Peterborough North

great northern

• RMweb Premium

In the very first shot I thought at first you had photoshopped the real bridge above your J6..........What superb workmanship in that metalwork......... Gravy Train I presume...?

No, it is the old bridge from the loft layout Larry. Gravy Train will be doing a new one soon, as the brick paper on this one is bubbling. Allan Downes created this one. I had a Roco girder bridge which I bought all of 25 years ago, and that shows how long PN has been on my mind. Allan built around it to get something that looked similar to the real thing, and did a great job. Funnily enough when I looked at that image close up I too was surprised how good the bridge looked.

• RMweb Premium

Happy anniversary matey. I too left full time employment in 2002, but not until November. However I have done some bits and bobs since to feed my addiction........I'm even doing overtime now to pay for rather too many Spams (sorry Chris.....) Yippee..... :mail:

Well G you have excelled with these mate. Really really good shots. I rather like the ads on the fence around the Hotel grounds; nice touch. I think I probably prefer the last two pics.

That Cleethorpes place was a popular destination and place from which to escape. There was a train from there to Bournemouth (originally) and then Sidmouth/Exmouth from 1960 until 1962, SO July and August. There was a return working the same day too. Very interesting working and highly amusing stock used on occasion; took over 11 hours :mosking:

• RMweb Premium

Some excellent new viewpoints there Gilbert!  Love the K3 too.

We will share this anniversary if you don't mind, as I have today agreed an early retirement from the civil service!   Not 'real' retirement, I am moving on to part time employment somewhere else in a rather more interesting role, and I won't be leaving until the end of July, but today is the day I will remember!

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Some excellent new viewpoints there Gilbert!  Love the K3 too.

We will share this anniversary if you don't mind, as I have today agreed an early retirement from the civil service!   Not 'real' retirement, I am moving on to part time employment somewhere else in a rather more interesting role, and I won't be leaving until the end of July, but today is the day I will remember!

Many congratulations. Your life will become so much better in a few months time. :yes:  There are more similarities between us. I too was a civil servant, though not by choice, and I too moved swiftly to part time employment. It wasn't hard - a week after I retired a neighbouring area asked me to do agency work for them. So, I specified where I was prepared to go, Melton Mowbray, very civilised, and the days of the week I would work, mainly Tuesday - ladies day at the Golf Club :sungum:  I've never looked back.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Happy anniversary matey. I too left full time employment in 2002, but not until November. However I have done some bits and bobs since to feed my addiction........I'm even doing overtime now to pay for rather too many Spams (sorry Chris.....) Yippee..... :mail:

Well G you have excelled with these mate. Really really good shots. I rather like the ads on the fence around the Hotel grounds; nice touch. I think I probably prefer the last two pics.

That Cleethorpes place was a popular destination and place from which to escape. There was a train from there to Bournemouth (originally) and then Sidmouth/Exmouth from 1960 until 1962, SO July and August. There was a return working the same day too. Very interesting working and highly amusing stock used on occasion; took over 11 hours :mosking:

At least it was corridor stock though, unlike the notorious Nottingham- Skegness/Mablethorpe excursions.

Good Morning Gilbert

These photos of yours just get better and better every time you add to your thread.

I know exactly what you mean regarding retirement, I took an early retirement/redundancy package after working for nearly 32 years in the building services section of one of the High Streets well known financial institutions, it will be Six years ago this Christmas since I left.

That's when I got I to Model Railways as an additional Hobby, also just had my second golf lesson this week as well.

All I hope is in Severn years time if my Haymarket 64B layout is a fraction near to the detail and look of your Peterborough North I will then be one very happy retired old git.

Please keep the photos coming, any of A1/1 60113 Great Northern by any chance in the future

Regards

David

Edited by landscapes

• RMweb Premium

At least it was corridor stock though, unlike the notorious Nottingham- Skegness/Mablethorpe excursions.

I have got a Thompson Semi Corridor Lav Composite (NG)* to build though as I have a pic of one of those on this train, thoughtfully placed next to the loco !

I've read about those Skeggy excursions and the 'difficulties' on the return after a days boozing! 

P

*Now cheaper than the new RTR version in kit form and I enjoy building coaches. OK so I've got to paint it ....... :this:

Edited by Mallard60022

• RMweb Premium

Is/was New Clee actually a 'railway' place in Grimsby? (Being serious for a change!)

P

New Clee was the only station on the branch from Grimsby Docks station to Cleethorpes and in addition, to quote from Scenes from the past No 5 by King and Hewins " the sidings at New Clee were extensive, and ran alongside the main line from New Clee station as far as Fuller Street, and covered most of the land between the railway and the Humber bank. They were built to handle fish trains, incoming coal traffic, as well as a holding area for excursions visiting Cleethorpes".

I can't post photos for copyright reasons, but I do have several images showing quite large numbers of excursion trains lined up waiting to back down for their return journeys, and it would seem that these are in fact of New Clee sidings.

Hi Gilbert,  Essentially I made my statement based on my own memories.  I used to work at the Grimsby Docks Bch of the then National Provincial Bank and I can remember seeing fish trains coming out of the docks and entering the main line somewhere just before the infamous Cleethorpes Rd level crossing (replaced by an overpass eventually) down past the old Midland Bank and the Royal Dock Hotel.  In addition to the King and Hewins book, which is very useful, I have Railways of Lincolnshire  and in it just as you say there is a reference to "long running Banbury fish train" picking up is load at New Clee Sidings so your roster book is correct

Edited by Theakerr

• RMweb Premium

I'm very lucky not to be reporting the demise of Peterborough North folks, as disaster has been literally hanging overhead for some time. A visitor to the layout earlier this week pointed out to me that the bookcases above the fiddle yard seemed to be coming away from the wall. No, said I, its the wall that isn't vertical. Fortunately though, later on I went and checked, and when I removed the blue card from the front I saw to my horror that indeed the rawlplugs were being pulled away from the wall, and the whole very heavy thing had already begun to topple forward. I removed as many books as I could, and first thing yesterday morning I called my local joiner, and asked him to come and assess the situation. " I'll be there in 15 minutes " he said, and he was. " I can deal with that no problem" he said. "Wiil it be safe in the meantime?" , I asked, to which he replied, "I'll do it now", and he did, standing on my stepladder, and having to reach across over three feet to get at it. Half an hour later, job done, situation rectified, and one very relieved layout owner.

Had it come down, it would have crushed all the stock in half of the fiddle yard at least, and no doubt would have taken a chunk of baseboard with it. I'm not sure I would have had the willpower to even try to put that right, as Brilliant Baseboards aren't available any more, and a lot of the stock isn't easily replaceable. Even Bachmann Mk1's aren't easy to come by now, let alone all the kit built locos and stock. Anyway, thank goodness it didn't happen.

• Like 1