Peterborough North

great northern

• RMweb Premium

Following the interest in the first excerpt from my father's writings regarding my grandfather "Arthur Alexander Holmes" and the references to SPADs etc., I have decided to add a couple of further excerpts - although they are slightly off-topic as they mainly concern goings on around "Westwood Box" by New England.

Directly following the piece regarding the "Queen of Scots" is the following:

"Another driver, the famous Sparshatt coming out of New England loco., did not even look to see if he had a clear signal to proceed to Peterborough station. The result was a derailment at catch points and a great deal of unpleasantness. No doubt the station pilot enjoyed the trip to Kings Cross in Sparshatt’s place". 

An interesting snippet regarding the working of M&GN trains during World War II:

"Arthur was throughout his life a very mild character who rarely wished to go against the rules, but he did take a clear decision to do so during the war. This arose because Westwood Junction controlled the traffic off the M. & G.N. line from Norfolk where a number of large airfields were constructed during the war. Hordes of RAF men and women used the M. & G.N. line for their weekend leaves. The official instructions were that the M. & G.N. passenger trains should always give way to traffic on the main L.N.E.R. line; if these instructions had been carried out the air force people would have had a very frustrating time. So Arthur ignored the instructions and made sure the M. & G.N. trains got into Peterborough North to make connections with the main line trains which at the time were infrequent, long (and so slow) and very crowded "

Then a few asides which give a bit more of the flavour of the post-war times:

"Once the war was over railwaymen joined in the “better world”, which followed. The lot of railway signalmen improved considerably with much better pay and marked reductions in hours of work. The benefits for Arthur were more money to spend, longer holidays, days off during the week, and an assistant in the signal box. Using a wartime expression, the days off were known as “spiv days”. So Arthur’s last few years at work were very pleasant for him and he was able to attend race meetings, cricket matches and football matches on a scale he would never have imagined before 1939.

Both his grandchildren were born before he retired and he was very thrilled one day when he was able to organise a footplate trip for two year old Christopher on the Flying Scotsman itself. (That engine was built just about the time Arthur moved to Peterborough 30 years before)". [I was that boy and I have a suspicion that the event coloured the rest of my life so far! - The trip was from under the "Coal Hopper" at New England Loco and round the Triangle to turn the loco. - Metropolitan H]

Finally there are a couple more references to significant accidents:

"During the 50 years service on the railway Arthur was never involved in an accident, in which he was very lucky. There was for instance a fantastic pile up one night in Peterborough North station when a driver from Immingham who did not know the line took a train to Peterborough when the town was shrouded in thick fog. He passed signals at danger at Westwood, Spital and North Box with all the signalmen waving red lamps and putting detonators on the line. The remarkable thing was that nobody was hurt.

Not long after Arthur retired there was an accident at Westwood which concerned the rebuilt “Hush-Hush” locomotive which failed to find favour with Gresley and was rebuilt in the style of an A4 on its original chassis with four trailing wheels instead of the  normal two – arranged as 4-6-2-2. This engine with an experimental high pressure boiler was built in 1930 and numbered 10000. When the accident happened the engine was numbered 60700 and classified W1.

It seems that something strange happened, possibly as a result of the unusual trailing wheel arrangement just as the train was going North under Westwood bridge; the engine was derailed and appeared to throw itself at the signal box coming to a stop at the bottom of the steps. (The reason was actually a fatigue crack failure of the leading bogie frame. The similar leading bogie frames on the A4s were then checked and found to have similar cracks, which were repaired before there were any more incidents).

A passerby told Arthur about this soon after it happened while he was working in his back garden. He cycled off to have a look and found the signalman on duty suffering from shock, so took charge of the box operating the clear lines until the next signalman came on duty. The railway authorities sent him a pleasant letter of thanks and a cheque for the appropriate amount of pay for the time he was at the box".

Hope these were of interest.I think that is probably enough for now, but if others are really interested I can make the piece more generally available - but be warned it is not all railway focussed.

Regards

Chris H.

Lovely tales of when the railway was 'proper'. There has been a pic of the Whale (60700) wallowing on its side after that incident somewhere on here; maybe even this thread?

Phil

Edited by Mallard60022

• RMweb Gold

When I first became aware of Gravy Train's talent some years back on RMweb, with various structures depicted and described, it seemed that the membership was not very interested. I concluded that, for a large % of members, if it didn't have wheels it wasn't worth a look.

The exceptional quality Peter shows in these recent pics does at least get the recognition it deserves on this thread. Astonishing modelling.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

When I first became aware of Gravy Train's talent some years back on RMweb, with various structures depicted and described, it seemed that the membership was not very interested. I concluded that, for a large % of members, if it didn't have wheels it wasn't worth a look.

The exceptional quality Peter shows in these recent pics does at least get the recognition it deserves on this thread. Astonishing modelling.

