Peterborough North

great northern

It looks like Ely was a comfortable Station to change at. However Norwich would not have been a lot further and that was (is?) a very nice station.

Phil

Many of the main London-Norwich trains ran via Cambridge and Ely, providing fast connections, and, of course, there was already a direct Norwich-Birmingham service operated by the M&GN out of Norwich City station (via South Lynn, Bourne and Leicester), so it may have been felt that the modest amounts of traffic involved were already pretty well catered for without having to start the Ely-Birmingham train at either Norwich or Cambridge.

Paul

Let's see what I've got for you tonight. How about...... a siding?

attachicon.gifDE siding.jpg

and a Departmental Sentinel, and a bloke doing nothing much. Or if you prefer something more glamorous.

attachicon.gif30 1.jpg

Golden Fleece arriving from Leeds, but not with the West Riding for which it was built in pre war days. Today it has an FO Q service composed entirely of Gresley all door stock, and with second class accomodation only. No catering of course for the hoi polloi. Please note that I have again listened to good advice, and cropped out most of the signals that cause me most trouble. That B17 will have some work to do, eventually.

A silly little question, and probably showing my lack of understanding of ECML services, but as this was a Q service on 'Fridays Only' would an A4 have been rostered to this? I assume this was in addition to the normal West Riding and if so would there be a 'surplus' A4 at Neville Hill?

Cheers Tony

Tony

• RMweb Premium

Many of the main London-Norwich trains ran via Cambridge and Ely, providing fast connections, and, of course, there was already a direct Norwich-Birmingham service operated by the M&GN out of Norwich City station (via South Lynn, Bourne and Leicester), so it may have been felt that the modest amounts of traffic involved were already pretty well catered for without having to start the Ely-Birmingham train at either Norwich or Cambridge.

Paul

Where was Norwich City Station in relation to the existing (Thorpe?) then J? I hadn't even realised that there were M & GN services up through Bourne from Norwich. They would have gone past TW's I expect?

P

Where was Norwich City Station in relation to the existing (Thorpe?) then J? I hadn't even realised that there were M & GN services up through Bourne from Norwich. They would have gone past TW's I expect?

P

Bizarrely, the M&GN treated Yarmouth-Birmingham as the main line, and the main regional centre at Norwich was just a branch: one or two coaches travelled from Norwich City to the junction at Melton Constable and were added on the back of the Yarmouth-Birmingham train (and vice versa). The train was the most glamorous to run post-War on the M&GN and was known as "The Leicester". It was still horribly slow, like pretty much every train on the M&GN.

Norwich City station was north-east of the city centre (most of it is now obliterated beneath a road scheme), on the west bank of the river. It was a rather spectacular Italianate structure until destroyed by the Luftwaffe. 

Paul

• RMweb Premium

A silly little question, and probably showing my lack of understanding of ECML services, but as this was a Q service on 'Fridays Only' would an A4 have been rostered to this? I assume this was in addition to the normal West Riding and if so would there be a 'surplus' A4 at Neville Hill?

Cheers Tony

Tony

I think when it came to the peak season extras anything that could turn a wheel got thrown into the fray, and the regular diagrams went by the board. 60030 will probably have gone down earlier on another extra, and is now on the way back. That's what my sequence said, anyway. Mind you, it's on a laptop, and you can't trust those things.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I'm beginning to think that B17 has failed.

I also think I have just failed probation........ :help:

Yes, you have been recalled to serve the rest of your sentence, and you will be rehabilitated too. Subliminal photos of B17s will be imprinted on your brain while you scream, I mean sleep. Eventually, you will see the light, or...... there will be N5 deprivation. :threaten:

• RMweb Premium

The next train to arrive at Platform 3 will be the 2.45 from Hitchin. This train will terminate here.

post-98-0-72319500-1460067484_thumb.jpg

It has called at all eleven stations between there and here, even Abbots Ripton, and taken 93 minutes to cover the 44 miles.

post-98-0-45186300-1460067738_thumb.jpg

Hitchin's smartly turned out named B1 Madoqua is in charge, and Golden Fleece is just starting to pull away from Platform 2.

• Like 19

The next train to arrive at Platform 3 will be the 2.45 from Hitchin. This train will terminate here.

attachicon.gif1027 1.jpg

It has called at all eleven stations between there and here, even Abbots Ripton, and taken 93 minutes to cover the 44 miles.

attachicon.gif1027 2.jpg

Hitchin's smartly turned out named B1 Madoqua is in charge, and Golden Fleece is just starting to pull away from Platform 2.

