Peterborough North

great northern

• RMweb Premium

I think (as it was some time ago....yesterday maybe?) it was search for locomotives with unusual chimneys.(see below for that)?    So it was 'pictures of LNER locomotives' and scroll down the more pictures part.

P

Was there a caption with it? This is intriguing me. It looks as though it was taken when the engine was on the scrap line, in which case it may be someone's idea of a joke. I can't think of any other explanation.

• RMweb Premium

It looks to me as if it had been used as a "stationary boiler" supplying steam for some purpose such as boiler washouts, at a big shed. Note the valve fitted on top of the dome, and I would suggest the square chimney formed the base of a tall stack, which had been removed to take the engine away. As it wasn't moving, this would be the best way of forming a draught for the fire.

• RMweb Premium

It looks to me as if it had been used as a "stationary boiler" supplying steam for some purpose such as boiler washouts, at a big shed. Note the valve fitted on top of the dome, and I would suggest the square chimney formed the base of a tall stack, which had been removed to take the engine away. As it wasn't moving, this would be the best way of forming a draught for the fire.

Thank you very much. That never occurred to me, but it is clearly the answer, and not something that would be likely to be mentioned in the RCTS green book.

• RMweb Premium

Right, having got that teaser out of the way, we shall have another photo to celebrate.

post-98-0-13719900-1464981555_thumb.jpg

B1 now attached, and waiting time, flanked by the two station pilots, and with the main line pilot in the background. Colour film is expensive in 1958, so why bother when all of the locos are black anyway?

• Like 14

• RMweb Premium

Anyone reading this thread ..... have you seen Mike Trice's new range of 3D printed items? It includes the  Monsoon (is it?) Vents for LNER Restaurant/Kitchen Cars. This is really good news as I will be part building another early Triplet in the very near future. Gilbert, check your sets as you might need some?

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/111744-mike-trices-shapeways-shop/&do=findComment&comment=2326946

Post #9

Phil

Edited by Mallard60022

I'm searching at the moment for bus pics in Peterborough, in order to make some destination blinds for "the bridge bus". In doing so, I've come across this wonderful site. Probably already been sen, but still good to see.

Stewart

(Can't seem to paste the link so I'll type it in)

peterboroughimages.co.uk

Thank you very much. That never occurred to me, but it is clearly the answer, and not something that would be likely to be mentioned in the RCTS green book.

The answer lies in Yeadon's Register Part 25. N1 69461 was sent to Stratford for repair but was withdrawn on 7th June, 1954. In November 1954 Stratford made it Stationary Boiler 3294 and installed it at Shoeburyness for pre-heating coaches. It served on that duty until December, 1962 and by 21st January, 1963 SB 3294 was back at Stratford and was cut up in March, 1963.

The last N1 to survive intact by a number of years.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I'm searching at the moment for bus pics in Peterborough, in order to make some destination blinds for "the bridge bus". In doing so, I've come across this wonderful site. Probably already been sen, but still good to see.

Stewart

(Can't seem to paste the link so I'll type it in)

peterboroughimages.co.uk

Yes, wonderful site Stewart, and one of my most productive when looking for shots of the old railway. In fact, without that site, British Railways steaming through Peterborough, and Rail Centres Peterborough, I wonder if the layout would have been possible.

• RMweb Premium

The answer lies in Yeadon's Register Part 25. N1 69461 was sent to Stratford for repair but was withdrawn on 7th June, 1954. In November 1954 Stratford made it Stationary Boiler 3294 and installed it at Shoeburyness for pre-heating coaches. It served on that duty until December, 1962 and by 21st January, 1963 SB 3294 was back at Stratford and was cut up in March, 1963.

The last N1 to survive intact by a number of years.

Excellent! Last piece of the jigsaw, thanks. I do now vaguely remember having read about this somewhere.

• RMweb Gold

That is a lovely picture of Gayton Hall. It looks so right. More please.

And I saw an A3 nameplate today. Could not purchase it. It was in the N.R.M! :jester:

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• RMweb Gold

When in doubt, post a picture of either an A3 or a B17. Here is a closer view of Gayton Hall.

There is never doubt about a B17 or A3 pic, that is for sure!

• RMweb Premium

That is a lovely picture of Gayton Hall. It looks so right. More please.

And I saw an A3 nameplate today. Could not purchase it. It was in the N.R.M! :jester:

With warmest regards,

Rob.

Oh. all right then. Even though I have derailed the tender again.

post-98-0-39990100-1465032636_thumb.jpg

Too idle to walk up the other end of the room to get the controller, so I push everything along, and get what I deserve.

post-98-0-83677500-1465032721_thumb.jpg

Gayton Hall having departed, the V2 can bring the stock of the 7.25 to Kings Cross in to Platform 2. This would not be a commuter train, even if there were people who commuted from Peterborough to London in those days. There is a much faster service due shortly.

• Like 14

I commuted to London in the 80s. At that time, there were large numbers of "blue collar" as well as "white collar" commuters - many of them on free, or heavily subsidised fares; railwaymen travelling to Hornsey and Kings X, LUL staff of various descriptions, Post Office staff travelling between Mount Pleasant, Clerkenwell and the huge sorting office at Peterborough...

