Peterborough North

great northern

• RMweb Premium

Gilbert, just to add I sent the photo in post#13168 to my partner, she is a Peterborian, I said "So, is this the real thing?"; this was her reply "Could be but before my time, although I'm sure I remember cobbles round there and the road looks too smooth!"

Now time can play tricks with memory. It certainly seems to have been tarmac in 1964 (credit peterboroughimages) whilst from the same source a 1939 photo looks as if it might have been cobbles although it is very difficult to tell.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

The pictures continue to stun us Gilbert. 

You have to look now for the "model" giveaway. Amazing stuff.

Thank you

Martin Long

A bit like Persian carpet weavers, who have to introduce deliberate errors as perfection is unattainable by mortals.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

This is all very kind, chaps, but I think it is really just a question of me getting a bit more cunning at cropping out the bits that give the game away really. Peter's work of course will stand up to almost any scrutiny, but so far as some of the rest is concerned there is still a long way to go.

• Like 1

Anyway, recent requests were duly noted, and photographers have been asked to concentrate more on one area.

attachicon.gif04 2.JPG

this is also available in close up and monochrome.

attachicon.gif04 2 alt.JPG

Not quite sharp at f2.8, but other settings are of course available, and I shall experiment with them. Perhaps when there is a bit less sun too.

Hi Gilbert

Your interior photos of PN main station building are superb.

Regarding your photos and depth of field, and please fogive me if I am preaching to you something you are fully aware of.

On the one occasion I visited Tony to see his Little Bytham Layout he set my own Canon G1X to maximum apature f16 on a manual setting and adjust the shutter speed to suit your lighting conditions, then putting the camera on self timer and rest it on either a tripod or directly on the track as Tony did and I must admit the results were brilliant and I have used this principle ever since and must admit I am very happy with the results I have achieved.

Give it a try if you haven't already and see what you think.

And please keep your superb photos coming on your thread.

Regards

David

Edited by landscapes
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi Gilbert

Your interior photos of PN main station building are superb.

Regarding your photos and depth of field, and please fogive me if I am preaching to you something you are fully aware of.

On the one occasion I visited Tony to see his Little Bytham Layout he set my own Canon G1X to maximum apature f16 on a manual setting and adjust the shutter speed to suit your lighting conditions, then putting the camera on self timer and rest it on either a tripod or directly on the track as Tony did and I must admit the results were brilliant and I have used this principle ever since and must admit I am very happy with the results I have achieved.

Give it a try if you haven't already and see what you think.

And please keep your superb photos coming on your thread.

Regards

David

f8 is as far as my G12 will go, David. I always use manual settings, self timer and normally place the camera on the baseboard. I can't get any decent results under the roof with f8 though, so I'll be experimenting with something in between that and f2.8, which loses too much sharpness for my liking.

• RMweb Premium

Gilbert, just to add I sent the photo in post#13168 to my partner, she is a Peterborian, I said "So, is this the real thing?"; this was her reply "Could be but before my time, although I'm sure I remember cobbles round there and the road looks too smooth!"

Now time can play tricks with memory. It certainly seems to have been tarmac in 1964 (credit peterboroughimages) whilst from the same source a 1939 photo looks as if it might have been cobbles although it is very difficult to tell.

This is the one I rely on Richard. It looks like my period, or not much earlier.

post-98-0-25116900-1479593962_thumb.jpg

Image copyright of Andrew C Ingram.

Everything I have seen has shown smooth surface, though that is probably no more than half a dozen images.

• Like 8

• RMweb Premium

My back says I am a very silly old person, and told me to stop playing golf today, so now I am resting it, and sitting here is as good as anywhere. Our other photographer was far more active though, and recorded this down Newcastle as it approached.

post-98-0-66769100-1479594268_thumb.jpg

I need a way to clean track under the roof without removing it. Any suggestions?

• Like 14

• RMweb Premium

I need a way to clean track under the roof without removing it. Any suggestions?

I have a CMX brass track cleaning car, it's US made and really effective. The guy who is on Youtube as Everard Junction recommended Goo Gone with it. It's US made too but available on Ebay.

Bad news is Brexit has caused the price to jump to around £135. It needs a heavy loco to pull it.

Syd

• RMweb Gold

Hi there.

A brace of Dapol track cleaning cars is good. Push them don't pull them, with the first one sucking and the second one buffing with the light cleaning pads fitted and cleaning fluid in the tank. Works a treat for me.

Regards Lez.Z. 

My back says I am a very silly old person, and told me to stop playing golf today, so now I am resting it, and sitting here is as good as anywhere. Our other photographer was far more active though, and recorded this down Newcastle as it approached.

attachicon.gif50 1.JPG

Whilst the CMX is not cheap, it is a great investment, Gilbert.  Used with cellulose thinners (carefully, as they are not pleasant), it will do the job. Your Bachmann Deltic will pull it just fine.

If that O4 doesn't come off at Peterborough how far will it go? It would have been a real rarity at Ferme Park.

Stunning shots under the roof, particularly the O4 shots (although colour pics of the 2-8-0s must be like hens' teeth!).

Chaz

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

This is the one I rely on Richard. It looks like my period, or not much earlier.

attachicon.gifstation forecourt today.jpg

Everything I have seen has shown smooth surface, though that is probably no more than half a dozen images.

Having suffered at the hands of our lawyer on the last vehicle identification, I will nevertheless say that in the centre of this shot is a Phase 2 Standard Vanguard, first manufactured in 1953, according to Wikipedia. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

If that O4 doesn't come off at Peterborough how far will it go? It would have been a real rarity at Ferme Park.

Stunning shots under the roof, particularly the O4 shots (although colour pics of the 2-8-0s must be like hens' teeth!).

Chaz

It would get to London, Chaz, which I agree would not have happened very often. There are just enough reported sightings of 04s though to give some small justification, and there must have been others that went unrecorded.

We are very fortunate at PN that in 1958 there was at least one very well heeled photographer who could apparently afford limitless supplies of colour film.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Having suffered at the hands of our lawyer on the last vehicle identification, I will nevertheless say that in the centre of this shot is a Phase 2 Standard Vanguard, first manufactured in 1953, according to Wikipedia. 

That's how I knew it was mid 50s Ian, as we had one as our family car from new. Registration GAP 7! Wouldn't mind owning that one now.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

attachicon.gifstation forecourt today.jpg

Something sadly missing from currently available 'ready to plonk' road vehicles (as far as I know) is that kind of Post Office van, which seems to have been characteristic of all sorts of railway staton photographs of the period.