Peterborough North

great northern

• RMweb Premium

Yup, I'm well fluxed as they would say in Japan.

My plan is:

to furnish a post from some brass square profile 'tube' with holes in;

then use brass rod for the whatever they are called cross piece things.

Then Andy Y will get some hibernating , u shaped bats for me and away we go.

I'm so excited now I could almost lay an egg, however I'm actually a Drake; I forgot that.

I shall use Klear and talcum powder for 'weathering' the post.

At least I have not got to cut up my socks to make thousands of wires.......................

Further advice will not be welcome.

Quack

P.S. It is Saturday and I am allowed to ruin Gilbert's perfectly sensible thread. Until he gets home that is, from bashing his balls around the golf lake.

Are you feeling a little better, you rash duck. Not that I'm suggesting that you do have a rash, of course. Anyway, having dug yourself a deep pit, how do you propose to get out of it? And none of that " with one bound he was free" stuff either.

I take one look away from this thread to actually go and see something in NSW, and the second I close it my work order gets longer.

At least it's now Duck season on those telegraph poles. I would have gone insane doing them in CAD!

• RMweb Gold

Does anyone know if ABS Streetscene items are still available? In particular bus detailing parts such as radiators and seats.

Yes it is relevant to the thread, all will be revealed in time.

Stewart.

You could always ask Mr abs himself who seems to spend time on various parts of this forum ;)  You never know he might like to talk about his own products rather than someone else's

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Does anyone know if ABS Streetscene items are still available? In particular bus detailing parts such as radiators and seats.

Yes it is relevant to the thread, all will be revealed in time.

Stewart.

ABS Models, 39 Napier Road,  Poole, Dorset , BH15 4LX

01202 672891

• RMweb Premium

Are you feeling a little better, you rash duck. Not that I'm suggesting that you do have a rash, of course. Anyway, having dug yourself a deep pit, how do you propose to get out of it? And none of that " with one bound he was free" stuff either.

Well I did suggest that I would build one post but other naughty boys are bullying me poking my beak and saying I should do more. They have even found photographs never before seen on PN....rotters. 

Would you really like me to have a go at building the completely barmy one behind that GPO Rivet Detector Van then Gilbert or would you rather someone with actual skills do it ?

Telegraph poles with multiple cross members should be easy..........Etch the cross arms with nodules on 22thou brass and solder them to brass rod. Yup they'll be flat but not so obvious when painted dark greyish brown. If this is up the pole, maybe someone should wire Gilbert for some more layout images to bring things back to terra firma.  :toclue:

Telegraph poles with multiple cross members should be easy..........Etch the cross arms with nodules on 22thou brass and solder them to brass rod. Yup they'll be flat but not so obvious when painted dark greyish brown. If this is up the pole, maybe someone should wire Gilbert for some more layout images to bring things back to terra firma.  :toclue:

post-18225-0-70673400-1415543865_thumb.jpg

Having looked at the prototype images, not having (at least a representation of) those telegraph poles will be a serious omission in my view.

The gadget above is what I use to make the bespoke ones on Little Bytham (more details on Wright Writes). It was used to fashion all the poles on the Gresley Beat and was made in mild steel by Mick Nicholson I believe. I'm borrowing it for the moment, then it goes to Retford. The cross-rails and insulators were cast by Dan Pinnock. 

One just selects a suitable diameter of brass/copper rod, tins it, puts it into the jig then solders on the cross-rails with low-melt. Obviously, the stock rod isn't tapered, but the effect is perfectly acceptable to me. 

It takes me about three hours or so to make each pole (up to 19 cross-rails), prime, paint and weather. 

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium

May I copy that pic Tony? That's a super idea. Thanks........

Thanks too Coach; good thinking. 

Acg_mr could you PM me please?  Many thanks....didn't mean to sound like a bossy duck!

I can make a jig out of some old nest material  suitable wood and maybe you could put me in touch with Dan Pinnock re the cast bits?  Thanks...

If not I'll think up some wheeze.

I can get the Insulators from Express Models; theirs look superb.insulator-short-7cm.jpgI need some myself anyway

If someone could just help me counting the bits ...

I make it 17 struts but in one pic it looks like there are two sets of not identical struts and posssibly some short ones on the 'front' side (6 or 7)?

post-2326-0-13645400-1415545727.jpg

post-2326-0-02515000-1415545737_thumb.jpg

Scaling it should be OK by using the GPO van and the building and railway vans (for size comparison) in Gilbert's pics.

Gilbert, could I ask you to measure the height of that building (the layout one.... :mail: ) please; to the chimney top would be good if you wouldn't mind.

P

Edited by Mallard60022
  • Like 4

What a fantastic photo resource. I had a good browse through the railway pics you linked, then a flick through the City Centre ones. I'm sure that selection pulled out a few more. As I was looking for bus & tram shots, I then went to the Bishops Road selection (the old bus station area that was shown within the City Centre search), and even more bus shots came up that weren't in the City Centre link. So the moral is, keep looking through!

Stewart

You might also like this site http://www.britainfromabove.org.uk/asearch?search=peterborough

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I take one look away from this thread to actually go and see something in NSW, and the second I close it my work order gets longer.

At least it's now Duck season on those telegraph poles. I would have gone insane doing them in CAD!

Don't count your chickens, or ducks for that matter, Zane. Seems a perfect subject for your expertise to me. :jester:

• RMweb Premium

Well I did suggest that I would build one post but other naughty boys are bullying me poking my beak and saying I should do more. They have even found photographs never before seen on PN....rotters. 

Would you really like me to have a go at building the completely barmy one behind that GPO Rivet Detector Van then Gilbert or would you rather someone with actual skills do it ?

