Peterborough North

great northern

Peter Leyland will be arriving shortly, so just time to post a couple more shots of 60505.

attachicon.gif505 4.JPG

Seen pulling away with its featherweight train. Acccording to the official books there was no non corridor stock rostered for any duties through PN, but I have to find a use for my lovely kit built Thompsons, so they have replaced the usual twin artics. The bright blue sky was an attempt to avoid shopping that signal. it didn't work, and I still did so, but it was a great deal easier than when the camera is pointing in the opposite direction.

attachicon.gif505 3.jpg

As you can see from this shot. Even Thompson didn't design locos without chimneys, but this one got deleted very early in the process of shopping, and I just couldn't be bothered to go back far enough to put it right.

Peter's visit today will be concerned with planning and tidying up various things, so there will be nothing spectacular to show you later. I have though had an idea :O which may help with the photoshopping problems I've been moaning on about.

Hi Gilbert

I must say I do like those Thompson A2/2 Pacifics, I never ever got to see one as they were all withdrawn they year before I started trainspotting.

If only they were available in RTR, what kit is it PDK or DJH?

Also may I ask you what is the make and design of the second coach behind 60505 in your splendid going away photo.

Regards

David

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi Gilbert

I must say I do like those Thompson A2/2 Pacifics, I never ever got to see one as they were all withdrawn they year before I started trainspotting.

Also may I ask you what is the make and design of the second coach behind 60505 in your splendid going away photo.

Regards

Davidy

60505 isn't a kit build David. It is a hybrid very cleverly put together by Tim Easter using a Bachmann A2 as a donor, and various other bits. All the details are on Tim's workbench thread. I don't know how to do links, but if you just search for Tim you will find it. I do have a PDK kit built one too, but frankly I prefer TIm's, both in looks, and because it runs on a very sweet RTR chassis.

The second coach is one of a rake of three built for me by Ian Willets, using Comet sides. They are Thompson non corridors, irritatingly just about identical to the ones that Hornby have since done. That first one is a Dia 340 brake. Hornby do it, I think, but they can fetch very silly money on a certain auction site.

Hi Gilbert

Regards

Davidy

60505 isn't a kit build David. It is a hybrid very cleverly put together by Tim Easter using a Bachmann A2 as a donor, and various other bits. All the details are on Tim's workbench thread. I don't know how to do links, but if you just search for Tim you will find it. I do have a PDK kit built one too, but frankly I prefer TIm's, both in looks, and because it runs on a very sweet RTR chassis.

The second coach is one of a rake of three built for me by Ian Willets, using Comet sides. They are Thompson non corridors, irritatingly just about identical to the ones that Hornby have since done. That first one is a Dia 340 brake. Hornby do it, I think, but they can fetch very silly money on a certain auction site.

This is the first post for Thane of Fife, the thread also continues with Owen Tudor:

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/49233-thompson-a2s-Bachmann-rebuilds/?p=795831

Edited by Flood

• RMweb Premium

I had time this morning to go and refresh the image bank. I'll start with a further progress report on yesterday.

post-98-0-44131400-1459773538_thumb.jpg

That large black area has been nicely tone down.

post-98-0-85218700-1459773652_thumb.jpg

Peter offered me this lovely little hut which he built while demonstrating at an exhibition. Of course I said yes immediately. It is just plonked so far, but I'll decide exactly where it sould go, and it will then be bedded in. I took a close up shot too.

post-98-0-68495200-1459773832_thumb.jpg

post-98-0-46020600-1459773890_thumb.jpg

Next we have Grantham A3 60111 Enterprise running through with a Newcastle relief, framed by those two water cranes at the North end. Both of these have also been cut down, though as you can see, some disturbance was caused when replanting them. I didn't notice, but the camera did. To follow up on my cryptic comment last night, I think they now look right. They aren't though, if we are going to take a strict prototype stance. Peter thinks we can eventually make new arms for them which will be correct, and that remains an option. No longer do they loom over and dwarf  other things though, and that in itself is a big plus.

post-98-0-17666800-1459774414_thumb.jpg

The rest of the DE dept fence also got painted, though the camera tells me I must close up that gap. I then swung the camera around, and got this view, which I reckon is rather nice.

post-98-0-00266500-1459774547_thumb.jpg

And at this point I'd had enough of shopping, so the rest will follow in due course. We also spent quite a time discussing and carefully measuring the footprint for the correct Spital Bridge, which will be the next of Peter's masterpieces to grace the layout, but I'll have to be patient for a while before I see that in place.

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium

Gilbert,

Love the muted colours on all the buildings. Most realistic.

Has something happened to the track in the foreground? Some of the chairs appear to be missing.

attachicon.gifpost-98-0-00266500-1459774547_thumb1.jpg

Anymore comments on anyone's track and you will be sent to the Peekaboo Bullied track thread :nono: :nono: :nono:

• RMweb Premium

Gilbert,

Has something happened to the track in the foreground? Some of the chairs appear to be missing.

That's the new Exactlyscale Virtual OOFSSSTFU Chair that is. I think they look very convincing.

E.M. Peror

Edited by Mallard60022
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Gilbert,

I can only assume that Norman Saunders missed that bit when he was building and laying the track. I hadn't noticed it before, and when I went up to check it took a bit of finding.

