Peterborough North

great northern

• RMweb Premium

Hi Gilbert

I see what you mean regarding your background, obviously the shelves are the problem as they do not allow you to create a smooth continuous backdrop.

Having said that, your latest batch of photos you have posted are very good I would be more than pleased if they were my photos.

One other suggestion is, (and its always easy to advise someone when you cannot see the actual layout)  could you fix a curtain rail to the end face of the top shelf then drape a curtain down onto the base board, again using a light sky colour of pale blue of even grey.

That may help with the shelf shadow problem and still retain some light colour behind your signals.

I use Adobe Photoshop Elements 12 I am not sure now but I think the latest addition may be Elements 14, I purchased Elements 12 on the Internet brand new for around £60.00.

As it's out of date it may be even cheaper now and there is more than enough tools in it to cover the type of photoshop work you do, and it can also edit Raw images as well which is very helpful when trying to remove any colour casts.

Looking at your first photo of thread No 10719 it is always difficult to photoshop in a sky when it goes down to the base board level, I think its always helpful to have some form of scenic background to the layout edge such as buildings or a grass embankment which then gives some hight and something to blend your sky or what ever other background you choose into.

This morning was quite sunny and my Wife was out playing Golf so I took the opportunity to go out in our garden to photograph some of my models on a Photo plank I built some time ago, the photo plank has a grass embankment background So I photo-shopped in a scene from a Scottish landscape photo I took some time ago.

I enclose two of the photos I took earlier today. one before and one after to show how easy it is when you have the right background to match the scene you are photo-shopping in.

Obviously it is much easier to do this on my 1200mm length photo plank rather than on a layout the size of Peterborough North but it gives an idea of what can be done even in a small confined area if you have some form of scenic height to the layout edges. 

Good luck with what ever option you choose and as many other members have already stated the quality of your photos speak for themselves photo shopped or not.

Regards

David

Hi David,

Lovely photos!  That area on post 10719 is next on the to do list. Peter Leyland is coming over on Sunday, when we will get all the measurements done for the correct Spital bridge, which i intend to continue to butt up against the side wall. When that has been done, I'm looking at geting a backscene made up to deal with the low horizon in that area.

The end wall is much more of a problem. I'd love to do exactly as you suggest, but it is now impossible to reach to ceiling height becuase of the width of the baseboards, plus the loco box and cassette store. That's why the blue card only goes as high as it does - I couldn't reach higher even when standing on steps. I could get something that would let me get higher, but frankly I think it would be too risky, as I'd be at full stretch plus a bit, and the possibility of a fall and/or damage to the layout is too great.

As I said earlier, rather than start learning another programme I think I shall just restrict the number of images I take at that end.

• RMweb Premium

The plumber has been. :swoon:  Job done. While running in the Heljan 02 the sequence called for coal empties in the oppposite direction, so i couldn't resist a comparison.

post-98-0-04388700-1459525022_thumb.jpg

A bit unfair on the Heljan one really, as it is far too shiny at present. Those who complain about the asking price should reflect on the fact that the PDK one, professionally built, cost three times as much. Is it three times as good? It doesn't run as smoothly as the RTR one.

• Like 12

Well deserved I think Alan. One should not post things when feeling a bit down. Today, in stark contrast, all has gone swimmingly. The trains have run faultlessly, and all the photos I have taken since I last posted have turned out well, and been very easy to deal with. My mistake was to take several shots of the A4 running in, and then try to photoshop them all at once. One of those every now and then is the best policy. I'm still waiting for the plumber to show up though.....

And I shouldn't hit 'post' before I've read back over and asked do I really want to say that. Apologies again, and keep up the good work. It's always enjoyable.

Alan

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Well, as I've said before, it is such an excellent layout. I think the cropping has worked so well, and have been saddened by the trouble you have had over the A4 photo's. I think if you had have cropped them they would have been better all round including your stress levels. I also think your B&W photo's are superb. They also work best when cropped, so no need, overall, to go too far with the photoshopping.

Just let the layout speak for itself, with very low levels of work on the photo's - just a little bit of cropping.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• RMweb Premium

To conclude the day, something that required very little work indeed.

post-98-0-16463000-1459548914_thumb.jpg

Nearly time for yet another Ivatt 4 to potter off along the M&GN, but first the Standard 4 at Platform 6 will be off to Ely. All this takes place beneath a rather dramatic sky. Goodnight all.

• Like 19

• RMweb Premium

Morning Gilbert,

Forgive my ignorance of the 1958 railway map, but how would a train leaving Peterborough heading north work its way round to Ely?

Ah yes! Glad you spotted that Jonathan. :blush: It will get there via Birmingham, which is where it is off to now actually. The Midland engine taking over from a GE one was the clue, and once again I plead :senile: It will get to Ely eventually though........tomorrow. And it is good to see that you are feeling better.

• RMweb Premium

Morning Gilbert,

Forgive my ignorance of the 1958 railway map, but how would a train leaving Peterborough heading north work its way round to Ely?

Come on J, via Retford and Lincoln or maybe even Grantham with a loco change. I know this as I am an expert on LNER/ER WTTs from the dawn of time.

On a lighter note here is a proper O2.

post-2326-0-44637100-1459587295.jpg

R.E. Dundantputter.

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Come on J, via Retford and Lincoln or maybe even Grantham with a loco change. I know this as I am an expert on LNER/ER WTTs from the dawn of time.

attachicon.gifimages (28).jpg

R.E. Dundantputter.

Or even to Wisbech on the M&GN, across the town to the GE station and down to Ely. There must have been a connection between the two, but I haven't time to look it up now. And what is that funny little black thingy? It hasn't got enough wheels to be an 02.

