Peterborough North

great northern

Sorry to hear about the muscular highness Gilbert, all too familiar with it myself and actually seeing my favourite Chiropractor today - I go every 3-4 weeks and he unlocks my back which seems to give relief, but lifestyle inevitably locks it back up again - I suspect it is a combination of age, avoirdupois ( in my case) and injury

I too am hugely impressed by progress at SOSJ, and was very amused this morning by the following letter in this quarter's Bluebell News in the letters section commenting on the Easter visit of 60103.

"Sir, congratulations on an excellent weekend with an admirable loco. 

I wonder if it has crossed many of your (southern) readers' minds that the four most popular locos not he mainline are Scotsman, Tornado, Bittern and Sir Nigel Gresley. Regular runs on the West Highland are always best populated when Mayflower, in green, is in charge, and the National Railway Museum is in York.

Remind me, which one earned the name 'God's Wonderful Railway?'

And here we have a lovely slice of it recreated!

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Sorry to hear about the muscular highness Gilbert, all too familiar with it myself and actually seeing my favourite Chiropractor today - I go every 3-4 weeks and he unlocks my back which seems to give relief, but lifestyle inevitably locks it back up again - I suspect it is a combination of age, avoirdupois ( in my case) and injury

I too am hugely impressed by progress at SOSJ, and was very amused this morning by the following letter in this quarter's Bluebell News in the letters section commenting on the Easter visit of 60103.

I wonder if it has crossed many of your (southern) readers' minds that the four most popular locos not he mainline are Scotsman, Tornado, Bittern and Sir Nigel Gresley. Regular runs on the West Highland are always best populated when Mayflower, in green, is in charge, and the National Railway Museum is in York.

Thank you Peter. My chiro has been very good until recently, but they don't seem to have an answer to the present problem, so I'm getting a second opinion. Thanks also for bringing that very good and factually accurate letter to our attention. I think we need say no more, as we don't want any of that tiresome faction fighting, do we? Is there an "ineffably superior" emoticon? :jester:

• Like 1

'God's Wonderful Railway?'

Surely G W R stands for Gresley Was Right?     :sungum: 

• Like 1

Huge apologies, I must have been half asleep to post a Dock Green posting in your PN topic. I have moved it.

If you would like to see it follow the link below to my Dock Green topic.

Chaz

Edited by chaz
  • Like 8

• RMweb Premium

I've had a good operating session today, and was surprised to find that I had also taken 26 photos. There were some very photogenic subjects though. 26 images to photoshop, but never mind. Anyway, being so resource rich, I can afford a bonus shot. It's that M&GN to KIngs Lynn with the LMS stock again, and you won't be surprised to see what has backed on.

post-98-0-76089700-1501699834_thumb.jpg

Memo to self. Replace those lamps on the C12. I've just ordered a pair of specs for distances inside 30cm, so things should get a bit easier for jobs like that shortly.

• Like 18

• RMweb Premium

I shall not deprive you of the customary late evening photos, even though one of them reveals one of the biggest howlers I have yet perpetrated. This first one isn't it though, it is just the Ivatt on its way to Kings Lynn.

post-98-0-70890000-1501708974_thumb.jpg

There are even some quite nicely photoshopped signals. But then we come to this.

post-98-0-25278600-1501709072_thumb.jpg

What's wrong with that, you may think. It's a very famous A4 heading the Yorkshire Pullman. There is just one small problem. This is actually the Tees-Tyne Pullman, but I managed to pick up the wrong headboard, attach it and photograph it without noticing my mistake. I'm not sure what the various signalmen have made of this during the course of its journey so far. And just to prove that I really did make a complete pig's ear of this, here is the Pullman car that gives it away.

post-98-0-44796900-1501709432_thumb.jpg

Perhaps the new specs may prevent mistakes like this in future, but I wouldn't count on it.

• Like 18

I shall not deprive you of the customary late evening photos, even though one of them reveals one of the biggest howlers I have yet perpetrated. This first one isn't it though, it is just the Ivatt on its way to Kings Lynn.

Ivatt 2.JPG

There are even some quite nicely photoshopped signals. But then we come to this.

14 1.JPG

What's wrong with that, you may think. It's a very famous A4 heading the Yorkshire Pullman. There is just one small problem. This is actually the Tees-Tyne Pullman, but I managed to pick up the wrong headboard, attach it and photograph it without noticing my mistake. I'm not sure what the various signalmen have made of this during the course of its journey so far. And just to prove that I really did make a complete pig's ear of this, here is the Pullman car that gives it away.

Hadrian.JPG

Perhaps the new specs may prevent mistakes like this in future, but I wouldn't count on it.

I didn't know Hornby did the hadrian Bar.

