Peterborough North

great northern

• RMweb Premium

A couple more shots of Great Eastern and the Scotch goods to end the evening. The first one is just a slightly different angle on what has gone before.

post-98-0-23701200-1460928293_thumb.jpg

And then a head on shot from the North end.

post-98-0-53933000-1460928374_thumb.jpg

The end of an expensive day, but not money spent on the railway I'm afraid. Power outage the other day killed the light units in my tropical fish tank, over £200 for new ones. Go on the power supplier website, and what do you get.  By law, they don't have to pay out for damage caused to electrical eqiupment. :ireful:

• Like 9

• RMweb Gold

That's what I had in mind. Coat not needed.

Thank goodness, Gilbert! Great minds etc. After I posted it, I thought my facetiousness might be out of place on your excellent thread. Luckily not :)

• RMweb Premium

I do like the Coronation Tank, and the second pic in #10902

Odd looking platform lamp in #10902 pic 1?

You wouldn't believe it, would you? I hadn't noticed till you pointed it out, but what genius to get the platform lamp and the telegraph pole lined up so precisely.

• RMweb Premium

Thank goodness, Gilbert! Great minds etc. After I posted it, I thought my facetiousness might be out of place on your excellent thread. Luckily not :)

Life would be much poorer without the occasional bit of light hearted silliness, wouldn't it? Fine by me, provided it doesn't get out of hand.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I do like the Coronation Tank, and the second pic in #10902

Odd looking platform lamp in #10902 pic 1?

Clever use of an existing structure to add telegraphy........................................ :boast: however it does look like a rather large Eagle or similar has been perching on the top bracket(s).

Re your Fish Tank light thingy, as you know I am now really clued up about trickery (not)  and so I think you might be able to get some sort of 'protective device' (bit like and NCE Circuit protector) that could be sacrificial for an event such as your outage. I think that Mr Crispy Bacon may know about that sort of stuff?

Phil

Quote    "Power outage the other day killed the light units in my tropical fish tank, over £200 for new ones. Go on the power supplier website, and what do you get". Quote

I am more than a bit surprised that :-  A power outage would cause any damage to your light units. Are you saying that there was a spike in the incoming supply voltage to your property prior to the loss of power. Without being rude what checks have been carried out on the units to prove they are defective as opposed to damaged,but repairable.

Regards,Derek.

• RMweb Premium

Quote    "Power outage the other day killed the light units in my tropical fish tank, over £200 for new ones. Go on the power supplier website, and what do you get". Quote

I am more than a bit surprised that :-  A power outage would cause any damage to your light units. Are you saying that there was a spike in the incoming supply voltage to your property prior to the loss of power. Without being rude what checks have been carried out on the units to prove they are defective as opposed to damaged,but repairable.

Regards,Derek.

We didn't completely lose power this time Derek, but it was way down, and kept varying, to the extent that the TV was going off and then back on again, and the same was happening to the acquarium lights. By the time I'd cottoned on, and turned things off, it was too late. The problem is that the starter in the units has blown through being asked to turn on and off so rapidly and often. Unfortunately it is on a  circuit board inside the unit, and cannot be replaced on its own, so a complete new unit is required. How often does that happen nowadays? The shop checked it all out while I was there, so I'm satisfied that's what happened, and they were very sympathetic, to the extent they only charged cost price for the new units.

The first of this morning's photos seemed to me to be a very appropriate one.

attachicon.gif157 and 2529 2.jpg

Then I tried one of those long views down the layout, not easy when taken from a dark corner into a much lighter area, but OK I hope.

attachicon.gifSpital bridge panorama 1.jpg

attachicon.gifSpital bridge panorama 2.jpg

And one left untouched for those who prefer it that way. Actually, it does come off better than the photoshopped one, I think. This concludes last Monday's photoshoot.

I have to say I like the first of your "long views" very much indeed. The uneven lighting works to your advantage, looking like a patch of sunlight (which I assume is what it is).

I might be tempted to have a look at the ladder on that low signal post beyond the parked rake of coaches though. The camera is always quite merciless!

Chaz

The first of this morning's photos seemed to me to be a very appropriate one.

attachicon.gif157 and 2529 2.jpg

Then I tried one of those long views down the layout, not easy when taken from a dark corner into a much lighter area, but OK I hope.

attachicon.gifSpital bridge panorama 1.jpg

attachicon.gifSpital bridge panorama 2.jpg

And one left untouched for those who prefer it that way. Actually, it does come off better than the photoshopped one, I think. This concludes last Monday's photoshoot.

