Peterborough North

great northern

It amazes me, Gilbert, how you know what hauled what, from where, to where, and when and then, according to what's available, make up the correct formations.

PN isn't just about the layout itself, but the research that you must have put into it.

If ever they gave out Oscars to railway modellers, you could stand yours alongside your golf achievements !

Allan.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

A couple of quick images now, as I have been so inspired by the goings on at SOSJ that I feel an urgent need to go and get on with something up in the railway room. Here's one of my attempts at something a bit different.

attachicon.gif1204 2.JPG

followed by the arrival of the 4.19pm stopper from KX, a job for a New England V2.

attachicon.gif875 1.JPG

Having been inspired by PN for about three years I take that as a kind compliment G. Your back would not be enjoying what is happening there at the moment.....loads of stooping and crawling about etc. Got to get this done ASAP so that the CCE can finish his work.

take care my friend.

Philth

Edited by Mallard60022

The yoga does seem to be helping, and I'm also trying some natural pain killing/ anti inflammatories, on which I found some excellent reviews.  Fingers crossed, things do seem to be improving.

Gilbert

Could you share the secret of your magic potion with a fellow back sufferer, please?  I am about to go to a chiropractor for the first time, all else having failed, but if I can contribute from my side, it couldn't do any harm!

My layout won't allow a lifting section, so I need to be able to duck under nimbly for the foreseeable............

Many thanks

Anthony

• RMweb Premium

Did the stopper carry Class headlights, Gilbert?   I'm not au fait with the operational aspects of the ECML at that time.

Although they stopped just about everywhere, all of them left KX with Class A lights, and some of them carried them for the whole journey. The 4.19pm was one of those.  Others got switched about all over the place to get out of the way of faster trains, and so could even be routed onto the slow goods line at times. That, I assume is why the WTT specifies that they become Class B at some stage of the journey. One or two then changed back to Class A again.

• RMweb Premium

Gilbert

Could you share the secret of your magic potion with a fellow back sufferer, please?  I am about to go to a chiropractor for the first time, all else having failed, but if I can contribute from my side, it couldn't do any harm!

My layout won't allow a lifting section, so I need to be able to duck under nimbly for the foreseeable............

Many thanks

Anthony

I have never regretted going to a chiropractor, quite the reverse, so I hope he/she can sort you out. Unfortunately they cannot do the impossible and make us young again! Fortunately, unless I do something silly, these days I only go about once every 10 weeks for a quick check over but I am convinced I would be in a wheelchair by now had I left it to others. As it is I feel pretty fit for my age. Over time I have found that each chiropractic doctor has slightly different methods but they have all been effective.

• RMweb Premium

Gilbert

Many thanks

Anthony

I'm trying Curamin extra strength tablets. After five days, I have a lot less pain, and much less restricted movement. I've been for one of my power walks this evening, and was surprised how much more comfortable and easy a 4mph pace was to keep up. I can still feel the places where I have problems, but there is no claim that the tablets actually cure whatever problem you have.  They do seem to have good anti inflammatory properties, and that's what I needed now that I can't take NSAIDS any more.

• RMweb Premium

What we need on here are Osteopath and a Chiropractor MR modellers so that we get the best of all worlds.

My theory is that they can help us keep things stretched and mobile that we used to do with more exciting things in our halcyon days.

All the best to all of us that need them.

Phil

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

After the V2 had passed, our photographer who was looking South under the bridge noticed that an arrival from the spur down to East was now signalled. A quick check of the WTT which he carries everywhere with him confirmed that the evening local from Cambridge was due. Knowing that we get some very nice GE engines on these services, he kept the camera trained.

post-98-0-22778200-1502007886_thumb.jpg

and observed the unwritten rule that sights like this require at least two photos to be taken.

post-98-0-96565200-1502007975_thumb.jpg

Apologies for yet another cock eyed lamp. Tacky wax obviously isn't tacky enough.

• Like 19

It is where I am now, Allan. When I was younger, I could do more practical stuff myself, and had to, as I had all the usual family and financial constraints. I was never better than an average modeller though, and not within a very long distance of the people who now do what I cannot.

Now, I can afford to put what I know is beyond me out to those with great talents, but I still want to feel that I have in some way put my mark on the project. I'm better at thinking than doing really, so I concentrated on getting the working railway side of it as accurate as I could. I enjoy research, and there is so much more information available now than there used to be, so it has turned out to be very rewarding. I can also do the visualising side, as you will remember when you worked with me. I can see in my mind what will look correct and harmonious, and usually achieve compromise where needed without losing too much prototypical accuracy, but there is no chance that I could then do it myself, so I explain it to someone who can. I'm comfortable now with accepting that is what I can do, and not giving myself endless frustration by trying to do things which are beyond my present abilities. Speaking of which, how many people are there who would be capable of creating this?  I took this photo specifically with you in mind, as you will know exactly the difficulties that Peter had to overcome.

attachicon.gifroof detail.JPG

It's like everything else, Gilbert, it's only difficult when you don't know how, but with Peter Leyland it goes much further than that where he's an exceptional talent in his own rights as is evident in your photograph. I've been modeling for years now and even now I would struggle to achieve that kind of accuracy.

A really fine example of the master's work indeed.

Allan 

Edited by allan downes
  • Like 3

It's like everything else, Gilbert, it's only difficult when you don't know how, but with Peter Leyland it goes much further than that where he's an exceptional talent in his own rights as is evident in your photograph. I've been modeling for years now and even now I would struggle to achieve that kind of accuracy.