Golly! 61027! An old friend and (I believe) the only antelope on the south end of the ECML. When I had a B1 made in 7mm there was no contest - it had to be "Madoqua".

P1040459-2600x387_zps8c49563e.jpg

I never did know how to pronounce its name!

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium

Golly! 61027! An old friend and (I believe) the only antelope on the south end of the ECML. When I had a B1 made in 7mm there was no contest - it had to be "Madoqua".

P1040459-2600x387_zps8c49563e.jpg

I never did know how to pronounce its name!

Yes indeed, the only one, so when I had a brief flirtation with the Southern end for a model 61027 was included. It is the best Bachmann B1 I have by miles, runs beautifully. Perhaps the manufacturers are faithfully mimicing real life. After all, there were some black sheep in every class in the real world, weren't there?

We got Hartebeeste and Ourebi at Lincoln in 1959. There were some interesting guesses at how to pronounce them too.

• RMweb Premium

Some more shots of that B1 this bright sunny morning.

post-98-0-95962100-1460107876_thumb.jpg

Poor timing by the photographer here, but you'd already seen plenty of the A4.

post-98-0-86379400-1460107967_thumb.jpg

I'd completely forgotten that on Sunday we also added that lamp to which the coupling was attached on the real thing. I've also very temporarily blu tacked in the little box, the name of which i've forgotten, which should go next to it. Looking very closely at the original photo I also found further to the left another post, with at least two more couplings attached in the same way, so it must have been some kind of emergency store.

post-98-0-03971100-1460108240_thumb.jpg

A closer view still shows that the lamp is wrong - it should be a swan neck type - but I didn't have any of those. Anyone know where I could get some?  For bookcase fans, there are some of those in shot too.

post-98-0-96990000-1460108396_thumb.jpg

Madoqua now at rest, while the rear brake of the Up Leeds slides by, without rear lamp. I know why, I had to turn it round for coupling compatibility.

I've traced the progress of the artic twin five set behind the B1.It started at Kings Cross as a Hitchin outer suburban service, lay over there for a while, then formed this service. A couple of hours later it moved on as a Peterborough- Grantham local, and from there later in the evening it formed a Nottingham train.

post-98-0-82525800-1460108546_thumb.jpg

And one more North end view to conclude this session.

• Like 18

• RMweb Gold

Damn, he's got me there.

Water boarded into submission!

Adjourned for social report.   Crikey, it's been almost two years since I thought about PSR's!

Aren't acronyms fun.  I wonder why gentlemen in your way of employment might be concerned with Permanent Speed Restrictions  (even if someone somewhere in my past employer's organisation managed to introduce such an atrocious standard of English usage in respect of the proper term 'Permanent Restriction of Speed', thus turning PRS into PSR).

• RMweb Premium

Ah, Pre-Sentence Report, Mike!

It's a funny thing, but the shape of the tumblehome on the Hornby Gresley coaches had never bothered me until that photo above a few days ago with the splendid brake coach in front of them.  Now I really notice how inadequate it is in every shot I see of them.

• Like 1

Yes indeed, the only one, so when I had a brief flirtation with the Southern end for a model 61027 was included. It is the best Bachmann B1 I have by miles, runs beautifully. Perhaps the manufacturers are faithfully mimicing real life. After all, there were some black sheep in every class in the real world, weren't there?

We got Hartebeeste and Ourebi at Lincoln in 1959. There were some interesting guesses at how to pronounce them too.

Cambridge had Bongo. Surely this must have reached the ECML? I was still at school when it was withdrawn, and enquired about buying a nameplate. £5 proved too expensive for me, how I regret that....

Stewart

• RMweb Premium

Cambridge had Bongo. Surely this must have reached the ECML? I was still at school when it was withdrawn, and enquired about buying a nameplate. £5 proved too expensive for me, how I regret that....

Stewart

Must have been late on Stewart. It was at Parkeston till 10/56, then New England for three months, four more at Spital Bridge, then Stratford till the beginning of 1959, back to Parkeston till October that year, and thence to March. Then I lose track of it. Perhaps it was shot? :jester:

Must have been late on Stewart. It was at Parkeston till 10/56, then New England for three months, four more at Spital Bridge, then Stratford till the beginning of 1959, back to Parkeston till October that year, and thence to March. Then I lose track of it. Perhaps it was shot? :jester:

I hope the RSPCA knew about this!

• RMweb Premium

I hope the RSPCA knew about this!

Weren't they believed to be extinct till quite recently? Not much the RSPCA could do in that case, as you can't kill what doesn't exist, Anyway, I don't remember a prosecution when it was cut up. :mosking: