Peterborough North

great northern

• RMweb Premium

Always inspirational to look at Peter's buildings, please sir, can we have more? (when you are up to it though!)

Well, as you asked so nicely......

post-98-0-84683500-1451947340_thumb.jpg

The old Stationmaster's house.

post-98-0-07046600-1451947443_thumb.jpg

And the tradesman's entrance to the hotel. Its the side door anyway. I tried a new approach on these, going right down to f2.8. It helps with the glare from the windows, but loses all depth of field, so I won't be trying it again.

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium

Well, as you asked so nicely......

attachicon.gifbuildings 4.jpg

The old Stationmaster's house.

attachicon.gifbuildings 5.jpg

And the tradesman's entrance to the hotel. Its the side door anyway. I tried a new approach on these, going right down to f2.8. It helps with the glare from the windows, but loses all depth of field, so I won't be trying it again.

That weathered yellow brick looks just right. The bricked-up window is exquisite.

• Like 1

Good morning Gilbert,

I hope your feeling much better, it seems that everyone has had or having colds, infections etc, nearly everyone I know.

I thought these few photos might be of interest but I don't want to hijack the thread, just deleate when your finished if so.

The comparison of the old and new colour scheme on the Hotel and what was once the rear view.

A couple of early shots of the Station buildings in the build process.

post-1241-0-28389800-1451989389.jpg

post-1241-0-43349500-1451989402.jpg

post-1241-0-48370500-1451989431.jpg

post-1241-0-31341300-1451989474.jpg

post-1241-0-76393200-1451989491.jpg

• Like 15

• RMweb Premium

Good morning Gilbert,

I hope your feeling much better, it seems that everyone has had or having colds, infections etc, nearly everyone I know.

I thought these few photos might be of interest but I don't want to hijack the thread, just deleate when your finished if so.

The comparison of the old and new colour scheme on the Hotel and what was once the rear view.

A couple of early shots of the Station buildings in the build process.

I shall never have a problem with you posting things like this Peter. I'm sure that people are fascinated to see photos of the buildings as work in progress. I'd almost forgotten the hotel in red brick - you did a great job in repainting it, and for me at least it looks much better now.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

attachicon.gifbuildings 6.jpg

This was asking a lot of the camera, as the window is right behind the shot, and the sun had come out. Having fiddled around with it a fair bit, I put it on, but it isn't up to much.

Just when you've decided a shot is rubbish, but posted it anyway, the rest of us go Oooh! superb, magnificent etc. :D

And here, you've done it again. The sky that you've chosen matches perfectly the flare from the sun into the lens, and it just looks like a wintry break through the clouds after rain.

Brilliant photo Gilbert.

Al.

...and not a train in sight - as it would often be. Even on a busy main line like the ECML there would be long periods when little happened. |That's an excellent picture under the canopy, I don't think you need worry about cropping images - I almost never leave my photographs uncropped to some degree or other.

Chaz

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I also like the latest batch of pictures. In particular the black and white one with the sun behind. To me it speaks of pure nostalgia and atmosphere. Unfortunately the current Peterborough station does not match this, although the station hotel does. I was sat in the car park over New Year, the car park was parcels siding and the glimpse of the hotel was just like looking at your photos.

Mike

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

About the photo's. I think that you should post all of them. They really are all so good, and are letting us all see your lovely layout.

The buildings continue to impress. And I look forward to future developments on your layout.

With best regards,

Rob.

Re the black & white shot of the station building, it wasn't until I looked at the cruddy Baby Austin that I realised it wasn't of the real building. I realise that saying things look so real is over-used a lot but.....

Gilbert,

Yea verily to that above. What you have created, here, is a model of a railway, just as it was on a summer's day in 1958, now well over half a century ago.

Wonderful!!

Regards and a very happy new year to you.

Mike

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

And, at the time, I believe the M&GN was the proud owner of the most modern fleet of locos in the country?

Stewart

I would almost accept that. However (and there always has to be one of those does there not) I'm sorry but the SR were also in possession of Rebuilt Packets and Spams and they were the most 'modern' (except for the 9Fs) and the packets really were a fleet :stinker: .

Yo.

O V Bulleid (Esq)

• RMweb Premium

" The rain will clear by 1100, leaving a fine and sunny day". Thus said the Met office, and so we turned up on the first tee, though it was raining hard. Four holes later, raining harder, freezing cold gale, and very unpleasant, in we went. Which leaves me with time to play with some more images, and here, heavily influenced by the work of LS Lowry, is the result.  Francis Rossi was one of those boys.......................think about it.....................yes, keep thinking...........................................there ye go.

attachicon.gifnorth box side.jpg

Nice dustbin, eh?

Yup, that forecast was a load of bo££ocks and I got drenched after being told that I had to go shopping. Strangely I enjoyed that; perhaps I really am a duck? :tease:

Ref the bin G ...have you heard the joke about the Signalman that asked his 'relief' where he had been and the 'relief' man (recently arrived from abroad) replied. "I've bin in the bog, where's you bin?" Hilarious isn't it......................................................... :blackeye:

Ivatt had been a plumber before he joined the railway hence the flying pig's smart appearance. Strangely I rather liked them.................. :sclerosis:

Good to hear you are fit enough to go and thrash some balls.

Sincerely,

Idiot Duck from 34A 

Edited by Mallard60022