Peterborough North

great northern

The driver of 60514 is probably delighted with his Thompson loco seeing as it managed to get going and haul a train despite being in mid-gear and no reverser linkage to the cab.  :boast: And my, that Hornby A3 looks the bess-knees. Finally, what continuing controversy over photo-shopping?....I must have missed that one....!

Edited by coachmann

Pix look great to me GN.

The A3 looks well too (lamps?). Interesting to note the train being 17:35 off King's Cross for Newcastle and being a Grantham turn. In the 1938 timetable there was a 5.45pm Newcastle(!) which goes to show how long-lived some workings were. It was closely followed by the 5.50pm Leeds which, judging by the dwell time at Grantham was probably a loco change and thus a likely Grantham working.

• RMweb Premium

Mid gear as usual with RTR, however is that not the 'linkage' dangling under the footplate on the left side (on side)? I CBA to get my books out to check what the reverser linkage should look like on these beasties :nono:

Great pics G; much more exciting than watching golf balls.

P

Edited by Mallard60022

Mid gear as usual with RTR, however is that not the 'linkage' dangling under the footplate on the left side (on side)? I CBA to get my books out to check what the reverser linkage should look like on these beasties :nono:

Great pics G; much more exciting than watching golf balls.

P

A very bent version it should be going into the raised firebox cover .

Nice pictures as usual

Isn't it amazing when you look at these - how dramatically close we're getting as a hobby to portraying realistic representations  of the real thing.

My wife tells me that in some way what we're doing here is actually a form of art - in 3D and with moving parts

Great stuff Gilbert!

• Like 2

Given that all the other twirly bits work, how difficult would it be to make the gear 'work' - in as much as you could poke it into forward, or reverse or mid gear.  It really bugs me.  I know it shouldn't, but it does.

And its even worse with sound fitted locos, making all the wrong sounds at the wrong times.  

We all have our lines in the sand, Mr Wright's is loco lamps, mine is everything in mid gear, yours will be something else

• Like 1

I'm under orders from my Chiropractor to take it easy this week, so going down to the Driving Range and walloping poor helpless golf balls has to be curtailed, which means I have time to run some trains, and even to take some photos. I have left most of these exactly as they came out, as I didn't consider the background clutter to be too distracting, but in view of the continuing controversy about photoshopping of images I'd appreciate your views.

attachicon.gif111 1.jpg

We start with the 5.35pm KX- Newcastle, a Grantham duty. This is an attempt at another new vantage point, and brings the ****** bookcases back into play, though they are fairly well bleached out by the strong light. I didn't fancy trying to shop that lot, and my opinion is that attention will be on the loco, so the clutter doesn't intrude. Do you agree though?

attachicon.gif111 2.jpg

Same with this one, little non railway stuff to be seen. As usual though the use of zoom causes one or two strange effects.

attachicon.gif111 3.jpg

I like A3 close ups.

attachicon.gif514 1.jpg

The Newcastle was followed by the 5.00pm from KX, a job for a local A2, though I'm sure this five coach load was not what Mr Thompson had in mind when he designed the class. Why is the loco so clean? Just out of works after a general.

attachicon.gif514 3.jpg

Nearly the end of a far from taxing duty for the A2, as it passes an arrival from Kings Lynn behind the usual Ivatt 4. I felt a sky was needed here, as there were a number of distracting vertical lines, and the light had created halos around the roofs which looked peculiar. You don't see things like that when looking at the layout, so I take the view that there is nothing wrong in editing them out, as they are a creation of the camera.

attachicon.gif514 4.jpg

And the A2 now at rest also.

attachicon.gif514 5.jpg

This one proved impossible to photoshop!

attachicon.gif1073.jpg

Finally, a decrepit local B1 which has staggered down Stoke Bank with a local from Grantham. It too will go no further. This one had to have a sky added, and I reckon it does account for the very strong light. And I carefully straightened that signal before I took the photo. :angry:

Hi Gilbert

That second photo of A3 60111 Enterprise looks superb.

I hope you don't mind me asking you again, i believe you use the Canon G12 camera, i did try to purchase this camera myself but it's now been replaced so I went for the Canon G1X which is a fine camera but I do not seem to get the same quality of model railway photos that  you put on your thread.

With regards to that second photo may I ask which settings you use on your camera to take the picture, also do you use a tripod to get a larger depth of field and do you have the camera on the manual setting.

Regards

David 

Edited by landscapes

• RMweb Premium

I think the first photo is amazing and I honestly didn't notice the background until you mentioned it; you're right in that the eye is so focused on the loco and coach it assumes all the background is part of the scene and leaves them out of consideration.  For me, it would have been more distracting if you'd 'shopped a sky into the picture...

And yes, the A3 close up is lovely...

David

• RMweb Premium

Pix look great to me GN.

The A3 looks well too (lamps?). Interesting to note the train being 17:35 off King's Cross for Newcastle and being a Grantham turn. In the 1938 timetable there was a 5.45pm Newcastle(!) which goes to show how long-lived some workings were. It was closely followed by the 5.50pm Leeds which, judging by the dwell time at Grantham was probably a loco change and thus a likely Grantham working.

Oh, how could I miss that? :blush_mini:  Enterprise is a recent addition, and I remember drilling out the lamps for her, so I assumed they were there. That's no excuse of course for missing the evidence of my own eyes. Now I have to figure out what I did with them.

