Peterborough North

great northern

You may be late but you're here, and that's good news of itself!

Tetley Mills provided the ability to focus in on so many tight aspects that just screamed realism that it made me want to curl up in a heap and give up - I watched the video about three times and bid - unsuccessfully - for  some of the buildings, so to me at least your opinion matters.

The consensus seems to be that a bit of background enhancement, effective cropping and rail height views are all fair use of the tools available, it's when people move to the esoteric and fake the shot heavily that I personally  don\t like. From the number of 'agrees' that have popped up I'd say that's probably a majority view, but to be honest it's aimed more at magazine editors than the modellers who do a damn tough job.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Of course, if you cleared the tables of all that model railway malarkey you'd not only have somewhere safe to store all your books but no need for photoshopping.

:)

Yes, but then I'd have to find somewhere to store all the model railway stuff. :scratchhead: :dontknow:

• RMweb Premium

Yes, but then I'd have to find somewhere to store all the model railway stuff. :scratchhead: :dontknow:

I have a good space.........It could convert into a BR SR station ..........Ooops, I hear the sound of a large rifle being loaded :scared:

Quickers

• RMweb Premium

Oooooh, very, very nice (just returned from my brisk walk, glass of wine by the canal :imsohappy:; slightly brisker walk home as the rain arrived).

I do like that 'Departmental' coach G. Splendid job from both you and Tim. It is the 'secondary' items such as this that really make your layout come to life. 

(Edit due to wine effect)

P

Edited by Mallard60022

Ref the transfers for the Departmental coach, I found these in Modelmaster's range:-

Picture Price: £5.25  1 2 3 4 5    
0 in cart
ENPARTS, STORES VAN, MESS VAN & other ex Coaching Stock markings & numbers CREAM

Reference : 4663c

No Picture Price: £5.25  1 2 3 4 5    
0 in cart
As 4663c, but YELLOW

Reference : 4663y

No Picture Price: out of print  1 2 3 4 5    
0 in cart
Breakdown Train numbering & lettering for Crane, Jib, Packing, Tool & Mess Vans. 1948 - 1959

• RMweb Premium

I saw the BSO first hand on Sunday, was shown were the joins were (only able to spot them when holding the coach up to the light, basically) so know where to look but I am damned if I can see them in the photos.

It was a pleasure to meet you at York; looking forward to the next time we do.

• RMweb Premium

Ref the transfers for the Departmental coach, I found these in Modelmaster's range:-

Picture Price: £5.25  1 2 3 4 5    
0 in cart
ENPARTS, STORES VAN, MESS VAN & other ex Coaching Stock markings & numbers CREAM

Reference : 4663c

No Picture Price: £5.25  1 2 3 4 5    
0 in cart
As 4663c, but YELLOW

Reference : 4663y

No Picture Price: out of print  1 2 3 4 5    
0 in cart
Breakdown Train numbering & lettering for Crane, Jib, Packing, Tool & Mess Vans. 1948 - 1959

Many thanks. Not sure how I missed that. :senile:

• RMweb Premium

The ex.GNR Departmental coach is a good idea. Is it one of John Fozards kits?  I also like the Mk.I conversion. If you need another five, it might be a easy to put etched sides on Backmann innards.

The coach is D&S Larry, 25 years old or more. As to etched sides, I'm still trying to find someone who will put some on Hornby Gresleys like the one you kindly sold to me. I did carry out an assessment as to whether I could do the job myself, but I think it is beyond me,

• RMweb Premium

I saw the BSO first hand on Sunday, was shown were the joins were (only able to spot them when holding the coach up to the light, basically) so know where to look but I am damned if I can see them in the photos.

It was a pleasure to meet you at York; looking forward to the next time we do.

Good to meet you also Jason. We shall hopefully be able to arrange something in June.

Easy enough done- 'Departmental Coaches' are listed under 'Wagons', not 'Coaching Stock'..

Ah, I see. Not that intuitive then. :scratchhead:

• RMweb Premium

Gilbert, where would the A1 have taken over the train for the "Mark Lane Flyer"? Grantham?

That's correct Jeff. A five coach core left Nottingham, no doubt behind a Colwick engine, and three more coaches were added at Grantham, where the Kings Cross engine took over. Pacifics were very rare on the Grantham - Nottingham line, whenever I visited Grantham all the trains had B1's L1's K2's and the occasional J6 or even a J39 or J11. I have seen photos of Pacifics on Colwick shed, but apparently they only went there for repairs at times of pressure elsewhere.

