Peterborough North

great northern

This may be anathema to many of you, but I dislike the shape of the Gresley cab when it sits over a pair of driving wheels.  The design is beautiful when the locomotive has a trailing axle (Pacifics, V2s), but not Sandys or Moguls.  Personally, I prefer the Peppercorn K1 design to any Gresley Mogul.

Bill

• RMweb Premium

I've got it.  My eyes tell me B17's have driving wheels that are too big for them.  A quick bit of what passes for research around here reveals they are basically the same size as an A4's drivers.  The loco is a shapely things, it's just got lower legs that are too big for her body!!  IMHO of course, whilst wearing much protective clothing.....in a bunker......many miles from PBHQ!

No-one escapes the B17 thought police :protest:  I've always thought they were beautifully proportioned.

• RMweb Premium

Positively the last picture of the Sandy? Come on now, it's sitting in the platform, it's got to go somewhere. Give us some photo's as it moves away!

You can't have too many pictures of Sandys....

Er,I've just looked through the images from Friday's shoot, and there has apparently been a small out break of :senile: . It seems that 61653 will appear again shortly.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

When (in short trousers) I was taken to "Airpool" Street (apparently this little boy couldn't cope with "Liverpool") by my father they were all Sandys. I'm sure Dad never took much notice of the tenders.

They were always Sandys at Lincoln too, as March only had one footballer, Donny Rovers, and that hardly ever came our way. In 1960 though, we got to see 61660, though by that time it was named "Borstal- Schools class". I believe this was unofficial. :jester:

• RMweb Premium

No-one escapes the B17 thought police :protest:  I've always thought they were beautifully proportioned.

Oh-oh, red carded.  I'm off to play with some odd yank diesels with tiny wheels.  Now I think about it I do have a 4-8-2 somewhere, that has nice big wheels.....and the body to balance them. :nono:  :angel:

• RMweb Premium

Oh-oh, red carded.  I'm off to play with some odd yank diesels with tiny wheels.  Now I think about it I do have a 4-8-2 somewhere, that has nice big wheels.....and the body to balance them. :nono:  :angel:

Maybe the red was a bit harsh.

Yep, NBL did a really good job on that one, considering they cobbled together the aesthetic from old Doncaster drawing they had hanging around their drawing office. 'Corse the 'engine' part was pure NBL genius which they had tried out earlier on the Royal Scots.

Just time for a couple more before I go and dodge the showers. ...

I commend your industry, but do you really want to boast about joining the ranks of the B.O. crowd?  :jester:

Paul

PS: It's simply impossible to have too many B17s. And even more impossible to have too many Clauds. Fact.

Edited by Fenman

@Richard - that is sooooo sad 

Fast forward thirty years and we'll be hearing about how the railways can;t grow enough to carry all the freight and extra passengers they need to move because the roads are so crowded, simply because they sold off all their land for development 

How short sighted our politicians are

• RMweb Premium

The hotel and the building to its right have fared pretty well though

That was my first thought too. At least there is something left which has remained the same, unlike many places which are unrecognisable. For some reason, I particularly like the fact that the hotel garden wall is still there, still gets plastered with advertising, and still butts onto that fencing. And of course the vandals didn't win when they torched that original GN building - it looks thoroughly presentable now. The rest, as mighty duck says, is indeed carp, but I'm thankful for small mercies.

• Like 1