Peterborough North

great northern

No problem, Rob.

attachicon.gifTalisman 4 bw.jpg

Something which does occasionally "stand out" in the colour photos, is the variation in weathering on different stock. The monochrome pictures don't show this.

So, while I like the colour pictures, I'll just offer the thought that (depending on what we are intended those in any given image) they sometimes don't work as well as the monochrome

Edited by rockershovel
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Nothing much done today so far as the railway is concerned, but I did take some photos of the Talisman stock for those who are interested.

post-98-0-10804500-1464125707_thumb.jpg

MK1 BSO and SK.

post-98-0-89335100-1464125761_thumb.jpg

Artic twin first.

post-98-0-61294500-1464125821_thumb.jpg

Dia 354 RU, and Dia 350 SO.

post-98-0-60468900-1464125912_thumb.jpg

MK1 CK, and another MK1 BSO.

I could add another SK, but then the whole thing would not fit into the storage road it shares with the West Riding. There were originally only eight cars, so I'll stick to that.

Requests to follow tomorrow.

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium

Interesting mix of maroon tones.

Yes indeed David, and I nearly commented on it myself. We have Bachmann's interpretation, which is a darker amd "muddier" shade, and then the work of three different professional painters, all of whom see the colour slightly differently, or at least use the product of a manufacturer who does so. The colour of coaches I have bought from Bachmann has varied over the years as well. Looking at preserved coaches the oher day the same variations could be seen. I don't think there is a "correct" shade of maroon, or not one that would look right at reduced scale anyway.

Edited by great northern
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

We have a rather murky day here, and the forecast suggests it won't improve much, but I shall shortly go and do the best I can with the various requests. Here is something to fill the gap.

post-98-0-12248900-1464165457_thumb.jpg

Top Shed A4 Wild Swan - I can't think of a better or more evocative name for an express loco - is running through with the evening Delaval Sidings- Holloway ECS working, which apparently regularly gave the sight of double headed Pacifics during its journey further North. Such workings were prohibited down here though, because of weight restriction on the bridge over the Trent at Newark.

For some reason this effort turned out rather better than my attempts at photography against the light usually do.

post-98-0-57436600-1464165841_thumb.jpg

This closer view was not so successful though, hence my efforts to conceal its defeiciencies with grainy black and white.

• Like 19

I don't remember Maroon on the real railway - But even those on the Gloucestershire Warwickshire preserved line locally do testify to varying tones. Cause by weathering and bleaching. I agree completely on Bachmann maroon. Early releases are a muddy maroon in comparison with more recent.   

• RMweb Gold

Yes indeed David, and I nearly commented on it myself. We have Bachmann's interpretation, which is a darker amd "muddier" shade, and then the work of three different professional painters, all of whom see the colour slightly differently, or at least use the product of a manufacturer who does so. The colour of coaches I have bought from Bachmann has varied over the years as well. Looking at preserved coaches the oher day the same variations could be seen. I don't think there is a "correct" shade of maroon, or not one that would look right at reduced scale anyway.

Agree absolutely. 'New' maroon was - like many railway colours - quite a bit different from well weathered, or part weathered maroon which were different from each other, and they varied around the country for all sorts of reasons.

I never had anything at all to do with carriage cleaning in the days of maroon stock but at various times I got feeling that I was having far too much to do with it in the days of the blue & grey livery.  It was noticeable - even with more modern paints applied with allegedly greater consistency than had previously been the case - that all sorts of factors affected weathering from the type of carriage washing machine the vehicles encountered to the frequency of hand cleaning in addition to machine washing and in the latter case down to who actually did the work.  Add in the weather/season, type of train working (e.g. extra braking meant more brake block dust), varied exposure due to either standing in the open or going in a shed when not running, plus of course the age of the paintwork - there were a myriad of factors which could make slight or subtle differences

• RMweb Premium

Right, most requests now photographed, though preparation for posting will take some time. I have done the first one though. This was a request by Chaz to see the somersualt signal in the off position, with "something small" passing by. Well, this is definitely the smallest loco I have, and we are well within its territory.

post-98-0-78145800-1464182496_thumb.jpg

The signal has not yet been motorised, and so is not firmly fixed in position. It took the opportunity to keep sliding off the vertical, especially when I moved the arm. This was the best I could do.

• Like 14

Right, most requests now photographed, though preparation for posting will take some time. I have done the first one though. This was a request by Chaz to see the somersualt signal in the off position, with "something small" passing by. Well, this is definitely the smallest loco I have, and we are well within its territory.

attachicon.gifsomersault 1.jpg

The signal has not yet been motorised, and so is not firmly fixed in position. It took the opportunity to keep sliding off the vertical, especially when I moved the arm. This was the best I could do.

Hoorah! 

I am, as you might guess, a fan of the somersaults and remember seeing a few on the Hatfield-Luton branch in the late fifties.

Might I suggest that when you do motorise the somersault you try for a greater inclination in the arm when "off" than in your photo. I believe that the GNR originally specified that the arm should be vertical when at clear, however examining numerous photos suggests that very few if any achieved a genuine vertical stance, although the one on P36 of "An Illustrated History of GNR Signalling" by M A Vanns got very close.

It might also be worth bearing in mind that many somersaults had a slight upward slope when at danger!

Hope you don't mind me putting up a snap of my 7mm somersault...

P1030102-2%20441%20x%20600_zpsmq54s9wf.j

...just to show (IMHO) how nice these signals look at clear with a good, radical angle to the arm.

Chaz

Edited by chaz
  • Like 13

• RMweb Premium

Hoorah! 