• RMweb Premium

It has been rather inclement round these parts today, so having got a trifle damp while shopping, (the other sort), this morning, thoughts of golf or even walking were put back, which meant more trains, and more photos, though I now wish I hadn't, as these have been a pig to deal with. Why did the LNER have to pick lattice post signals? :ireful: And why is there so much light in the room even when it is really gloomy outside? :angry:  I don't recommend viewing these at any other than normal size, as there are many errors which I didn't see until too late, and couldn't be ***** to go way back and correct. Rant over, here are the photos.

post-98-0-71408000-1398187186_thumb.jpg

Taken with a telephoto lens from the other end of Platform 3, an A1 negotiates the curve with the 8.00am KX - Leeds.  Best categorised as a near miss I think. Being able to see the rest of the train the other side of the bridge spoils the hoped for effect.

post-98-0-33692700-1398187375_thumb.jpg

post-98-0-34450500-1398187424_thumb.jpg

It's only Great Central again. Who nicked that signal box finial?

post-98-0-39714700-1398187522_thumb.jpg

Nice nameplate.....

post-98-0-23481900-1398187711_thumb.jpg

The sky I selected accurately reflects the weather outside, but it seems to make photoshopping very difficult. This is one of the few I didn't reject. The train is a New England- Hatfield Class H, of very mixed composition.

post-98-0-07994500-1398187929_thumb.jpg

Focus on stock rather than loco for a change. Those signals look nice, but take an age to deal with.

post-98-0-50491700-1398188106_thumb.jpg

This one was easier, thank goodness.

post-98-0-07999100-1398188260_thumb.jpg

And this one was easier still. Am I alone in seeing a sort of functional beauty in this loco?

• Like 19

Gilbert - as ever great pics and I loved the one looking through the canopy

Hope you don't mind, but I've done a wee edit...

post-10395-0-15073700-1398188950.png

I find that sometimes putting the loco off centre adds to the realism and tightening into he centre of the frame increases the atmosphere, but then I've learned to like that style as I lack your skills with Photoshop! 

ATB

Peter

Edited by bigwordsmith
  • Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Some more cracking photos, and I agree with Theakerr, the shot through the station ls brilliant.

EDIT: To ask, the A1 already has a set of lamps, so did you just add the others to make them stand out, or is there some LNER etiquette I'm not aware of?

Edited by acg_mr

That's correct Jeff. A five coach core left Nottingham, no doubt behind a Colwick engine, and three more coaches were added at Grantham, where the Kings Cross engine took over. Pacifics were very rare on the Grantham - Nottingham line, whenever I visited Grantham all the trains had B1's L1's K2's and the occasional J6 or even a J39 or J11. I have seen photos of Pacifics on Colwick shed, but apparently they only went there for repairs at times of pressure elsewhere.

Pacifics and V2s were'nt allowed over the Grantham/Notts. line . They were RA9 (route availability) , too high for that route. I believe it was to do with a bridge or two in the Bottesford area , and the high axle weight of the engines . Someone may know better , but I believe that was the case .

I still follow and enjoy your wonderful railway/conversations Gilbert , keep 'em coming .

Regards , Roy .

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Some more cracking photos, and I agree with Theakerr, the shot through the station ls brilliant.

EDIT: To ask, the A1 already has a set of lamps, so did you just add the others to make them stand out, or is there some LNER etiquette I'm not aware of?

Some LNER locos built after the war were fitted with electric lighting, including the A1's. Apparently though they weren't very reliable, so a pair of traditional lamps were used too. Railwaymen back then were very conservative. Quite a number of locos had the electric lighting removed during their lives. New fangled rubbish!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Pacifics and V2s were'nt allowed over the Grantham/Notts. line . They were RA9 (route availability) , too high for that route. I believe it was to do with a bridge or two in the Bottesford area , and the high axle weight of the engines . Someone may know better , but I believe that was the case .

I still follow and enjoy your wonderful railway/conversations Gilbert , keep 'em coming .

Regards , Roy .

I do have some photos of Pacifics at Colwick Roy, always captioned as being there for repairs, and I believe they had to travel there and back light engine. I can't post any I'm afraid- copyright issues.

• RMweb Gold

Taken with a telephoto lens from the other end of Platform 3, an A1 negotiates the curve with the 8.00am KX - Leeds.  Best categorised as a near miss I think. Being able to see the rest of the train the other side of the bridge spoils the hoped for effect.

The problem here is that your lens has been set with an aperture that allows too much depth-of-field, hence the rest of the train, which is quite some distance behind the loco, appears in focus and thus looks "wrong". By contrast, the foreground being blurred and out of focus looks realistic. Isolating a subject is a powerful tool, but needs work in such confined circs. Try it again with a larger aperture?