As to that 1735 to Newcastle, it seems to have been a long standing businessman's service, and a prestige one, so it is somewhat surprising that it was a Grantham duty at a time when that shed had only single blast A3's to its name. A testament to the Grantham crews and maintenance staff I suppose that they could get good and reliable work from engines that were not performing well elsewhere. Another interesting point is that this train ran just 50 minutes after the Tees Tyne Pullman, so there must have been a lot of well heeled Tynesiders about in those days.

• RMweb Premium

I'm under orders from my Chiropractor to take it easy this week, so going down to the Driving Range and walloping poor helpless golf balls has to be curtailed, which means I have time to run some trains, and even to take some photos. I have left most of these exactly as they came out, as I didn't consider the background clutter to be too distracting, but in view of the continuing controversy about photoshopping of images I'd appreciate your views.

attachicon.gif111 1.jpg

We start with the 5.35pm KX- Newcastle, a Grantham duty. This is an attempt at another new vantage point, and brings the ****** bookcases back into play, though they are fairly well bleached out by the strong light. I didn't fancy trying to shop that lot, and my opinion is that attention will be on the loco, so the clutter doesn't intrude. Do you agree though?

attachicon.gif111 2.jpg

Same with this one, little non railway stuff to be seen. As usual though the use of zoom causes one or two strange effects.

attachicon.gif111 3.jpg

I like A3 close ups.

attachicon.gif514 1.jpg

The Newcastle was followed by the 5.00pm from KX, a job for a local A2, though I'm sure this five coach load was not what Mr Thompson had in mind when he designed the class. Why is the loco so clean? Just out of works after a general.

attachicon.gif514 3.jpg

Nearly the end of a far from taxing duty for the A2, as it passes an arrival from Kings Lynn behind the usual Ivatt 4. I felt a sky was needed here, as there were a number of distracting vertical lines, and the light had created halos around the roofs which looked peculiar. You don't see things like that when looking at the layout, so I take the view that there is nothing wrong in editing them out, as they are a creation of the camera.

attachicon.gif514 4.jpg

And the A2 now at rest also.

attachicon.gif514 5.jpg

This one proved impossible to photoshop!

attachicon.gif1073.jpg

Finally, a decrepit local B1 which has staggered down Stoke Bank with a local from Grantham. It too will go no further. This one had to have a sky added, and I reckon it does account for the very strong light. And I carefully straightened that signal before I took the photo. :angry:

Hi Gilbert

That second photo of A3 60111 Enterprise looks superb.

I hope you don't mind me asking you again, i believe you use the Canon G12 camera, i did try to purchase this camera myself but it's now been replaced so I went for the Canon G1X which is a fine camera but I do not seem to get the same quality of model railway photos that  you put on your thread.

With regards to that second photo may I ask which settings you use on your camera to take the picture, also do you use a tripod to get a larger depth of field and do you have the camera on the manual setting.

Regards

David 

Still using the G12 David, and almost invariably on the manual setting, as more can be done with a RAW image. I broke my tripod a while ago, and haven't replaced it yet, so the camera just sits on a bit of board to keep things level. The second photo was 0.8 seconds at f8, ISO 80 and with a focal length of 10mm. Only a minute later I needed 4 seconds exposure, such are the light variations in my room!

Given that all the other twirly bits work, how difficult would it be to make the gear 'work' - in as much as you could poke it into forward, or reverse or mid gear.  It really bugs me.  I know it shouldn't, but it does.

And its even worse with sound fitted locos, making all the wrong sounds at the wrong times.  

We all have our lines in the sand, Mr Wright's is loco lamps, mine is everything in mid gear, yours will be something else

I've certainly seen that done in O gauge using DCC, one of the LNER k's can't remember if it was a K1 or K3.

Still using the G12 David, and almost invariably on the manual setting, as more can be done with a RAW image. I broke my tripod a while ago, and haven't replaced it yet, so the camera just sits on a bit of board to keep things level. The second photo was 0.8 seconds at f8, ISO 80 and with a focal length of 10mm. Only a minute later I needed 4 seconds exposure, such are the light variations in my room!

Hi Gilbert

Many thanks for the information.

I forgot that you can focus down to Around 10mm with the G12, the G1X only goes down to around 200mm and that proberly makes all the difference

I will keep trying using different settings.

Regards

David

Ah, Chamossaire, she will be the subject of a 7mm loco, IF I ever complete Alcazar.........

My favourite A2/3, as a lad, on a shed visit to Doncaster, I was photographed, along with a few older boys, standing on the footplate beside the boiler.

She features in both the cover shot and inside Paul Bolgers "BR Steam Motive Power depots, (ER)", in ex-works condition at New England, with several railway men fussing round her....probably wondering what bits they hadn't seen for years under the grime, actually were.

One wonders if the "Plant" workers sighed when locos from new England and Gateshead arrived on works.......?

Gilbert: the first shot with the bookcase. You were correct. I had to LOOK for the bookcase. Excellent shot.

New Haven Neil: Romford wheelnuts: have you tried pressing plasticscene into the axle ends, then painting over it? It can be removed if necessary. You can even represent the dimple or hollow axle.

• Like 1

Hi Gilbert

Wow that last photo, So real, I a sure I was there somewhere in the crowd.

Keep them coming they just get better and better, also great depth of field to the photo as well.

Regards

David

Edited by landscapes

• RMweb Premium

Another 'O wow' for the last photo from me, GN. If the 'obvious errors' are such that you have to point them out to us then why worry about them? :friends:

It's OK at normal size, but if you increase it you will see that part of the signal box roof has been "eaten", and there are halos around the buildings. I'm afraid that does worry me - I'm good at worrying!