EMd. No more! It will be running on OO on the BR, SR west of England main line on an enthusiasts special in 1963. However I will be making a certain amount of effort to 'detail' it to a reasonable standard.  

Thanks.

P

Given the 100% mortality rate among humans, it was certain an ageing Churchill would die some time, and I suspect BR simply anticipated the event. In the same way, newspapers have obituaries for the elderly famous stored away ready for the event. These can be dusted off at short notice, no doubt just as Stewarts Lane did for this vehicle!

Ian,

I remember reading something similar to this shortly after Churchill's funeral, in 1965. Though I've looked at dozens of pictures of Southern Pullman trains, I cannot find a picture of this particular umber and cream vehicle being used in general service. The 'Golden Arrow' frequently had vans of the same bogie type at either end or both ends of the train on occasions, or four-wheeled SR types or BR GUVs, though none turns up in anything other than plain green or maroon. So, it might well be concluded that it was painted in anticipation of it being used exclusively as a hearse-car for the great man.

Since, I believe, Churchill played a great part in planning his own funeral, and knowing that his remains would be conveyed by train to near Blenheim, it's probably safe to assume that the authorities had already earmarked the stock, and the motive power. As to the route, I've also read that Churchill insisted that departure be from Waterloo, not (the more likely, journey-wise?) Paddington. Why? Because he thought so little of the French President.

Off topic, I know, but I hope of interest.  

I've also read that Churchill insisted that departure be from Waterloo

In the version I've heard, Churchill had planned what was quite a circuitous route from Waterloo (Paddington having been the official choice), but told the military officer sent to seek his approval for the plans that in the event de Gaulle predeceased him, they could depart from wherever they liked. 

Edit - sadly perhaps not true.  Brief research on the Internet produced this:

At first sight, railway geography would seem to support the myth.  To get from London to Bladon, Waterloo would not be your first choice of station.  The obvious departure station would be Paddington, from which a train can get to central Oxfordshire very directly.  However, if the organisers definitely wanted to include a journey down the Thames, the problem is that Paddington is a long way from the river: it would be a case of a road procession from St Pauls to Tower Hill, a barge from there to the West End followed by a second road procession through Mayfair and Bayswater.  Waterloo is not only almost on the riverbank, but there is a fairly direct rail route from there to Reading, where the train can join the main line from Paddington and on to Oxfordshire. Moreover, for obvious reasons the train was hauled by the locomotive “Winston Churchill”.  Although the railways were nationalised in 1947, in England and Wales the former railway companies had survived as largely-autonomous “Regions” within British Railways.  “Winston Churchill” was built by the Southern Railway, and in 1965 (although only a few months from withdrawal) was based at Salisbury, on the Southern Region’s lines out of Waterloo.  It is probably safe to say that at that time there were no loco crew at all on British Rail who were qualified both to drive “Winston Churchill” and to drive trains from Paddington to Reading; on the other hand almost all Waterloo-Reading line steam crews would have been able to handle the engine.  It is also likely that special work would have been needed to make sure that a Southern Region engine would even have been able to run on the Paddington-Reading line safely.  In other words, using Waterloo solved two issues: how to get the procession from boat to train easily, and also how to ensure the right engine could be used on the train with minimal special effort. I hope the above is helpful to you.  On balance, I think it is highly unlikely that the use of Waterloo was purely to annoy De Gaulle – although I can imagine that when it became apparent that Waterloo would be the most straightforward terminus to use, it would have raised a few wry smiles on the planning committee!’

(From 'Beachcombing's Bizarre History' here).

Edited by jwealleans

• RMweb Gold

So, it might well be concluded that it was painted in anticipation of it being used exclusively as a hearse-car for the great man.

Hello Tony

Author Mike King in his book An Illustrated History of Southern Coaches (page 194) states that the vehicle was, indeed, painted in readiness for this sombre duty. His caption accompanying a photo of the van on page 223 states that the photo was (quote): "...taken in July 1963, during one of the van's rare appearances outside Stewarts Lane carriage sheds".

Brian

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I fear Hornby would see such a vehicle as simply competing with the Bogie Van B - for which they seem unable to make enough copies to meet demand in some liveries - and will continue to flog (in both senses!) the elderly Tri-ang model in various versions. I do not get the impression the Churchill-liveried gangwayed-van rushed of the shelves. Apart from patriots and collectors, who would feel they had a use for one in those colours?

While at Digitrains the other day, I was shown a Heljan original baby Deltic. I rather like them, useless though they were. And of course with the money I had "saved" by not having a sound decoder in the WD, I could afford it, couldn't I?  Temptation was courageously resisted though,..... for the time being at least. It's tea time.

Somewhere I saw a photo recently of a Baby Deltic at Peterboro' on one of those Kings Cross to Peterborough trains..........

Tony

While at Digitrains the other day, I was shown a Heljan original baby Deltic. I rather like them, useless though they were. And of course with the money I had "saved" by not having a sound decoder in the WD, I could afford it, couldn't I?  Temptation was courageously resisted though,..... for the time being at least. It's tea time.

Gilbert

As others have pointed out before resistance is futile! Great photos as always

Ian

• RMweb Gold

And of course I had  deleted them from the camera too. " Oh bother", I said. 

I would be prepared to wager a fairly substantial sum that that isn't all you said... :)

Lovely photos, I especially like your artistic effort, which to my mind is eminently successful.

Al.

• Like 1

Somewhere I saw a photo recently of a Baby Deltic at Peterboro' on one of those Kings Cross to Peterborough trains..........

Tony

Rest assured, Baby Deltics turned up at Peterborough often. I have seen them myself, still got some of my old spotting books if ever I feel like searching through them. Resistance is futile...

Stewart

Edited by stewartingram
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Baby Deltic assimilation; resistance is futile. However I am  led to believe they could only get to Peterborough from the X. Any further and they died.

Really like that dubdee; pity someone can't knock up a decent sound chip for that or any other steam loco I've heard. The diseasels are mostly OK especially Digitrains ones from SWD but I've yet to hear a decent steam file.

P

• RMweb Premium

Hi Gilbert

Don't buy a Baby Deltic, or model one. They tend to multiply very quickly.

post-16423-0-65576100-1391812786.jpg

Some scratchbuilt, some cut and shut Tri-ang 37s and one Lima 40. I don't know how the carriage heating unit got in the photo. :scratchhead:

post-16423-0-06621200-1391813091_thumb.jpg

All being scratchbuilt plus one Heljan.

• Like 4