Peterborough North

great northern

• RMweb Gold

I have volunteered to go and help with collecting fallen leaves on the golf course,(we have a very large number of trees). And so, after virtually no rain for weeks, it is ****ing down this morning, also very cold and snow is forecast. Oh, joy!  Before I go, here is another shot of Tottenham Hotspur running in with that Doncaster Class B.

attachicon.gif1630 2.JPG

Wrap up warm, my mother would have said. I shall resemble the Michelin man.

What a fabulous shot Gilbert.

Nice train behind the B17, so I did a higher shot to show all of it.

1630 3.JPG

The sky is actually very similar to what was to be seen outside at the time.

The buildings, bridge, signals etc - stunning!

But why is the man near the lamppost holding a sledgehammer?

• RMweb Premium

The buildings, bridge, signals etc - stunning!

But why is the man near the lamppost holding a sledgehammer?

That is actually for breaking up large lumps of coal. It is maybe not the very best of models, but is what was used.

Regards,

Rob.

I think Bachmann would claim that he is a wheeltapper.

Hi Gilbert

Always nice to see Tottenham Hotspur out on your layout.

Just a point of interest I am out shopping with the boss at the Outlet Village in Swindon and I just popped into Hornby's shop there and they are selling the China made Hornby A3 60093 Coranch brand new in its box for £97.00 which I think is a bargain if anyone is interested.

Keep the photos coming

Regards

David

This morning, we shall have a close up of two lovely Gresley coaches.

attachicon.gifGresleys.JPG

and then one of a B17, which is always welcome.

attachicon.gif1630 4.JPG

One of those little mysteries surrounds 61630, which was a long time Stratford loco, until transferred to March on 20/7/58. It was then withdrawn on 19/8/58!  Its last general overhaul had been in October 1956, so it was due another works visit, and by this time B17s were not being overhauled. Was this then just one of those paper transfers? No March engine went in the opposite direction though, as often happened in such circumstances.

Anyway, I think it did work for a few weeks while at March, as it suits me for it to have done so. Andy Rush told me that if an engine arrived at March in typical Stratford condition it would immediately have been cleaned up as much as possible, so Tim's weathering brief here was to make it look like an engne that had a deep seated coating of grime, but a cleaning, possibly involving oil, over the top. This actually shows up better on the earlier images, rather than this one, but as usual he achieved what I asked for, and I have another Footballer.

Gosh .. that's a beauty and the weathering and paintwork has a very subtle touch - looks like a real working loco without descending into "fit-for-the-scrapyard" territory.

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Gilbert,

What's the provenence of the two Gresleys? I'm just finishing an MJT on Hornby CK conversion, and it's quite hard work - especially all that door furniture!

Cheers

Andy

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Gilbert,

What's the provenence of the two Gresleys? I'm just finishing an MJT on Hornby CK conversion, and it's quite hard work - especially all that door furniture!

Cheers

Andy

Hi Andy,

Both were built by Ian Willets and painted by Dave Studley. Ian only asks me to provide the sides, and he then builds the coach using his preferred materials. I use MJT sides where possible, and have done so with both of these. I think Ian uses a lot of MJT parts as well.

Snow, what snow? Had my sleeveless vest ready an all

attachicon.gifdownload (3).jpg

H. Ardblokefromrotferd.

I caught the train from Ely to Cambridge last Sunday evening around 6.30pm. Temperature was not much above freezing. A guy with a bike came on the platform, wearing army type patterned trousers, woollen gloves, but no shirt!

Stewart

• RMweb Premium

It's a black and white night. First a view down the station forecourt looking South. Note the lovely line of poles receding into the distance.

post-98-0-92649300-1478816304_thumb.jpg

and then we have a view from the loading dock. A B1 is at Platform 2 with the 1.12pm slow to Kings Cross, while Mallard pulls in to Platform 6 with the 1040 Kings Cross - Grantham.

post-98-0-07154600-1478816474_thumb.jpg

• Like 16

It's a black and white night. First a view down the station forecourt looking South. Note the lovely line of poles receding into the distance.

attachicon.gifforecourt.JPG

and then we have a view from the loading dock. A B1 is at Platform 2 with the 1.12pm slow to Kings Cross, while Mallard pulls in to Platform 6 with the 1040 Kings Cross - Grantham.

attachicon.gif22 and B1 1.JPG

I know that I've said it before but it really is quite scary how accurate your detail is, Gilbert.

In that first shot I can imagine riding my bike into it, down Station Road, off on a trainspotting trip. I almost expect to see old Jim in his booth by the barrier, waiting to clip my platform ticket!

:D

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Can we see the coaches that Mallard is hauling please Gilbert? Thank you.

Best regards,

Rob.

These are the best I can do Rob.It's difficult to photograph a full train in Platform 6, and it hasn't left for the North yet!

post-98-0-65246600-1478857689_thumb.jpg

post-98-0-87694500-1478857721_thumb.jpg

It is getting to the time of year when the photographic challenges are pretty extreme, so I'm afraid standards may fall a bit.

The second shot was taken with the camera balanced on the baseboard edge, and needed four seconds exposure. As you can see I didn't quite manage to keep the camera still for that length of time.

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

A glorious day, and so the postponed leaf raking took place. I do prefer jobs where you can see a result right from the start, rather than those where you work for three hours and then struggle to see any progress at all. This falls firmly into the first category, gave a glow of achievement, and contributed greatly to my weekly 150 minutes of moderate exercise. Lovely.

Anyway, up to the railway room after lunch, but even on a lovely afternoon, not much light, so I've done something a bit different, and photographed some happenings in the fiddle yard. If you are really not interested in seeing this sort of thing, just say so and I will desist.

post-98-0-50492900-1478879271_thumb.jpg

So, what you see here is a Down train which has used a strategically placed crossover to access the Up side of the fiddle yard, and is heading for Road 1. Once there, the loco will reverse the stock onto the cassette to the left of the photo.

• Like 18

Hello Gilbert,

I have been reading on and off your journey to create such an iconic masterpiece in awe.  The article in this months Hornby Mag tops this off. Awesome is a word abused by our colonial cousins across the pond but I have to say it totally suits Peterborough North. 

Long may it continue

Pete

• Like 1