• RMweb Premium

This morning's pictures are of a train that is waiting to leave for Birmingham. Not Ely, good lord no, though it may have been there previously.

post-98-0-35224700-1459588830_thumb.jpg

It looked quite nice in black and white too.

post-98-0-99352300-1459588914_thumb.jpg

Foursomes golf today. "Sorry partner, put you under a bush again", that sort of thing. Very confidently the Met Office announced that the rain band would stop and then head back North, so why is it still pouring down here? I know, perhaps it is trying to get to Ely.

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium

I went to Ely towards the end of last year, but I didn't linger as I was actually on the Norwich train from Peter Brough (originating at Brumingham). Good looking Station. I must go back and visit the other building there (Ely) that is quite pretty. Don't suppose anyone found my blue cap that I lost that day?

Did the train in the picture originate in Ely or Norwich back then? I suspect Ely.

Roderick the Red.

• RMweb Premium

I went to Ely towards the end of last year, but I didn't linger as I was actually on the Norwich train from Peter Brough (originating at Brumingham). Good looking Station. I must go back and visit the other building there (Ely) that is quite pretty. Don't suppose anyone found my blue cap that I lost that day?

Did the train in the picture originate in Ely or Norwich back then? I suspect Ely.

Roderick the Red.

It was, for some reason, an Ely - Birmingham service Phil. Why Ely was chosen as the starting point, I do not know. I'd have thought Cambridge or Norwich more sensible.

• RMweb Premium

Whoever invented foursomes, at golf I hasten to add, not that I have experience of any other sort, should have been seen to at birth. Having got that off my chest, here is a photograph of Thane of Fife.

post-98-0-27707900-1459633948_thumb.jpg

60505 is at Platform 3, waiting to depart with the 3.58pm stopper to Grantham.

post-98-0-05071700-1459634030_thumb.jpg

And from a slightly different angle in a sort of sepia shade.

• Like 14

It was, for some reason, an Ely - Birmingham service Phil. Why Ely was chosen as the starting point, I do not know. I'd have thought Cambridge or Norwich more sensible.

Well Ely was and still is a connecting point with both  Cambridge and  Norwich so therefore this arrangement meant better use of carriages. Hence shorter journey for the Perterborough stock and the stock between  Cambridge to Norwich was going to be in use either way.   :sungum:

Of course the Peterboroyugh train must be timetabled to depart 5 minutes prior to the arrival of any connection from the  Cambridge and  Norwich services.  :jester:

• RMweb Premium

Peter Leyland will be arriving shortly, so just time to post a couple more shots of 60505.

post-98-0-96275200-1459675030_thumb.jpg

Seen pulling away with its featherweight train. Acccording to the official books there was no non corridor stock rostered for any duties through PN, but I have to find a use for my lovely kit built Thompsons, so they have replaced the usual twin artics. The bright blue sky was an attempt to avoid shopping that signal. it didn't work, and I still did so, but it was a great deal easier than when the camera is pointing in the opposite direction.

post-98-0-80782800-1459675328_thumb.jpg

As you can see from this shot. Even Thompson didn't design locos without chimneys, but this one got deleted very early in the process of shopping, and I just couldn't be bothered to go back far enough to put it right.

Peter's visit today will be concerned with planning and tidying up various things, so there will be nothing spectacular to show you later. I have though had an idea :O which may help with the photoshopping problems I've been moaning on about.

• Like 18

• RMweb Gold

Whoever invented foursomes, at golf I hasten to add, not that I have experience of any other sort, should have been seen to at birth.

Doesn't that depend upon whether the foursome is two-ball or four-ball? Quite different games, I think.

• RMweb Premium

Doesn't that depend upon whether the foursome is two-ball or four-ball? Quite different games, I think.

Foursome employs only one ball Ian. It is hit alternately by two players until lost, or unlikely I know, disappears down a hole. Then you take it out, and repeat seventeen times, with gradually worsening language as an accompaniment. Two balls need the usual requirement, whereas four balls employ more than the normal player's equipment.

• RMweb Gold

Foursome employs only one ball Ian. It is hit alternately by two players until lost, or unlikely I know, disappears down a hole. Then you take it out, and repeat seventeen times, with gradually worsening language as an accompaniment. Two balls need the usual requirement, whereas four balls employ more than the normal player's equipment.

I thought I remembered a foursome where the better score in each team counted, and there were four balls in play. 

• RMweb Premium

It looks like Ely was a comfortable Station to change at. However Norwich would not have been a lot further and that was (is?) a very nice station.

Phil

• RMweb Premium

Engineer's possession today, so no trains ran at PN. Good progress was made though, most of which will be shown tomorrow, as we had quite a late finish. However I can reveal that this,

post-98-0-95159800-1459722172_thumb.jpg

was removed, and replaced by

post-98-0-21292500-1459722211_thumb.jpg

which put in context, looks like this.

post-98-0-96145000-1459722361_thumb.jpg

This is the one I hacked about, which Peter Leyland was able to make a bit more presentable. I'm really pleased with the improvement it gives. There was time to do two more, helped by the fact that Peter had a type of superglue which would hold the cut and shut together without the need for any supporting brass rod. Photos of those will be taken tomorrow. All I will say now is that they are right, but they are not.

Edited by great northern
  • Like 11

attachicon.gifimages (28).jpg

R.E. Dundantputter.

Oh come on Phil, a pensioned off old boiler from the I.O.W.

Good job the wife can sleep  or I might be in trouble. With her lack of train knowledge she might think I was talking about her.

• Like 1

Golf.....Satan's invention to occupy lots of blokes and some ladies on days when some blokes should be doing better things. 

Oh yes, I love the colour of those Thompson Subs.

Philth.

I lose so many good cricketers this way