Peterborough North

great northern

• RMweb Gold

There are no wires because the nearest pole is not in fact a telegraph pole. Its a mobile bat sanctuary attached to the roof of the Morris van....

Thanks Coach, I'm glad we cleared that up :O

Umm...

Why was there a mobile bat sanctuary on top of the GPO van?  :scratchhead: :scratchhead:

The Bristol L is available from EFE or Corgi, I forget which. Might not be a wide one but in 4mm who cares. Other vehicles in that shot are an Austin taxi, Austin Princess, Standard Vanguard (ugh, I had one), a pre-war Hillman and a late 1940's Morris Commercial GPO van.

Corgi Original Omnibus do the Bristol L5G in Eastern Counties livery cat ref no 97868

Ian

• RMweb Premium

As you probably know, Gilbert, I chose to make my own telegraph poles as nothing ready-to-plonk matched the prototype poles I was wanting to portray.

However, those I am modelling are a couple of orders of magnitude less complex than those you show in the photograph, and I wouldn't know where to start to reproduce them accurately.

That being said, and as teaky says, they are an essential part of "the scene" of 19th and 20th century railways, so some representation should be attempted.

My feeling is that if you don't try and represent them, you will always feel there is something missing.

(BTW they are nearly as bad to photoshop around as a lattice signal post :( )

Thanks Al, you've hit the nail on the head there. Nothing worse than something constantly nagging away at you every time you look at the layout. Having said that, your last paragraph is a powerful disincentive. :scared:  Perhaps they won't feature too often in photos, says he hopefully. Still got to find a way of doing them though. Even Gravy Train went rather quiet when I showed him the photos.

• RMweb Premium

I have checked the GPO Records at Kew (for the Nene District/Peterborough) for the years leading up to 1958 and the Railway Telegraph archive at the NRM for the same period. Those Poles were dismantled by at latest December 1957. Does that make you feel more at ease Gilbert? Amazing what one can do when insomnia overcomes one.

All the best.

Mad duck of 36E (who, by the way, has Bird Flu this morning)

• RMweb Premium

Been doing a bit of digging. If you go to the Langley website http://www.langley-models.co.uk/acatalog/Online_Catalogue_OO_Vehicle_kits_G1___G84_23.html and look at the vehicle kit G40, you will find a familiar GPO van listed. Any help?

I also had a quick rummage through my bits box. Reckon I might have enough bits to reassemble into OOC's version of the L. Equal standard to your "bridge bus"? Looks like there might also be some bits to make a K (d/d, aka the Bristol version of your bridge bus). Remember that conversion scan I sent, to make it into a proper LKH? Now, no promises mind, but I'm on extended sick leave at the moment, might just have a play....

Stewart

Sorry Stewart. You see, the bus had been removed from the visible part of the bridge, but then I needed to rest the camera just where it was, so I moved it along "temporarily", but forgot to put it out of sight again. Perhaps it should be relocated to a nice remote drawer? I'll certainly look for that GPO van, which does not seem to create the same kind of minefield as buses do.

• RMweb Premium

There are no wires because the nearest pole is not in fact a telegraph pole. Its a mobile bat sanctuary attached to the roof of the Morris van....

Oh,******, Now I'll have to find a kit for a mobile bat sanctuary. And who does the bats? :jester: And what type of bat should they be? Do they need weathering? And do I need to model them upside down? :devil:

• RMweb Premium

Read post #6479 mate. No bats, you must be bowled over with excitement........................ but Telephone Man is out for a duck....................

P

The bowler's Holding, the batsman's Willy. 

....and now, the 'leg over' joke please......I'm having that Jonners clip played at my wake.

Edited by Mallard60022

• RMweb Premium

Read post #6479 mate. No bats, you must be bowled over with excitement........................ but Telephone Man is out for a duck....................

P

The batsman's Holding, the bowler's Willy. 

....and now, the 'leg over' joke please......I'm having that Jonners clip played at my wake.

Sorry to hear you are under the weather, Duck. I shall be under it too shortly, though in a different way. I have a slight problem here though - I'm never sure whether you are being serious. Were those poles really dismantled in 1957? I'm sure I've seen later photos showing some still in place, though I don't have any later ones of the forecourt.

• RMweb Premium

Sorry to hear you are under the weather, Duck. I shall be under it too shortly, though in a different way. I have a slight problem here though - I'm never sure whether you are being serious. Were those poles really dismantled in 1957? I'm sure I've seen later photos showing some still in place, though I don't have any later ones of the forecourt.

Rumbled ....again. However I think it could be worth trying to get hold of a 1958 Forecourt Shot. Someone in Peterborough will have this or know about this.

Tell you what, if it was still there in August 1958 and you get a genuine pic of it I'll build that damn pole as punishment for being a naughty duck.

Quackishoooooooo.