• RMweb Premium

I'm slightly worried about the "floating" ladder on that bracket. Brave lampman that goes up there!

Here is a photograph of the real thing. Heavily cropped, but still copyright of Andrew C Ingram. As you can see, all that was provided was one support bracket about half way up. It is there on the model, but blends in to the building behind it.

post-98-0-86083100-1459783497_thumb.jpg

I am not of course hepled by the way the sun bleaches things out, or the whims of Paint.Net, so things do literally go missing that are present on the model as well.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Nice photo of the pilot there, Gilbert!  I'm even getting a bit of a taste for Thompson Pacifics too, must be my age.  Male menopause or something, affecting my judgement, as a Gresley fan. (With a bit of Robinson).

Hi folks,

You may be wondering about the large coarse scale look of the ground cover nearest to the buildings, this for the most part is temorary.

It will of course be more flat looking like the ground surface finish in front of it, perhaps at my next visit.

Cheers

Peter

Edited by Gravy Train
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Plenty of time to spare today, so a bit of work done on the railway, and some more stuff processed.

post-98-0-09422100-1459806499_thumb.jpg

Another view of Enterprise, though that lad will keep standing in front of the cabside number. This is a better angle to see how much better the water cranes look, I think. The next image shows that I do listen to the advice and occasional admonishments I receive. I was just about to start work on this when I decided that it would give a good long view of the layout in situ as it is.

post-98-0-17872900-1459806775_thumb.jpg

• Like 18

• RMweb Gold

That second photo' shows how good the layout itself is without worrying about photoshopping the photo'. I have had such a long lingering look at it, and come away with these thoughts. Don't alter anything. It is so perfect.

With warmest regards,

Rob

P.S. I have just noticed that your next post will be number 4,000, so many congratulations on that achievement.

Edited by Market65

• RMweb Premium

That second photo' shows how good the layout itself is without worrying about photoshopping the photo'. I have had such a long lingering look at it, and come away with these thoughts. Don't alter anything. It is so perfect.

With warmest regards,

Rob

P.S. I have just noticed that your next post will be number 4,000, so many congratulations on that achievement.

The main thing about viewing this way though is that you can't see any ****** bookcases. :jester:

• RMweb Premium

We have one more photo of 60111 as it moves away towards Grantham, where it will probably come off.

post-98-0-43178100-1459847725_thumb.jpg

Paint.Net did manage another munch when I wasn't looking. Then I went back to looking the other way, and against the light.

post-98-0-68446300-1459847870_thumb.jpg

These shots always look better in black and white, but perhaps this one could do with being a bit more contrasty, if there is such a word. Looking at this reminds me that I do prefer A3s with GN tenders, though they always look beautifully proportioned anyway.

• Like 19

• RMweb Premium

Let's see what I've got for you tonight. How about...... a siding?

post-98-0-10150400-1459891981_thumb.jpg

and a Departmental Sentinel, and a bloke doing nothing much. Or if you prefer something more glamorous.

post-98-0-25935600-1459892120_thumb.jpg

Golden Fleece arriving from Leeds, but not with the West Riding for which it was built in pre war days. Today it has an FO Q service composed entirely of Gresley all door stock, and with second class accomodation only. No catering of course for the hoi polloi. Please note that I have again listened to good advice, and cropped out most of the signals that cause me most trouble. That B17 will have some work to do, eventually.

• Like 19

Let's see what I've got for you tonight. How about...... a siding?

attachicon.gifDE siding.jpg

and a Departmental Sentinel, and a bloke doing nothing much. Or if you prefer something more glamorous.

attachicon.gif30 1.jpg

Golden Fleece arriving from Leeds, but not with the West Riding for which it was built in pre war days. Today it has an FO Q service composed entirely of Gresley all door stock, and with second class accomodation only. No catering of course for the hoi polloi. Please note that I have again listened to good advice, and cropped out most of the signals that cause me most trouble. That B17 will have some work to do, eventually.

Hi Gilbert

Great photo to end the day with.

Nice A4 and I really like the Grealey Third brake behind, I have been trying to get one of them for some time now without any luck so far.

Regards

David

Edited by landscapes

• RMweb Premium

Hi Gilbert

Great photo to end the day with.

Nice A4 and I really like the Grealey Third brake behind, I have been trying to get one of them for some time now without any luck so far.

Regards

David

I too have a thing about Gresley brakes David. Somehow they just look extremely attractive to my eyes. When I returned to the hobby back in the 70s I bought an album called I think Steam in East Anglia - I can't find it at the moment of course - and gazed for ages at a photo of a D16 at Norwich Thorpe with a rather shabby crimson and cream brake behind the tender. No way of having one till Kirk kits came along though. Now I have a few built by Ian Willets which are among my most cherished rolling stock. This one doesn't half show up Hornby Gresleys though.

• RMweb Premium

Is that a Hornby carriage behind the BTK? The difference in turnunder is very starkly illustrated.

It is indeed Jonathan, a whole rake of them in fact. I needed a set formed BSK 10xSK BSK, as used on quite a lot of West Riding reliefs and extras, and somehow Dia 115 Gresleys come low on my list of priorities, so Hornby have to do, at least for now. There is so much more work to do than with end door stock, so even conversions make my heart sink.