Peterborough North

great northern

• RMweb Premium

From looking through the marshalling book there were five sets of triplets diagrammed in the Summer of 1958:

9.40 KX - Newcastle, 5.05 Newcastle - KX; seats 42, - , 36

12.50 Newcastle - KX, 12.30 KX - Newcastle; seats 42, - , 24 (Northumbrian)

9.47 Th Newcastle - KX, 1.45 Fri KX - Newcastle, 10.25 Sat Newcastle - KX, 2.45 Sun KX - Newcastle; seats 42, - , 36

08.00 Newcastle - KX, 2.00 KX - Newcastle (3.00 Sat); seats 48, - , 34 (ex Silver Jubilee set)

9.55 Newcastle - KX, 5.35 KX - Newcastle; seats 42, - , 36

There were five 1924 sets built, five more in 1928 and the two sets in 1938 with longer kitchen cars. Apart from the "standing bar" set and Silver Jubilee set I don't know which other sets were in regular use.

In addition I have found:-

1020 KX - Leeds, 5.33pm Leeds -KX

5.55pm  FX Newcastle-KX  9.40 am MSX KX- Newcastle

I suspect there may be more of the KX- Newcastle which ran on some days only.

Edited by great northern
  • Like 1

Of the 13 triplet sets - 1 1928 set was withdrawn in 1947 due to accident damage and another 1928 set was withdrawn in 1958.

Flood lists 6 sets in use in Summer 1958 (2x 1938 sets required for the Northumbrian). There was also a set in use between KX & Leeds. So I make that 4 spare sets left in 1958.

All were withdrawn in 1960 except the 1938 sets and the Silver Jubilee set with lasted until the end of 1962.

A couple more images to end the day. First a portrait of a lovely shiny A4 as it heads off to New England for a rest and a bit of servicing.

34 close.jpg

and then a closer shot of the slightly later in time meeting of Golden Eagle and Deltic. Apologies for the missing gubbins on the front of the big blue machine, i still can't find them, so they are obviously somewhere very safe.

23 and deltic 2.jpg

Love the portrait of 60034.

• RMweb Premium

Of the 13 triplet sets - 1 1928 set was withdrawn in 1947 due to accident damage and another 1928 set was withdrawn in 1958.

Flood lists 6 sets in use in Summer 1958 (2x 1938 sets required for the Northumbrian). There was also a set in use between KX & Leeds. So I make that 4 spare sets left in 1958.

All were withdrawn in 1960 except the 1938 sets and the Silver Jubilee set with lasted until the end of 1962.

Yup, that's about what I had concluded from my few sources. There was a rolling programme of service/repair as well so the 'spares' were not 'spares' for very long.

I must have seen a Triplet or two but not knowingly as I, like so many other spotty spotters I am sure, never bothered to look at stock in any detail . Thus the enjoyment one gets from looking at layouts such as P North.

Have a lovely weekend break everyone; it is a beautiful day here in 36E. Let's imagine what it would have been like on such a day, just under 60 years ago, as we prepared to "go down the Station/Shed" to see the 'extras' and hope for something just that little different. 

Phil

• RMweb Premium

Yup, that's about what I had concluded from my few sources. There was a rolling programme of service/repair as well so the 'spares' were not 'spares' for very long.

I must have seen a Triplet or two but not knowingly as I, like so many other spotty spotters I am sure, never bothered to look at stock in any detail . Thus the enjoyment one gets from looking at layouts such as P North.

Have a lovely weekend break everyone; it is a beautiful day here in 36E. Let's imagine what it would have been like on such a day, just under 60 years ago, as we prepared to "go down the Station/Shed" to see the 'extras' and hope for something just that little different. 

Phil

Yes indeed Phil, a Bank Holiday Friday back then would have been a scene of constant movement of trains, many extras and normal services strengthened way beyond their normal length. There were a lot of V2s on the ECML though, much to our disappointment. Not a good day to go spotting though, as there was zero tolerance on many stations, unsurprisingly considering the number of genuine passengers on the platforms. The South end of 36E was one of the very few places where we were welcome, but we weren't allowed to stray from there, so it wasn't good if it was raining, and being a Bank Holiday, it usually was.

• Like 2

I reckon these are two of your best shots to date Gilbert.

Peterborough_North_DELTIC.jpg

Peterborough_North_A4_BW.jpg

Just a little more tidying on the A4 (sorry the bracket signal was beyond retrieval) and pulling a little more out of the shadows with the ice cream van and you could be there.

Excellent work with the camera Gilbert.