Edited by Mallard60022
  • Like 5

Rumbled ....again. However I think it could be worth trying to get hold of a 1958 Forecourt Shot. Someone in Peterborough will have this or know about this.

Tell you what, if it was still there in August 1958 and you get a genuine pic of it I'll build that damn pole as punishment for being a naughty duck.

Quackishoooooooo.

:good:

post-15323-0-00253500-1415449509.jpg

• Like 14

• RMweb Premium

:good:

Oh nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo! I'm migrating.........now!

Great pic by the way.

Actually I've just noticed the the signal on the left in that pic has the same style of concrete post as the Telegraph 'Pole' outside the Station Entrance.

Now if that means the entrance pole is a LNER/BRER pole/post I can't build one as I am not in their Union.

Sincere apologies.

Quackers.

Edited by Mallard60022
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Oh nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo! I'm migrating.........now!

Great pic by the way.

Actually I've just noticed the the signal on the left in that pic has the same style of concrete post as the Telegraph 'Pole' outside the Station Entrance.

Now if that means the entrance pole is a LNER/BRER pole/post I can't build one as I am not in their Union.

Sincere apologies.

Quackers.

Bad luck Phil, I can give you some pointers on how to model them if you want...

GN only needs a few... say ten at the most...

:D

• RMweb Premium

Bad luck Phil, I can give you some pointers on how to model them if you want...

GN only needs a few... say ten at the most...

:D

That's ever so nice of you. It was only the one outside the entrance I offered to do in my weak moment. However, now that an Adams Radial Tank will be seen transferred, as one was, to Peterborough for trials on Station Pilot duties during the August 1958 Summer Timetable, I do not need to rush the project if I get my Union dispensation to construct. This is due to the whole place being covered in froth.

Goodnight all.

P

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Yup, I'm well fluxed as they would say in Japan.

My plan is:

to furnish a post from some brass square profile 'tube' with holes in;

then use brass rod for the whatever they are called cross piece things.

Then Andy Y will get some hibernating , u shaped bats for me and away we go.

I'm so excited now I could almost lay an egg, however I'm actually a Drake; I forgot that.

I shall use Klear and talcum powder for 'weathering' the post.

At least I have not got to cut up my socks to make thousands of wires.......................

Further advice will not be welcome.

Quack

P.S. It is Saturday and I am allowed to ruin Gilbert's perfectly sensible thread. Until he gets home that is, from bashing his balls around the golf lake.

Edited by Mallard60022

Yup, I'm well fluxed as they would say in Japan.

My plan is:

to furnish a post from some brass square profile 'tube' with holes in;

then use brass rod for the whatever they are called cross piece things.

Then Andy Y will get some hibernating , u shaped bats for me and away we go.

I'm so excited now I could almost lay an egg, however I'm actually a Drake; I forgot that.

I shall use Klear and talcum powder for 'weathering' the post.

At least I have not got to cut up my socks to make thousands of wires.......................

Further advice will not be welcome.

Quack

P.S. It is Saturday and I am allowed to ruin Gilbert's perfectly sensible thread. Until he gets home that is, from bashing his balls around the golf lake.

Only one ;)

post-15323-0-09212700-1415459877.jpg

• Like 12

• RMweb Premium

Gilbert,

I don't know if you are aware but there are some fantastic photos of the station and surrounding areas as well as other railway views on Peterborough Images (http://www.peterboroughimages.co.uk/blog/?cat=11). Some have only been added in the last couple of weeks by the photographer I have mentioned above, he/she seems to be adding archive material, presumably as time allows for scanning and uploading. His/her contact details are there as well, I will not link any much as I would like to in case of any copyright issues even though it is said that the site uses copyright free images.

• Like 3

Gilbert,

I don't know if you are aware but there are some fantastic photos of the station and surrounding areas as well as other railway views on Peterborough Images (http://www.peterboroughimages.co.uk/blog/?cat=11). Some have only been added in the last couple of weeks by the photographer I have mentioned above, he/she seems to be adding archive material, presumably as time allows for scanning and uploading. His/her contact details are there as well, I will not link any much as I would like to in case of any copyright issues even though it is said that the site uses copyright free images.

What a fantastic photo resource. I had a good browse through the railway pics you linked, then a flick through the City Centre ones. I'm sure that selection pulled out a few more. As I was looking for bus & tram shots, I then went to the Bishops Road selection (the old bus station area that was shown within the City Centre search), and even more bus shots came up that weren't in the City Centre link. So the moral is, keep looking through!

Stewart

• RMweb Premium

Gilbert,

Hi Richard,

Yes, I've followed this site for some years now, and it has been a great help, some excellent images, as you rightly say. I seem to remember contacting the owner a while back, to enquire about copyright, as I would certainly have liked to post some of his images on here. The reply must have been either inconclusive or negative, as I have not felt able to do so.