Peterborough North

great northern

Today I have been for a hearing test. I think the young lady told me I can't hear very much. I am to have some new hearing aids. Now all I need is to be able to see properly. Anyway, here is another photo of that A5.

attachicon.gifA5 2.jpg

It is a very nice model, and I'm very pleased to have it, but somehow the "face" of the loco doesn't look quite right to me. We have quite a pre grouping scene at this end of the layout at the moment, as waiting in the carriage siding with the stock for the 5.17pm to March is

attachicon.gif2529 1.jpg

and what a beautiful model this is. I could almost be tempted by a mid 50s GE section secondary line with lots of these. plus B17s and J15s and....... almost, I said.

What about a GN loco to redress the balance?   J6, J50/1, J52, N1.... endless possibilities...

...and what a beautiful model this is. I could almost be tempted by a mid 50s GE section secondary line with lots of these. plus B17s and J15s and....... almost, I said.

Hornby has produced a delightful model of a delightful prototype. There's something rather compelling about 4-4-0s anyway, but the Claud is such a handsome beast.

As a GE section secondary line modeller (with a crazy bias to the M&GN), I will be in Heaven when the B12 arrives later this year, to complete the loco stud (though if I was being greedy I might ask for a J17, too).

It's always a treat to see a Claud on PN. And in such a great photo. Thanks.

Paul

I agree Stewart, but I gather it would take a lot of new tooling to do it. We can live in hope though.

Would it not be the sort of detail that could be etched up in brass and glued on - or am I missing something?

Chaz

• RMweb Premium

Would it not be the sort of detail that could be etched up in brass and glued on - or am I missing something?

Chaz

Tim did explain it to me, as it was one of the first things I asked him about when he got his hands on one. I believe there is a problem with the width of the cab, something in that area anyway.

Ho.....this is getting silly now. We are now so realistic that we have a REAL loco failure.

What was on standby?

And will we see 60034 towed off ignominously in the direction of the Plant?

• RMweb Premium

Ho.....this is getting silly now. We are now so realistic that we have a REAL loco failure.

What was on standby?

And will we see 60034 towed off ignominously in the direction of the Plant?

We won't see that Jeff, as it would have been taken to New England in reality, and then moved to Donny from there.

• RMweb Premium

A couple more quick images this morning. In case you couldn't reaod the number on the West Riding A1. And if you wonder what that mess on the platform is, it is detritus. Good word that.

post-98-0-90979700-1460798179_thumb.jpg

and a close up of the only survivors from the original pre war train still rostered for the service by 1958.

post-98-0-92530300-1460798210_thumb.jpg

• Like 19

A couple more quick images this morning. In case you couldn't reaod the number on the West Riding A1. And if you wonder what that mess on the platform is, it is detritus. Good word that.

attachicon.gifWest Riding 2.jpg

and a close up of the only survivors from the original pre war train still rostered for the service by 1958.

attachicon.gifWR artic twin.jpg

Whose kit is the artic twin?

There is always something interesting to see at PN!  It is almost as good as the day I spent there in 1959 watching the trains come and go though at that time I did not really pay attention to the trains only the locos pulling them! Your pictures bring it all back and you have my thanks for this.

By the way the Claud is super. To answer another post, it should be possible to modify one to have the valanced splashers. The cab would need new side sheets difficult but not impossible.

Fortunately I have both varieties. They are the epitome of GER grace I feel.

Martin Long

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Whose kit is the artic twin?

Danny Pinnock's etches, David. He needs a bit of gentle persuasion to produce any more of them now.They are actually for the pre war train, and have "West Riding Limited" on the sides. Ian Willets did a fine job removing them to make them suitable for me.

• RMweb Premium

G, I whizzed (yes it was whizzing) on a very speedy Hull Trains bog cart, through Peterborough this morning (and returned this evening, still whizzing, but I was little drunk by then....sorry) and the Engineer's buildings 'recently' installed by Peter, on your layout, are better than the real things.

Phil

• RMweb Premium

G, I whizzed (yes it was whizzing) on a very speedy Hull Trains bog cart, through Peterborough this morning (and returned this evening, still whizzing, but I was little drunk by then....sorry) and the Engineer's buildings 'recently' installed by Peter, on your layout, are better than the real things.

Phil

Sounds like you've had a good day Phil.

• RMweb Premium

Your evening image today shows 60148 Aboyeur framed between two rather older, but still very attractive, locomotives. In order to get all three in view the A1 had to have a few obstructions in the way, but you can't have everything.

post-98-0-44044700-1460841499_thumb.jpg

• Like 19