This all started as a joke Phil, and really it should stay that way. You have enough on your plate, what with kitchens and Geoff's stuff, not to mention your own layout, which should take priority for whatever spare time you have. This would be a horrible tedious task, and I really don't want to lumber you with it.

• RMweb Premium

Hi, new to this site so excuse me for butting in, the Royal Mail Van is a 1960s Morris LC5 while Langley make an earlier LC3 with separate headlights but basically the same body. I believe the mudguards were made of rubber.

I remember those vans with rubber bits from when I worked in the Royal Mail/Post Office Sorting Office at Christmas in the early 60s. Blimey, I can smell the fried breakfast aroma wafting up from the Depot basement even now.....such happy days.

P

• RMweb Premium

Gilbert,

I don't know if you are aware but there are some fantastic photos of the station and surrounding areas as well as other railway views on Peterborough Images (http://www.peterboroughimages.co.uk/blog/?cat=11). Some have only been added in the last couple of weeks by the photographer I have mentioned above, he/she seems to be adding archive material, presumably as time allows for scanning and uploading. His/her contact details are there as well, I will not link any much as I would like to in case of any copyright issues even though it is said that the site uses copyright free images.

Hi Richard,

I've contacted the gentleman again, and he says he is quite happy for his images to be put on here. He believes that the copyright for most if not all would not be possible to establish now anyway. He has said he will remove any for which copyright can be proved, and I'm happy to take the same attitude, so I shall now start looking for more scenes that I might be able to reproduce in model form.

• Like 7

Hmmm Gilbert - I looked at that pic which I thought was wonderful.

However, I couldn't help but find myself wondering where the bat sanctuary had gone - then of course I realises it wouldn't have been visible in that view!

I sooooo look forward to Mr. Duck's work!

Hi, new to this site so excuse me for butting in, the Royal Mail Van is a 1960s Morris LC5 while Langley make an earlier LC3 with separate headlights but basically the same body. I believe the mudguards were made of rubber.

Hi Woolydog - good to see you posting on RMWeb

This is Gilbert's forum who is undoubtedly one of the great and good seers of the hobby but you'll also pretty much find most anyone who's anyone on the ECML scene chipping in form time to time. 

As my brother in law mused today when I told him of some of the exchanges we've been part of on this forum, - "Isn't it funny how we may mot all share the same interests but as chaps of a certain age, we all tend to have similar experiences of life!"

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I've has some more thoughts..... Bit worrying really, I might run out of my quota at this rate. One sudden revelation was that I don't always have to rush straight downstairs and start processing and posting images as soon as I've taken them. Why not take a few, then get on with running the layout, and do the processing etc later? What an earth shattering thought. :O  And then...... I had another one :swoon:  How about seeing how much of the sequence I can get through in two hours?  Then, with a bit of self discipline, I could get through the whole thing within a month at most, thus keeping everything running much more regularly. So, this morning, off I went to run for two hours, at the end of which I was seventeen moves further along. That included a tea break, and the taking of some photos, which I had promised myself I would not do. :nono:

This bit of the sequence is actually quite complex, as it includes a number of shunting and light engine moves, so I reckon 20 in two hours is realistic. That would mean I could get through the whole thing in 18 sessions, or I would if I wasn't going to put some more moves in. Thus, a resolution has been made. I shall operate more, and manage my time better. To prove that all of this can work, here are the rest of the photos I took yesterday.

post-98-0-87978100-1415637113_thumb.jpg

A Welwyn Garden City - Colwick Class D gives employment to one of the three Standard 5s which Top shed were given for a couple of years. They didn't seem to think much of them - I've only seen one photo of them working during their allocation, and that was on a coal train. Anyway, this one has been handed something a bit more challenging today. As to the seemingly odd angle of loco to tender, for once I did notice and checked. It is perfectly OK, so it is down to the camera again.

post-98-0-62750700-1415637415_thumb.jpg

I did think of putting a sky on this one, but not for long. Now, today's images. I really wasn't going to do any, but when two moves came up, I couldn't resist it. We have now got two trains at the excursion platform, easily accomodated as they only stretch to two bogies each.

post-98-0-19081700-1415637542_thumb.jpg

This is the 6.15pm to Grantham, the return journey of the stock brought in by the A5. It is being used to get 60122 to where it needs to be for its next duty. It may look, and seem, improbable, but there are plenty of prototype images to confirm such things happened. At least it would earn a bit of revenue, though not a lot, rather than taking up a path as a light engine.

post-98-0-74342900-1415637907_thumb.jpg

Behind it is the East shuttle, which again has been used to save a light engine movement. Nottinghan Forest is diagrammed to take a later train back to East Anglia, so this was a convenient way to get her here, as well as being an excuse for me to see another B17.

post-98-0-40485700-1415638140_thumb.jpg

post-98-0-16190500-1415638184_thumb.jpg

And then we have a ghost train. It must be, as this loco was withdrawn four years ago. I love these pre grouping survivors though, and as I know I'm not alone in that, the camera stayed out to capture the J3 taking a short trip working from South yard to New England. Not too taxing for an old lady. A sky on these, you will notice, and quite a nice one I reckon. Economy of effort , you see, as all of these could be shopped in just a few minutes. I have to go and sit down now, to recover from all this thinking.

• Like 19

• RMweb Premium

I've seen evidence of those 73xxx working KGX-CBG turns, so maybe that is where they hid them? (Occasionally)

Stewart

It would be logical, wouldn't it? They were equivalent in power to a B1, and the B1s at KX spent most of their time on Outer Suburban and Cambridge trains. 73071 was loaned for AWS trials in 1956, and I've seen photos of that one on Cambridge duties, but never 73157-9. Perhaps they were just so commonplace that photographers didn't "waste" film on them?