I am, as you might guess, a fan of the somersaults and remember seeing a few on the Hatfield-Luton branch in the late fifties.

Might I suggest that when you do motorise the somersault you try for a greater inclination in the arm when "off" than in your photo. I believe that the GNR originally specified that the arm should be vertical when at clear, however examining numerous photos suggests that very few if any achieved a genuine vertical stance, although the one on P36 of "An Illustrated History of GNR Signalling" by M A Vanns got very close.

It might also be worth bearing in mind that many somersaults had a slight upward slope when at danger!

Hope you don't mind me putting up a snap of my 7mm somersault...

P1030102-2%20441%20x%20600_zpsmq54s9wf.j

...just to show (IMHO) how nice these signals look at clear with a good, radical angle to the arm.

Chaz

Well, you see, once I had spoken sternly to the thing it became more co-operative. Seriously, it didn't want to go further at first, and I was reluctant to force it, but a bit of fettling did the trick.

post-98-0-65662700-1464189588_thumb.jpg

And of course, having also finished winding up our N5 fan.

• Like 11

• RMweb Premium

Ford Burgundy Red (Holfards!) I rest my case melud.

Daffy. (Apologies for weird post.... I am recovering from glue sniffing in the loft.

Edited by Mallard60022

• RMweb Premium

I'm getting confused now between photos I'd already taken, and those I've done in accordance with requests. Some fall between the two really. For now, here are some shots of the parcels stock behind that V2 you saw yesterday, or was it the day before?

post-98-0-04632500-1464212918_thumb.jpg

post-98-0-73644800-1464212940_thumb.jpg

post-98-0-78719100-1464212962_thumb.jpg

post-98-0-44654000-1464212983_thumb.jpg

I was asked for an eclectic mix of parcels stock, and I think this qualifies.

• Like 14

We have a rather murky day here, and the forecast suggests it won't improve much, but I shall shortly go and do the best I can with the various requests. Here is something to fill the gap.

attachicon.gif21 1.jpg

Top Shed A4 Wild Swan - I can't think of a better or more evocative name for an express loco - is running through with the evening Delaval Sidings- Holloway ECS working, which apparently regularly gave the sight of double headed Pacifics during its journey further North. Such workings were prohibited down here though, because of weight restriction on the bridge over the Trent at Newark.

For some reason this effort turned out rather better than my attempts at photography against the light usually do.

attachicon.gif21 2.jpg

This closer view was not so successful though, hence my efforts to conceal its defeiciencies with grainy black and white.

The long train of open wagons at the back of the "model section" is a very effective scenic device, breaks the textures between actual model, actual backdrop and photoshop very effectively

Well, you see, once I had spoken sternly to the thing it became more co-operative. Seriously, it didn't want to go further at first, and I was reluctant to force it, but a bit of fettling did the trick.

attachicon.gifsomersault 2.jpg

And of course, having also finished winding up our N5 fan.

That's more like it! And the N5 is rather nicer than the shed and probably more useful...

• RMweb Premium

A very quick image or two this morning.

post-98-0-07403400-1464249720_thumb.jpg

Tony in Oz asked for more goods trains, and this New England - Hitchin mixed goods happened to be next on the sequence, so here it is.

post-98-0-67960200-1464249825_thumb.jpg

Earlier, 60021 passed through on the ECS. Photos of that will follow. This is one of the A4s still in original Hornby green, definitely too anaemic, and I shall ask Tim to get the Klear out.

• Like 18

A very quick image or two this morning.

attachicon.gif02 1.jpg

Tony in Oz asked for more goods trains, and this New England - Hitchin mixed goods happened to be next on the sequence, so here it is.

attachicon.gif60021.jpg

Earlier, 60021 passed through on the ECS. Photos of that will follow. This is one of the A4s still in original Hornby green, definitely too anaemic, and I shall ask Tim to get the Klear out.

I agree with Tony in Oz. It's rare to see layouts which can accommodate long rakes of stock, and it contributes greatly to the realism of the composition

• RMweb Premium

The long train of open wagons at the back of the "model section" is a very effective scenic device, breaks the textures between actual model, actual backdrop and photoshop very effectively

Oh yes, I most certainly agree, and this is something which is considerably exercising my brain cell.

• RMweb Premium

I'm getting confused now between photos I'd already taken, and those I've done in accordance with requests. Some fall between the two really. For now, here are some shots of the parcels stock behind that V2 you saw yesterday, or was it the day before?

attachicon.gifparcels 1.jpg

attachicon.gifparcels 2.jpg

attachicon.gifparcels 3.jpg

attachicon.gifparcels 4.jpg

I was asked for an eclectic mix of parcels stock, and I think this qualifies.

Wonderful - there's something very calming and therapeutic about watching a long line of everyday, work-worn, business-like rolling stock trundling by - something us youngsters sadly missed out on; PN exudes the atmosphere perfectly...

David

• RMweb Premium

I agree with Tony in Oz. It's rare to see layouts which can accommodate long rakes of stock, and it contributes greatly to the realism of the composition

This is actually a very long rake, 50+ wagons plus brake, and I wanted to convey that in my pictures. Alas, it is very difficult to do so, particularly as the overall roof breaks up the scene, so I just photographed the wagons in groups as they passed by a fixed point.

post-98-0-31671600-1464297124_thumb.jpg

post-98-0-85768500-1464297148_thumb.jpg

There are still a few more out of sight actually.

Even when the locomotive has got this far.

post-98-0-28132800-1464297218_thumb.jpg

Enough for this evening. We have had a very pleasant day golfing near York, but I am now to say the least rather tired.

• Like 17