Hi Gilbert

First two photos brilliant, sorry to disagree with your comment on the last photo.

Your photoshopped sky looks very good.

Regards

David

• RMweb Premium

I have to say I like the first of your "long views" very much indeed. The uneven lighting works to your advantage, looking like a patch of sunlight (which I assume is what it is).

I might be tempted to have a look at the ladder on that low signal post beyond the parked rake of coaches though. The camera is always quite merciless!

Chaz

Yes, that is one of several that hasn't been motorised yet, and so is screwed down "temporarily". That, by the way, is an open ended term. If the screws aren't quite tightened correctly, this is what happens. As you say, the camera will sieze on it.

• RMweb Premium

Hi Gilbert

First two photos brilliant, sorry to disagree with your comment on the last photo.

Your photoshopped sky looks very good.

Regards

David

Many thanks David. I just felt that the unshopped one avoided that "end of the world" effect at top left of the image, and actually looked the better for it.

Love the shots of Great Eastern - my favourite A1!  I also love the finish on the "naughty" A4. It looks like it has just come out of Doncaster Works. What an extremely clever chap you are Gilbert to get so much atmosphere from your model. It is really a wonderful effort and gives great pleasure to so many of us. Might one ask for a video of the trains moving at some stage?

Martin Long

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Regards,Derek.

Cutler 2579

Have you thought about fitting a UPS Uninteruptable power supply might save considersble cost in the future?

Trust Oxxtron 800VA UPS around £65 from Dabs.co.uk

Chaz

• RMweb Premium

Love the shots of Great Eastern - my favourite A1!  I also love the finish on the "naughty" A4. It looks like it has just come out of Doncaster Works. What an extremely clever chap you are Gilbert to get so much atmosphere from your model. It is really a wonderful effort and gives great pleasure to so many of us. Might one ask for a video of the trains moving at some stage?

Martin Long

Video is a bit new technology for me Martin. I did give it a try quite a while back, but it didn't work out that well. it is actually so long ago that I have forgotten how I managed to do it in the first place. A chap from BRM came and took some stuff which went out on a DVD, but watching him just made me realise how little I know, and how long it can take.

• RMweb Premium

Time once again for the evening images.

post-98-0-81871500-1461014944_thumb.jpg

Here we have Dominion of Canada heading North with the Talisman, a WD waiting patiently for the road into the yards, and the D16 about to bring its stock into the station to pick up its March bound passengers.

post-98-0-16385900-1461015218_thumb.jpg

And the D16 now on its way, while the Talisman stock continues to pass in the opposite direction.

• Like 11

• RMweb Premium

I took the opportunity to take a couple more shots of that lovely D16 before it headed off to March, and out of sight for a while.

post-98-0-89567800-1461058585_thumb.jpg

Coming past North box, with a hint of the interior of the box visible for once.

post-98-0-84698000-1461058708_thumb.jpg

And one more close up as it awaits departure. Does anyone else think that the various pre grouping 4.4.0s probably represented the zenith of beauty of design in the UK?  Johnson's original MR design, the Wainwright D, stunning as it now stands in the NRM, the Pickersgill engines for the Caley, and the list goes on.

• Like 11

• RMweb Gold

Yes, 4-4-0s have an inherent balance about them that is satisfying. Billinton's B2 and B4 for the LBSCR had it in spades - but Billinton had been Assistant to Samuel Johnson at Derby, so no surprise.

I think Maunsell's Schools were Britain's most powerful 4-4-0s - but they were much more modern and do not compare to those Gilbert has identified.

Yes, 4-4-0s have an inherent balance about them that is satisfying. Billinton's B2 and B4 for the LBSCR had it in spades - but Billinton had been Assistant to Samuel Johnson at Derby, so no surprise.

I think Maunsell's Schools were Britain's most powerful 4-4-0s - but they were much more modern and do not compare to those Gilbert has identified.

I agree - unfortunately they generally lack the ability to haul trains to the size or speed required by a modern railway - a fact prove by Ivatt, Gresley and of course Stanier who inherited rather a lot of them!

Quite how Mansell did it with the Schools I don't know, but I do recall Stowe making a lively getaway from Sheffield Park some years back with 8 Mk1s astern and a rising gradient

Edited by bigwordsmith
  • Like 2