• Like 10

• RMweb Premium

Oh, but WHAT a noise, Gilbert!  The sound of a Deltic is the sheer evocative sound of power, only beaten by a steam locomotive in full cry.

Not when you are examining the inside of the engine room and the owners representative decides to fire it up without warning us first. Sounded like a cement mixer full of big nuts and bolts and it hurt - took a weak for my ears to recover and then not properly. The smoke in the shed was eye wateringly awful too.

However, we did give an acceptance to work on one engine at the forthcoming Ruislip Depot (LT) Open day - that would be circa 199X (when X is small).

Regards

Chris H

I reckon these are two of your best shots to date Gilbert.

Peterborough_North_DELTIC.jpg

Peterborough_North_A4_BW.jpg

Just a little more tidying on the A4 (sorry the bracket signal was beyond retrieval) and pulling a little more out of the shadows with the ice cream van and you could be there.

Excellent work with the camera Gilbert.

That photo is a testament to how good the Hornby A4 is with minor tweaks

• RMweb Premium

Not when you are examining the inside of the engine room and the owners representative decides to fire it up without warning us first. Sounded like a cement mixer full of big nuts and bolts and it hurt - took a weak for my ears to recover and then not properly. The smoke in the shed was eye wateringly awful too.

However, we did give an acceptance to work on one engine at the forthcoming Ruislip Depot (LT) Open day - that would be circa 199X (when X is small).

Regards

Chris H

Hmm, permit to work...???

The sound of a Deltic  notching up under the roof of Newcastle Central still stays with me - that first take up of power is a fantastic sound. But yes, those gear trains made a right racket, when stopping the engines they did indeed sound like the veritable bucket of old nuts and bolts. 

• RMweb Premium

Latest acquisitions are some little chappies from Modelu. Very nice indeed, though perhaps a bit too red at the moment.

post-98-0-94808100-1458936706_thumb.jpg

I'm not sure why he has come out blurred when the carriage destination board behind is pin sharp. Again the problems of being a recovering locoholic strike. These figures are excellent, and well worth the very reasonable cost, but when you multiply by well over a hundred pairs it gets a bit eye watering.

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

We are a little out of sequence with tonight's images.

post-98-0-84048300-1458946806_thumb.jpg

Before the arrival of Deltic, 62613 is seen accelerating away from number 1 bay. It needn't accelerate for long though, as it is only a mile down to East station, some of it downhill.

post-98-0-51084000-1458946983_thumb.jpg

In the opposite direction from East comes the afternoon Ely - Birmingham service, behind a March B17. Doing these against the light shots in black and white really is the only way to make them at all presentable.

• Like 16

• RMweb Premium

Gilbert - have you tried Icepacks for your back - I have a persistent sacral muscle discomfort and ice packing can sometimes help - hot water bottles are comfortable, but ice seems to be more lasting 

Thanks Peter. I do have an ice pack, and use it now and again on whatever part of my anatomy is playing up at the time. Regular exercises do best for me though, which reminds me I haven't done them yet this morning.

• RMweb Premium

Hi Gilbert

For the Ely-Birmingham service, did the B17 run through to Birmingham or was it taken off before?

Thanks

David

The B17, or whatever GE engine it was that day, would actually have come off at Peterborough East, David. However, given my liking of B17s I have stretched things a bit and moved the engine change up to North. Actually, in this direction it makes sense, as the train sits in Platform 6 for 19 minutes, so there is plenty of time to do it. In the other direction though I stretch things even more, as that train didn't call at North because of line occupancy of Platform 2, and passed by on the Midland lines.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Funnily enough I went for a little stroll after getting my hair cut yesterday morning - along a footpath that skirts what is left of East and which runs along the remains of one platform. The redevelopment is going to go ahead but, as the old sheds are listed, they are going to have some big problems in the area. Parts of the site are being used to store building materials for development work nearby. And to add to the fun NR require access through the site to get to an accesss point on the line out to Whittlesey (Whittlsea if you look for the station name) and beyond.

Like North it is so depressing to see our heritage being taken away from us. The current iteration of North is a pretty soulless place, gradually getting poorer and poorer as the process of mass transit becomes more and more about speed.

In post #10638 the buildings to the right of the hotel are ndeed railway as we have discussed way back on this thread, the house nearest the hotel is the Stationmasters house and is still there. It is now occupied by BTP. There was talk of it being demolished a while back following a fire but it has been restored fairly sympathetically albeit with UPVC windows. Mind you they are a pretty good fit with the building.