I'd guess that Peterborough first became a commuter town as part of the huge exodus from London following the building of the New Towns in the 1960s

Edited by rockershovel

• RMweb Premium

Peterborough was earmarked for growth overseen by the Peterborough Development Corporation which was established in February 1968, as part of a national government initiative, following the city's designation as a third-wave New Town in July 1967. It was overseen by the Minister of Housing and Local Government, but sought close collaboration with Peterborough City Council and the Huntingdon and Peterborough (from 1974 Cambridgeshire) County Council.

The new towns in the United Kingdom were planned under the powers of the New Towns Act 1946 and later acts to relocate populations in poor or bombed-out housing following WW2. They were developed in three waves. Later developments included the expanded towns: existing towns which were substantially expanded to accommodate what was called the "overspill" population from densely populated areas of deprivation. Peterborough was designated to take overspill from the deprived areas London.

As such it would have seen the start of commuting in the late 60's developing into the dormitory town that it now has, undoubtedly, become. There is little skilled white collar work in the city for those in Financial Services for example despite efforts by the local council in the early 90's to cash in on that market. That increase in the commuting population has seen strains placed on the rail and road network leading too the many changes from the 1959 scene depicted by Gilbert to the modern scene. I well recall odd weeks commuting to London in the mid 90's where you were lucky to get on the train let alone find a seat.

The city used to house large workforces for Pearl Assurance and Barclays in the 80's to the 00's but both of those companies are long gone. Yorkshire Building Society and Royal and Sun Alliance do, however, maintain head office operations in the city. Barclays had over 700 staff at one point at Lynchwood across the road from Pearl who are also long gone. The only option for those staff once the job market in Peterborough for their skills collapsed was to relocate or commute, many, after finding little or no work in the city, chose to commute just as I have. The only difference in my case is that I originally went east, by road, to Cambridge but now go north by rail. I didn't fancy London. That commute will cease at Christmas 2017 by choice.

Edited by Richard E

That all seems to fit. I arrived in Peterborough in the late 1970s because my wife-to-be found work there (she spent her whole career with Cambs CC is recently retired) and because it was driving distance to the offshore bases at Yarmouth and Lowestoft, and the East Coast sleeper to Aberdeen (those were the days of arriving at Waterloo Dock or Dyce completely kippered, with no interest in breathalysers before boarding or other such modern amenities). I went abroad after a while and so the whole business became academic anyway.

The whole area NW of the town out to the A1 was one vast, incomprehensible building site and I never went there, for that matter I still don't. I've never had a days local work and there are still places within an easy walk of my house, that I couldn't point to on a street map.

No 1 Son lives in a house built on what was the Showground when he was a toddler, in the days of the Steam Expo and the BMF Rally filled the Showground with thousands of motorcycles, one weekend a year. He now works at Lynchwood, in one of the small web design and computer tech companies that ebb and flow through the semi-deserted office estates that once housed the likes of Pearl and Barclays.

commuting in the 80s was consistently awful, with unreliable, overcrowded services of elderly carriage stock superseded by cramped, noisy electrics. The early morning HST services - the 5:36, 6:00 and 6:40 - were heavily used by railway and postal workers. Evening services were dire. I spent three years on night shifts working on the tube line projects of the early 90s and was glad of the break from the rush hour,

Slightly OT but I think relevant?

There was an article in Modern Railways, must have been about 1966, talking about the new electrification on the WCML. It was mentioned that "we now have commuters as far out as Northampton". That is a similar distance to Peterborough. It soon became known as the Sparks Effect of electrification. In Huntingdon, I drove every morning to Police HQ, which is situated just across the road from the station. After electrification, it was suddenly noticeable that there was an increase in road traffic round the ring road to the station, and the registrations of those cars were noticeably from the London and SE area rather than local. However I do agree that the commuters from Peterborough started before electrification.

Stewart

The electrification was promised long before it appeared! Plus, there were worthwhile incentives for railway and PO staff to commute from a very early stage, people were leaving London in droves at that time.

Edited by rockershovel

• RMweb Premium

Good morning all. I can now at last deal with the final request that I had some time back. Here, for Sam SVR, is a Midland engine. 41157 is in charge of the first Peterborough East - Leicester local on this fine morning.

post-98-0-80535000-1465115718_thumb.jpg

post-98-0-48076600-1465115738_thumb.jpg

Out of pictures now, so I'd better go and take some more.

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium

Good morning all. I can now at last deal with the final request that I had some time back. Here, for Sam SVR, is a Midland engine. 41157 is in charge of the first Peterborough East - Leicester local on this fine morning.

attachicon.gif1157 2.jpg

attachicon.gif1157 1.jpg

Out of pictures now, so I'd better go and take some more.

That second one is an absolute pearler.

• RMweb Premium

Immediate apologies to those who may not like to see this on here, as it has nothing to do with railways, let alone mine. It is what I see each morning at the moment when I draw back my curtains, and it is a sight which lifts my spirits. I thought it might do the same for others, so here it is.

post-98-0-01449200-1465139341_thumb.jpg

I only get this display for about three weeks each year, but it is well worth waiting for. More trains soon.

• Like 13

Thanks Gilbert, a lovely pair of pics !

Amazing to think that when 41157 was built by the LMS in 1925 as one of their main express passenger locos, the LNER had a fleet of A1 pacifics and the GWR had a growing fleet of castles !

Thanks, Sam