A really fine example of the master's work indeed.

Allan 

When I was a much younger person an I am know my father and I went to the Model Railway Exhibition, which I'm sure was at the Methodist Central Hall in Westminster, where he stood enthralled  for ages by a layout made by you Allan, I seem to recall a railway along the foot of a high embankment atop which was a complete village amazingly lifelike.

Indeed my dad remarked on how realistic it was, and I will never forget him saying the 'Amazing thing about this layout is that even though they are magnificent, the trains themselves are almost incidental to the beauty of the landscape."

I've always remembered that description and though never able to even come one tenth of one percent close to it, been in awe of the work that you and Peter Leyland create.

To now be able to share a forum in the company of such greats is one of the wonders of the modern age.

• Like 3

When I was a much younger person an I am know my father and I went to the Model Railway Exhibition, which I'm sure was at the Methodist Central Hall in Westminster, where he stood enthralled  for ages by a layout made by you Allan, I seem to recall a railway along the foot of a high embankment atop which was a complete village amazingly lifelike.

Indeed my dad remarked on how realistic it was, and I will never forget him saying the 'Amazing thing about this layout is that even though they are magnificent, the trains themselves are almost incidental to the beauty of the landscape."

I've always remembered that description and though never able to even come one tenth of one percent close to it, been in awe of the work that you and Peter Leyland create.

To now be able to share a forum in the company of such greats is one of the wonders of the modern age.

I do so agree with your comments about those two fine gentlemen,but the same applies with Peter Goss and his layouts,including " Worlds End "  (based upon Knaresborough)  & "Rowlands Castle" although there should also be a mention for his Wife who has contributed to the overall effect on some of his layouts.  I also recall many visits to Westminster in the 60's & 70's with probably the Frank Dyer layouts my favourites, Loved Borchester.

Regards Derek.

Edited by CUTLER2579

Enough of medical bulletins, here are another couple of shots of 60875 bringing the 4.19 to the end of its journey.

attachicon.gif875 2.JPG

attachicon.gif875 3.JPG

I like that first photo of 875, it could almost be a 7mm model! The finish is very well done, very convincing. Just one small point of interest - that rear section coupling rod looks distinctly fish-shaped - does it not? Checking through Peter Coster's "The Book of the V2s" the first few locos seem to have them shaped so, but so very gently curved that it's hard to be sure. The official photographs of Green Arrow suggest a very subtle curvature. The photos of 875 suggest that its rods were parallel.

No need to hurl such a fine model in the nearest bin though!

ATB

Chaz

I'm trying Curamin extra strength tablets. After five days, I have a lot less pain, and much less restricted movement. I've been for one of my power walks this evening, and was surprised how much more comfortable and easy a 4mph pace was to keep up. I can still feel the places where I have problems, but there is no claim that the tablets actually cure whatever problem you have.  They do seem to have good anti inflammatory properties, and that's what I needed now that I can't take NSAIDS any more.

Thank you - I will certainly give them a whirl.  Couldn't contemplate not being able to get into the layout!

Anthony

• RMweb Premium

Are those what Henry used to use when the wick in his wife's engine went out in the Goons?

Dr Robert.

• RMweb Premium

I may be going to get into awful trouble here. Many years ago, Allan told me all about that first layout of his, which I remember seeing in Railway Modeller. Your dad was closer to the truth than he thought, as Allan confessed to me that the trains were entirely incidental, as it hadn't occurred to him that they should be able to run.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

I like that first photo of 875, it could almost be a 7mm model! The finish is very well done, very convincing. Just one small point of interest - that rear section coupling rod looks distinctly fish-shaped - does it not? Checking through Peter Coster's "The Book of the V2s" the first few locos seem to have them shaped so, but so very gently curved that it's hard to be sure. The official photographs of Green Arrow suggest a very subtle curvature. The photos of 875 suggest that its rods were parallel.

No need to hurl such a fine model in the nearest bin though!

ATB

Chaz

It had a lot of work done to it by Ian Rathbone, Chaz, hence the finish, but even he couldn't turn a 1992 Bachmann V2 into something entirely accurate!

• Like 1

Formation of the 4.15 Down is mostly MK1,  3xSK* BSK*3xSK* then RB FO FK* BSK* The FO would be Gresley, but the real problem in modelling this formation correctly is the RB. irritatingly, I can't find the exact reference just now, but it was a unique vehicle. If my memory serves me correctly, I think it was a conversion of a Dia 27a third open, but it certainly isn't available in kit form, let alone RTR. I cheat with a Hornby Gresley RB at the moment. I can't get at the set to photograph it, I'm afraid, but it is fairly boring anyway, with six SKs and nine MK1s in total.

The other E.Lincs service, 6.45pm ex KX, creates a similar problem. Again it is nearly all MK1 stock, but contains an RKB, which again I believe was a one off vehicle. I use the same rake for both trains, by the way.

If anyone can give better details of the RB and RKB mentioned, I would be very much obliged.

The RB in the 4:15pm down is listed as a 24 seat 33 ton vehicle, so my guess would be that it was a D.168 Tourist Buffet Car.

The RKB in the 6:45pm down was a 1953 BR conversion from a D.16 Gresley RT. There were 3 such conversions E9063/4/5E and they had 4 seats and weighed 39 tons. The two saloon windows adjacent to the pantry were panelled over to allow for the buffet bar counter. I'm not sure how the 4 seats were arranged in the 2 end window bays.