Peterborough North

great northern

• RMweb Premium

Oh no!

Am I poisoning myself with spoonfuls of Benylin? 

Oh well. It is probably too late to do much about it now.

They didn't say it would do any harm, but they weren't convinced that it would do any good either. "It'll go away in its own good time" was the attitude. Unless it is bronchitis or worse, to be fair.

Very sorry to here you have been unwell, I rather feel you may have caught that from me, I am still battling with it, although the cough has gone.

Most in the cycling club have it in some form definatley down to the mild winter weather.

Peter

Edited by Gravy Train

They didn't say it would do any harm, but they weren't convinced that it would do any good either. "It'll go away in its own good time" was the attitude. Unless it is bronchitis or worse, to be fair.

Part of the dislike of cough suppressants is because the coughing does serve a useful purpose, in moving the pghlem/mucus which harbours infection. If you are coughing up this stuff, get rid of it into a paper tissue, don't smile politely and swallow it. The colour of the mucus is indicative of the presence of a chest infection; yellow, IIRC, is not good, and means antibiotics. My wife had an infection of this sort during the commissioning of the Channel Tunnel, and soldiered on; unfortunately, the infection damaged her lungs, so she now gets two or three bad chest infections every year. And, yes, you can break ribs coughing; she's done that as well.

A grog of lemon, ginger and honey does provide some relief; you can add whisky or rum if you want.

• RMweb Gold

Well I'm a keen cyclist. I, a couple of years ago, had a cold and a cough. I thought that I would go for a bike ride to see if it would help to clear it all away. Well it did help to an extent. The only problem was that part way through the ride, it had got dark, and I had to have my lights on. Then I coughed. The movement from coughing put out my front light! I had to stop and put it back on.

So beware of coughing and bike riding!

With regards,

Rob.

P.S. No smilie, for I am typing this on my tablet.

• RMweb Premium

Bl**dy viruses.

I'm only going to emerge from the duck house in future if I am equipped like that Horace Whimp or was it Howard Huges, or someone dippy; (not Michel Jackson as he was really weird).That is with silk gloves, face mask and antis[c]eptic spray available.

People these days don't clean themselves proper after snotting and hacking into their hands instead of tissues, then they touch stuff. They also cough all over you in shops and sneeze without covering their bl**dy hooter. Worst things that are contaminated are money, cash machine buttons, supermarket basket/trolly handles and handrails. Whole damn population need decontamination, especially those m***ns that spit everywhere. Shops also need to turn off the so**ing heating and air con; it's like Hades in most of them.

There you go, that's told you.

I do actually use Tea Tree Oil rubbed under the nose and that helps stop infectious stuff going up there. It also assists in making me look  angry as it stings a bit.

I am seriously tempted to take out a bottle of antis[c]eptic hand gel as used in hospitals and food prep places.

May you all be healthy in 2016.

Dr. No.

• Like 2

I've had a cold for just over a week and it developed into a cough much the same as yours, GN. Not so bad during the day but keeping me up at night, so I got some TCP and gargled with that first thing in the morning and last thing at night. Together with 'Mentholated Bronchial Balsam' (£3.80 for 200ml at the chemist but £1.80 for 300ml at Asda) during the day, the cough and cold have almost gone. The TCP might pong a bit but who cares if it does the job?

Keep up the good work. I check in everyday to see what's happened on PN.

See here how a Mallard rescues her chick from a hungry Seagull 

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3376243/Beak-careful-Incredible-moment-duckling-saved-clutches-seagull-mother.html

• RMweb Gold

One thing can lead to another. Some years ago I had 'flu over Xmas. The real thing, where you are laid out because you have no go at all, can't eat etc. Temperature, paracetamol every 4 hours. I woke up one morning and it had simply gone. I felt fine, but had a pain in my right ribs, and seemed short of breath, which wasn't asthma, for which I was medicating.

My doc told me I was being rather brave. I had a quite nasty case of pneumonia. The radiographer didn't like the x-ray when he examined it, either. But the prescribed drugs did the trick.

Do get checked out. Sooner is invariably better with health issues.

I already have an underlying lung condition which means I'm running on around 60% of capacity at the moment so when the cold struck I was well felled - I stuck with it for six days until going to the Quack ( sorry Phil :-)) who gave me antibiotics in case it turned into pneumonia or aggravated my existing pneumonitis. 

He did point out that the vast majority of even very heavy chest stuff is viral so antibiotics are not encouraged. However he did say that 90% of over the counter remedies' no harm' but provide little in the way of symptom amelioration. As I said earlier themes effective anti cough med was dihydrocodeine.

I've also go the star pain tot he right of my sternum at the bottom - Chiropractor last week said I've probably strained a rib where it joins the sternum which is cartilage

• RMweb Premium

Just opened this thread for a look at some nice photo's but what I got was a tidal wave of snot - ENOUGH!

You have a point Chaz. I appreciate the concern and advice I'm being given, but perhaps we should not go into too much detail of things medical on a model raiway thread. Today's bulletin is brief. Worse than ever last night, so I've taken Phil's advice, and I have an appointment with my GP this afternoon. I'll report back later, but no more messy stuff will feature.

• RMweb Premium

If Gilbert Doesn't mind I will post up a couple of shots I took a few months ago.

Cheers

Peter

I don't mind at all Peter, please do. As to the bug, I might just as easily have picked it up at the Golf Club, or the Co-op for that matter, so don't concern yourself about it.

Might as well do something while wandering about at 3.30 am, so here is another rather ordinary shot of number 12, with Huddersfield Town behind, having sneaked through on the Up main, and into the bay.

attachicon.giflizzy 5.jpg

I also found this one, which I believe is the first image I ever posted on RMWeb. In fact Andy Y picked up on it, and loaded it up for me. If he hadn't, I might have given up straight away. This is the country section of the old layout, at a time when we had moved down South of Hitchin, for some reason which now escapes me. It would have seemed like a good idea at the time.

attachicon.gifN2 for RMweb.jpg

I didn't know how to do skies then either, but Tom Wright did.

That's more like it, and the only bogies under the coaches!