Peterborough North

great northern

• RMweb Premium

All that last crop needs is a sheen on everything as if it has been raining, render it in black and white and it could be the real thing.

Somehow it really imparts bulk to the sheds in the background in just the way real life does and makes the railway sit in the scene. My only criticism is what looks like a small gap at the foot of the nearest platform wall but even that will be less prominent with using black and white.

I can do the black and white bit Richard, but not the rain effect. I had thought about doing it in b/w actually, and I agree that it does work well. We will get all of those gaps sorted..... eventually.

post-98-0-60764600-1464785709_thumb.jpg

• Like 15

Yes, I've got this wrong, in an attempt to bend things to suit my needs. I should have a V2 sitting doing nothing all day, as that is what happened in 1958, but I really don't have as many V2s as I need, and so I relegate the worst examples to this duty. I agree that would not have happened, and indeed I have read more than once that although New England engines looked pretty awful on the outside, internally they were generally sound, so a good 'un would have been selected for pilot duty. I should not have drawn attention to the general decrepitude of the locos I choose. They are right though for the KX slows, which would be just the sort of thing I think that would be allocated to something that needed to have its mileage increased before it could be proposed for shopping.

More v2s? ditto!

• RMweb Premium

Another cold grey and windy morning here, getting a bit tedious. Instead let us go back nearly sixty years :O to a nice morning in a place where steam rules almost supreme, and watch 60023 making its way into the station.

post-98-0-98557800-1464857794_thumb.jpg

That sky looked too blue, even when toned down, so it was replaced by another for the next shot. The N5 is moving away from the stock in Platform 3, so the locos have changed positions.

post-98-0-26821500-1464857944_thumb.jpg

I find that I prefer A4s with the double chimney, but that it slightly spoils the appearance and symmetry of an A3. A bit illogical really, I suppose.

• Like 14

• RMweb Premium

A4s, double chimney....yup, makes them look 'strong'.

As it is still grey and cold, give yourself a few minutes fun by doing the link below.

http://www.douglas-self.com/MUSEUM/LOCOLOCO/chimney/chimney.htm

OT for this post only:

A3, double chimney, no deflectors and with GN tender. For me, beautiful (but I could just accept a single chimney in this format).

K. Illchap

• RMweb Premium

A4s, double chimney....yup, makes them look 'strong'.

As it is still grey and cold, give yourself a few minutes fun by doing the link below.

http://www.douglas-self.com/MUSEUM/LOCOLOCO/chimney/chimney.htm

OT for this post only:

A3, double chimney, no deflectors and with GN tender. For me, beautiful (but I could just accept a single chimney in this format).

K. Illchap

Damn funny chap, Johnny foreigner, what?

• RMweb Premium

One more view of Golden Eagle tonight.

post-98-0-27116000-1464902292_thumb.jpg

Note how few things are sticking out of the top of it.

post-98-0-76243000-1464902392_thumb.jpg

and the C12 has now attached that BG to the rear of the train.

post-98-0-38306000-1464902463_thumb.jpg

and has also done it in black and white.

• Like 19

• RMweb Premium

Today you are privileged to see an impending disaster. The B17 has now backed on, and 60023 is reversing down to New England for servicing. As the Down Main is occupied, it has been routed along Platform 6, but as you can see something has gone awry.

post-98-0-68394200-1464945781_thumb.jpg

Fortunately the engine was moving very slowly, and prompt action by the driver prevented a complete derailment. :no:

I thought this would make a nice photo, and potentially it does. Being idle again, I crane shunted the engine and put it back on track, or not, here. As usual, it wasn't noticable when looking at the view finder. I suppose I could check each shot after I take it, but I forget.

post-98-0-21229300-1464946094_thumb.jpg

Another filthy and run down loco is allocated to a train where hopefully not much harm can be done. This one is backing down onto the Doncaster slow. In a few weeks though, all the wayside stations it serves will be closed, and this service, which has run at around this time for a century and more, will be no more.

• Like 11

• RMweb Premium

Where did you find that Phil?

I think (as it was some time ago....yesterday maybe?) it was search for locomotives with unusual chimneys.(see below for that)?    So it was 'pictures of LNER locomotives' and scroll down the more pictures part.

P

Edited by Mallard60022

• RMweb Premium

Meant to add that there is one loco pictured in the link that our dear duck might like to try running on Seaton Junction. Mind you if you produced it on an exhibition layout the rivet counters would be saying 'impossible, the Southern would never have done anything like that!'

• RMweb Premium

Meant to add that there is one loco pictured in the link that our dear duck might like to try running on Seaton Junction. Mind you if you produced it on an exhibition layout the rivet counters would be saying 'impossible, the Southern would never have done anything like that!'

If it is the Arthur with the 'stealth' triple chimney, then in my Book of the King Arthurs (I think that's the name) there are quite a few other crazy experimental chimney attachments. Hilarious and it would be fun to frighten the RCs!

Philth