Peterborough North

great northern

• RMweb Premium

Are the lamps from the  source below any good for you? I'm really twitching about those superb but obese ones. yes, I know wev'e been there before and I'm not trying to be picky. I just think they look too damn big.

http://www.3smr.co.uk/locoscomponents.html     item L201

Sick duck from 36E

Thanks Phil, I will have a look at those. I suspect though that if I just use the Springside LNER lamps, and remember to weather them, there will be a big improvement, as shown in the photos that will appear shortly. And, having very belatedly realised that all the red lamps I have accumulated as spares whenever I buy another packet can very easily be converted into something useful, just by applying a bit of white paint, I have a ready source of replacements for those oversize BR ones. Still sick Phil? I hope you have been to the Quack.

• RMweb Premium

This has worried me now...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-30076961

You are worried.............? Just don't buy any goods made in China....oh dear.....there goes my Baccy or Hornby 9F then.

Slightly dodgy Parish Council name too.........(read the sign/article) :scared:

Beakblocked of 36E

Edited by Mallard60022

Six under handicap for the first nine holes yesterday. :danced: Things are looking up. So, this morning I confidently tackled another of those lovely photos from peterboroughimages.co.uk, whose copyright is acknowledged. This one, I thought, is going to be easy...... :no:  And here it is.

attachicon.gifcrescentbridgesteam.jpg

Very gloomy and misty here today, so one or two little difficulties to overcome as regards lighting, but nothing compared to the difficulty of reproducing this image. I had several goes, but none of them worked, caused I think by both the inability of my camera, good though it is, to do what the original photographer could do, and by the compression and over severe curve under Crescent Bridge. A bigger camera would give more options, but then of course I couldn't get anywhere near as close to rail level, so I will just have to accept this is the closest I can get.

attachicon.gifA4's 3.jpg

This is what happens if I try to include any of 60013's train.

attachicon.gifA4's 5.jpg

This is as close as I could get to the original photographer's view point. It has many deficiencies, but I did get 60010's cabside number a bit sharper than he did.

attachicon.gifA4's 2.jpg

And this is I think the nicest shot of what my camera can actually see. Not much like the original, but perhaps I'm better off recording what is actually there, rather than trying to recreate the real thing. Have you noticed those telegraph poles by the way?

Very atmospheric and a laudable attempt to recreate the 'real thing'. I also think it's wise to try and get the best model railway picture, especially where the real view is impossible to replicate exactly.

May I comment on 60010, given your striving for accuracy overall on PN? It looks to be a Hornby A4, and, if so, is it as supplied or has it been renumbered/renamed? I cannot find a prototype picture of DOMINION OF CANADA in BR green carrying her coats of arms on the cabsides, even in single-chimney guise. Both cabsides are just plain below the numbers (which on your model are far too low); not even a worksplate being present.

I built a model of '10 for a customer many years ago and instructed Ian Rathbone to paint it accordingly, without the coats of arms. I also included the flange at the base of the tender tank which used to carry the stainless steel strip in her 'Coronation' days. The effect is important because it makes the tender soleplate appear lower than the loco footplate, as is clear in the prototype picture. 60013 also has this feature - in fact it's quite prominent in the real shot. I also asked Ian to paint the area above the tender beading black on 60010's 1928 tender. Referring to the prototype picture again, it certainly looks black, but this subject has been aired before.

Since I invite constructive criticisms on Wright Writes (and, quite rightly, get them), I hope these 'observations' are taken in the spirit in which they're given and not as nit-picking. Certainly, if the loco were a commission, I'd make reference to the cabside 'errors' to the appropriate party. 

As for those telegraph poles. I'm making enquiries with Dan Pinnock as to whether he can still supply the cast cross-rails and insulators. They go up to four a side (and might suit you). If I can get some, I'll pass them on; then it's just a case of soldering them to appropriate brass rod (by the dozen, and dozen....................!)

Edited to be more specific. My apologies.

Edited by Tony Wright
  • Like 2

Canada lost its crest in 1948 as did South Africa at its last shopping by BR . I wouldn't lose any sleep over it as to remove them would probably ruin the cabsides or a repaint at a minimum .Its your model rule applies!!.  Corridor Tender tops were Black in LNER days (some will argue otherwise) no idea on BR version.

Canada lost its crest in 1948 as did South Africa at its last shopping by BR . I wouldn't lose any sleep over it as to remove them would probably ruin the cabsides or a repaint at a minimum .Its your model rule applies!!.  Corridor Tender tops were Black in LNER days (some will argue otherwise) no idea on BR version.