Could it have had some attention courtesy of Precision Labels? Do I detect a tiny variation in the shade of cream between the name panel and the rest of the car?

..... or perhaps I need better specs' too?

Regards,

John Isherwood.

• RMweb Premium

Could it have had some attention courtesy of Precision Labels? Do I detect a tiny variation in the shade of cream between the name panel and the rest of the car?

..... or perhaps I need better specs' too?

Regards,

John Isherwood.

It started life as the Hornby Daffodil bar, but John Houlden and I quickly realised that with a bit of work it could be transformed into Hadrian. There was more to it than just the transfers, but it is several years ago now, and I can't remember all the details.  An extra window, I think? Anyway, it removed another long standing frustration, as the Tees-Tyne can't be done properly without Hadrian, and there wasn't a way. short of scratchbuilding, of doing it.

• Like 3

Ah yes, I did not express myself with sufficient precision. If one is in Cleethorpes, and one heads East, one will eventually fall off. Not very far to fall though. Awfully flat, Cleethorpes.

Yes, but you'll get stuck up to your neck in Humber mud before you do !

Allan

Hello Gilbert,

May I Ask what the makeup (consist) was for the Kings Cross to Cleethorpes please. Maybe photos of that if possible.  

Thanks in advance

Keith

It's all very boring here, when compared to the startling things going on at SOSJ, but at least we do have a touch of the exotic East tonight. Yes folks, this is the 4.15pm off KX, and it is on its way to Cleethorpes. You can't get any further East than that without falling off.

attachicon.gifCleethorpes.JPG

attachicon.gifCleethorpes 2.JPG

• RMweb Gold

Today, for the first time in ages, I have played something which resembled golf, and on a difficult and very windy day. I am a trifle fatigued, so its photos and then bed. One of the first rules of model photography, never miss a chance to grab a shot of a D16.

attachicon.gif2613 2.JPG

and then we have a J50 running through from South yard and back to New England. One of the few times you will see that concrete post signal in the off position, well, not deliberately anyway.

attachicon.gifJ50.JPG

I'm trying to justify a J50 but they just didn't get as far as Sandy (as far as I know)

I have a D16 to build, although it is a way down the pile.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

How did Hornsey J50's get to and from Donny works, did they go the long way round?

Tony

I believe that all the London area small tanks travelled light engine on the main line on a Sunday, there being a specific path allocated in the WTT. There are pictures in Eric Sawford's excellent books.

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for posting the pics of Hadrian's Bar on the "Yorkshire" Pullman Gilbert, I knew I needed one! Maybe I can attach it at Wakey?Still, excellent lot of pics recently, Clauds, B1s and J50s, beautiful stuff, even the W1.

Hope the yoga stretching is helping. I have regular massages to help my back and shoulder, seem to last me around 3-4 weeks before things start locking up again.

Cheers

Tony

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for posting the pics of Hadrian's Bar on the "Yorkshire" Pullman Gilbert, I knew I needed one! Maybe I can attach it at Wakey?Still, excellent lot of pics recently, Clauds, B1s and J50s, beautiful stuff, even the W1.

Hope the yoga stretching is helping. I have regular massages to help my back and shoulder, seem to last me around 3-4 weeks before things start locking up again.

Cheers

Tony

The yoga does seem to be helping, and I'm also trying some natural pain killing/ anti inflammatories, on which I found some excellent reviews.  Fingers crossed, things do seem to be improving.

• RMweb Premium

Hello Gilbert,

May I Ask what the makeup (consist) was for the Kings Cross to Cleethorpes please. Maybe photos of that if possible.  

Thanks in advance

Keith

Hi Keith,

Formation of the 4.15 Down is mostly MK1,  3xSK* BSK*3xSK* then RB FO FK* BSK* The FO would be Gresley, but the real problem in modelling this formation correctly is the RB. irritatingly, I can't find the exact reference just now, but it was a unique vehicle. If my memory serves me correctly, I think it was a conversion of a Dia 27a third open, but it certainly isn't available in kit form, let alone RTR. I cheat with a Hornby Gresley RB at the moment. I can't get at the set to photograph it, I'm afraid, but it is fairly boring anyway, with six SKs and nine MK1s in total.

The other E.Lincs service, 6.45pm ex KX, creates a similar problem. Again it is nearly all MK1 stock, but contains an RKB, which again I believe was a one off vehicle. I use the same rake for both trains, by the way.

If anyone can give better details of the RB and RKB mentioned, I would be very much obliged.

About time for some pictures. The first one is possibly not the most flattering angle on an A2/3.

attachicon.gif523 1.JPG

I'd argue that it possibly is its best angle, Gilbert....  disguises the ludicrous cylinder positioning very well. 

(Best get the flack jacket on pronto, eh?)