Peterborough North

great northern

• RMweb Premium

Haven't seen that one before, Gilbert. Really different and superbly made.

How did the coal wagons empty into it ?

Allan

Shovel power, Allan. Wagons parked in front, and nothing but muscle to do the job.

I used to love the periods of nothing happening when I was trainspotting. Wandering along the platform, looking at the weeds, doing a sketch of the waiting shelter. Loads of anticipation, looking up the line. Was that a loco in the distance to the north - a deeper dot in the haze? Then the outline of a loco becoming clear, rocking a bit if it was going fast, then thundering through with 20 containers or 12 ore wagons behind, and then the silence descending again.

Photos of nothing happening are GOOD.

Alan

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

And so to the evening pictures. The Claud can now move out of the carriage siding, and stop at platform 2 to pick up passengers for East, Whittlesea and March.

post-98-0-82629100-1500842322_thumb.jpg

then a bit more nothing, though I'm starting to run short of it.

post-98-0-23695000-1500842420_thumb.jpg

Actually, that is quite a lot of nothing, if you see what I mean.

• Like 19

You say 'nothing', Gilbert but there was more of nothing than there was of engines and rolling stock. and I can remember staring at nothing for what seemed like hours on Sarsden Halt platform waiting for something to come along and take me to Chipping Norton where there was even more of nothing to stare at when waiting to come back. :resent:

Very important and very prototypical is more of nothing. Keep it coming please.

Allan

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

My visitor duly arrived, and produced my eagerly anticipated treat. I'd been looking for something rather different in the coach department, which might also have the added bonus of ridding me of one of the 'orrible Hornby Gresleys I've been stuck with. Discussions with Steve (31A on here) resulted in a very interesting project, though I suspect there were times when he may have called it by another name. So, here it is.

post-98-0-94537600-1500910876_thumb.jpg

post-98-0-63433000-1500910916_thumb.jpg

But, what exactly is it? Well, it started life as a GNR 58ft 6in 3rd open to Dia 9, but it was converted in 1933 into a buffet car as seen here. There were several of these conversions, involving three diagrams, but this one represents Dia 78V. The specifications are convoluted to say the least, but Steve figured it all out. This car was ECJS when built, and had a long life, not being withdrawn until October 1961.

It starts with RDEB sides, but turns into a semi scratchbuilding exercise as it goes along, Steve tells me. Any technical questions should be addressed to him, I just know that a great deal of time and effort has gone into it, for which I am very grateful. I don't think there will be many of these about, and so it gives me exactly what I'd hoped for, which was something really out of the ordinary. It has gone sraight into my York/Hull/Doncaster set, which means that it will be seen eight or nine times in each sequence, as it deserves to be.

There is quite a lot which cannot be seen in these images, notably a very detailed interior. I'll have to see if I can find a way of showing that detail, but for now the overall view is quite enough.

• Like 11

• RMweb Premium

Thank you Gilbert - you flatter me, but I'm glad you like it!  It was certainly interesting to build, and something a little different.  As Gilbert says, I'd be happy to answer any technical questions.

The specifications are convoluted to say the least, but Steve figured it all out. 

But takes no responsibility for any errors!  Although advice of same wold be constructively received.

• RMweb Premium

None at all I'm afraid Phil; I believe they might have been green?   :boast:

But always game for a laugh!

Sounds promising.........................especially the 'green' part!!

Maybe I should have a look in my unbuilt kit boxe(s) ?

Take care and I do hope that Woolwinder can make it to a meeting one day!

Phil

• RMweb Premium

Hello Great Northern

Those look great. Reading through the thread there seems to be a lot of contributors to this layout. Is it a group project?

Not really a group project, more a case of me commissioning very talented people do do things which I would either not be able to do at all, or to do them rather badly. Practical skills never were my best feature, and they haven't improved with advancing age and failing faculties. I want this layout to be the best it can be, so that rules me out for a lot of things. I suspect in any event that if I had been able to do the lot myself it wouldn't have been very far advanced by now!

One has to be pragmatic with these things. The buildings were an essential, and way beyond not just my abilities but those of all but a small minority of people, so this could never have been achieved without expert input.

• RMweb Gold

Not really a group project, more a case of me commissioning very talented people do do things which I would either not be able to do at all, or to do them rather badly. Practical skills never were my best feature, and they haven't improved with advancing age and failing faculties. I want this layout to be the best it can be, so that rules me out for a lot of things. I suspect in any event that if I had been able to do the lot myself it wouldn't have been very far advanced by now!

One has to be pragmatic with these things. The buildings were an essential, and way beyond not just my abilities but those of all but a small minority of people, so this could never have been achieved without expert input.

I think I'm the proof of that.... :scratchhead:

Actually if you look back over the thread you've achieved a lot Gilbert, and what always gets forgotten is the research that gets undertaken.  What you have is the result of a lifetimes modelling, and long may it continue. :good:

Thanks Great Northern

So you are kind of like the project manager or the producer of a film and you hire in the talent you need to achieve your vision? It's certainly a fabulous result however you are getting there.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Great Northern

So you are kind of like the project manager or the producer of a film and you hire in the talent you need to achieve your vision? It's certainly a fabulous result however you are getting there.

That sums it up pretty well. It was indeed my vision, and I do have the ability to visualise what I want, and what I think will look right. It needs someone without ten thumbs to turn it into reality though. My other input is the actual running of the thing, which involves quite a lot of research and planning, anything theoretical rather than practical, in fact.

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

It is nice sometimes just to record the movements which take place around the station area to get stock and locos into the right position, and so this morning concentrates on the setting up of the 5.25 to KX so that its passengers can board, and will have a loco to take them on their journey. The N5 has completed its part of the process, and the stock is at Platform 2 ready for passengers to get on board.

post-98-0-72115200-1500972992_thumb.jpg

a couple of minutes later the N5 is running back along the Down main before crossing over to get back to its resting place, while 60119 is seen backing onto the stock.

post-98-0-96334300-1500973120_thumb.jpg

This was a Doncaster duty, and is so rostered today. Railway Observer records that at least twice in August 1958 a Haymarket A4 was seen on this train, no doubt being gently run in from Top Shed  having had minor repairs after working the Elizabethan. This is not one of those days though, and it would certainly not have been had I been there.

• Like 18