Thank you Ian. I wonder if the problem is that some people just don't realise how very difficult and complex Peter's work is?  On this thread, his work will always be appreciated and showcased, for the very simple reason that without it, there would be no layout for me or anyone else to enjoy. I realised from the very start that any model of Peterborough North had to have those instantly recognisable station buildings, that I didn't have a prayer of building them myself, and that the vast majority of other people wouldn't either. Fortunately Peter had already built the hotel for my previous layout, so I knew who to ask. Superlatives are often overused, but in the case of Peter's modelling skills, they are most certainly justified.

• Like 3

I always followed Gravy Trains (Peter's) work in the signal box thread & marveled at the detail in his models.

There is great talent in the hobby a lot of which we don't ever see because people are slow to showcase their work in case it doesn't meet with approval.

More modellers need to be encouraged to show their work. This can be done with friendly support & not the criticism we often see from some.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Gilbert, what about putting some LED ribbon lighting under the book cases ? I don't know for sure if they would alter the colour and contrast on the wall paint enough to make your photo-shopping easier, but it may work. You could mock it up first with temporary lights and see if it makes any difference.  

I just installed some in my railway room. Originally as I wanted to preserve ceiling height, (basement) but the colour and lighting is actually really excellent. One of the advantages of it is that it creates parallel shadows, rather than radial from a fixed point. I don't remember the correct terminology but I also picked a special one (I think called Hi CRI) that is better for illuminating colours more clearly. If anyone wants the actual spec, let me know and I will dig it up.

You can also get LED ribbon now that is programmable for many different colours, so you could make the walls purple or green etc for when you take photos. What ever works best for later processing.  I don't know how much more expensive that is though.   Tom 

• RMweb Premium

I think I'm getting giddy and faint now with all these B17 shots, they are just lovely engines aren't they?

My favourite above all others Tony. Just beautifully proportioned and handsome from any angle. Also part of my very earliest memories, so all in all very special for me. That's why I have more than I need, but less than I want!

• Like 2

My favourite above all others Tony. Just beautifully proportioned and handsome from any angle. Also part of my very earliest memories, so all in all very special for me. That's why I have more than I need, but less than I want!

Gilbert, have you been keeping abreast of the B17 Locomotive Trusts Website. The Frames and Front Buffer beam are now completed. So excellent progress on a new B17.

• Like 3

Like all kids with a new toy, you may have noticed that I'm doing a lot of this heavy cropping. Please do tell me if you think I'm getting a bit over enthusiastic with it.

No, quite the reverse. Some lovely stuff, thanks!

As an aside - when I was a very small my Saturday morning treat was to be taken to Liverpool Street for an hour's trainspotting. I fell in love with the "Sandys". Somewhere there is a box-brownie snap of a little boy posed in front of 61634 - must see if it still exists in my late dad's things.

Chaz

Sometimes I still  have to do a double take to realize this is only a scale model and not 1:1 photos.

As ever Gilbert, this is some excellent stuff. And I think the cropping looks quite fine. The one of the Ivatt 4 in particular looks like any ordinary end of platform shot (ordinary in a good way here). A real credit to you

• RMweb Premium

No, quite the reverse. Some lovely stuff, thanks!

As an aside - when I was a very small my Saturday morning treat was to be taken to Liverpool Street for an hour's trainspotting. I fell in love with the "Sandys". Somewhere there is a box-brownie snap of a little boy posed in front of 61634 - must see if it still exists in my late dad's things.

Chaz

OK, the X was pretty impressive, but when I emerged onto Liverpool Street in 1960 for a couple of hours of spotting, during a round London trip, it was amazing. I almost fainted when I saw lovely, clean Brits and 'The jazz' was just about underway. Then there were the two Pilots in immaculate black livery......oh happy days.

Did I take any notice of the stock.......................nope.

Phil

• RMweb Gold

OK, the X was pretty impressive, but when I emerged onto Liverpool Street in 1960 for a couple of hours of spotting, during a round London trip, it was amazing. I almost fainted when I saw lovely, clean Brits and 'The jazz' was just about underway. Then there were the two Pilots in immaculate black livery......oh happy days.

Did I take any notice of the stock.......................nope.

Phil

The Liv St pilot I recall from 1961 was blue.

• RMweb Gold

Hello. I think that you have got the amount of cropping just right, and the photo's are looking so realistic. Please keep cropping them in the way the you have been doing recently.

I am not sure what is going on with those notifications, I feel baffled!

With best regards,

Rob.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

The thing that really makes PN for me is the consistency of the buildings - so many of us locoholics (guilty) just don't give buildings the time they deserve.  So Peter's beautiful creations just look so right, and add so much to the scene it's hard to quantify.  I'm not familiar with the real PN, too far south for me when I was younger, so I rely on photos to compare to, and the buildings are such a major part of the station as they are so distinctive their 'input' is very important to the overall look, that is really coming together now.

No, I'm not after a discount...... :jester:   just credit where it's due to Peter, who I admit I had not heard of three years ago. 

Edited by New Haven Neil