Are you sure that 60009 lost it's crest in '48 I'm sure I've seen photo's with a crest as late as 60 /61? agree on the tender tops 

Are you sure that 60009 lost it's crest in '48 I'm sure I've seen photo's with a crest as late as 60 /61? agree on the tender tops 

You have misread my post, SA lost her Crests at her last BR shopping i.e 1960's before the end of BR Steam.

cheers

More slight nitpicking, but didn't 60013 have roller bearing tender 5647 from April 12th 1955?

I'm looking at ways to make the frames for those available, but pictures out my way are scarce.

According to Yeadon's She certainly did, tender 5647 had Hoffmann Bearings  and was fitted to DONZ on that date and had it through to the end. (Difference is I had to look it up).

As for making the frames, You never cease to amaze me Zane, is there anything you won't have a go at ?

With young blokes like you around, the future of the Hobby is bright.

Great Pictures Gilbert, a real sense of the original achieved. But it's of A4's so I'm always going to say that. :declare:

edited (and again not very well) for grammar

Edited by The Blue Streak

According to Yeadon's She certainly did, tender 5647 had Hoffmann Bearings  and was fitted to DONZ on that date and had it through to the end. (Difference is I had to look it up).

Hate to ask, but are there any pics of the bearing covers in there?

As for making the frames, You never cease to amaze me Zane, is there anything you won't have a go at ?

Cheers. About the only thing I won't have a go at is trying to keep myself sane!

Gilbert, I must admit that I am yet to start those lamps, but am hoping to find the time over the weekend.

• Like 1

Hate to ask, but are there any pics of the bearing covers in there?

Cheers. About the only thing I won't have a go at is trying to keep myself sane!

Gilbert, I must admit that I am yet to start those lamps, but am hoping to find the time over the weekend.

yes they have pictures

• RMweb Premium

I've sent Zane a picture as requested, but it's pretty grainy. Hopefully one of you nice chaps on here can help him out with a good one.

Sorry about going OT here Gilbert, thought it might be relevant. Especially if young Zane is so keen on making new things for East Coast mainline modellers.

No problem with going off topic, in fact, it isn't, as we are talking about railways, and LNER/ECML specifically. I could mention a particular thread which seems rarely to have any railway related replies, and even less regarding the layout it is supposed to be about, but I won't.

Just to clarify things. 60010 is as supplied by Hornby, save for the addition of etched plates, so it was wrong at source. Frankly, I didn't notice, and it does not particularly worry me. Yes, I want to get things right, but when I say that I refer to the big things, rather than matters of individual detail. Having locos or stock which were totally inappropriate would be unacceptable, as would running them in an inappropriate way, and obviously I want to get the infrastructure as nearly right as possible. The whole thing is compromised though, so perfection cannot be obtained anyway. I will try to get things right, and when Tim does locos we always try to find good photos to work from, but if a nameplate is not quite where it should be, I don't get worked up about it. So, number 10 will be duly changed when Tim is next here, and number 13 will get a representation of the Hoffman bearings too, as it is a quick and easy job. I suppose I should be more observant, but there we go.

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

".........as would running them in an inappropriate way......."

Now this is what we have to consider. What is/was appropriate?

See below (and I do not apologise that this is not about an ER Pacific.. )

I have a picture of a Merchant Navy, running tender first, west out of Axminster, hauling an Exmouth Exeter 5 car Suburban Mk1 set on a morning local to Exeter. So what you cry? Well I would never have modelled that had I not seen the photo. 

When I do model it the loco will probably have the incorrect tender and the driver's cycle clips will be incorrectly positioned ; I don't care.

As this is Gilbert's thread can I please ask folk not to go off on one about the SR and its unusual policy of using huge loco's for weird trains! Also, don't talk about the war......However, do continue to encourage Gilbert to avoid golf and post more pics. I want to see an A4 on a sludge train/weed killing thing/Donny female spotter's special to Wansford.

Many thanks.

Groan.

P.S. I won't post the picture as it is Copyright.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

There were people spotting females at Donny?  Was there an Ian Allen for them?

Why go to Wansford?  Particularly rare females to be seen there?

Refer to previous posting about a year or so ago in PN....Ref Hotpants. Gilbert was not amused then and will probably get very annoyed now as I am being naughty again.

Wansford......nah, just a completely alien place for an A4 going backwards.

There will be one supporter of PN who can refer you to the exact post......not me. :mail:

Quack.

Edited by Mallard60022