Peterborough North

great northern

• RMweb Premium

Clive,

I also looked at the Railroad sleepers for cut and shut opportunities, particularly for the articulated twins. They’re hopelessly compromised as Hornby just seem to have squashed all the berths to get it into their standard body length. However I do intend to use a couple as donors with Mousa sides for a twin.

Andy

Hi Andy

The odd thing is the day coaches have standard sized compartments so are great for cutting and shutting as they also have the right profile. I have almost finished a non-gangway twin brake composite. I was even able to use the roofs as the length required for the 51 ft coaches is just inside the start of the dome ends.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Just a couple of photos to encourage you. The Gresley is cut and shut Kirk, and probably not up to your standards. The Thompson is Mousa sides which go together very well. I just wish Bill did the Thompson SLF as I’d love to add one of those to the stable. Anyone know of any source for one of those?

Regards

Andyattachicon.gif1ADF63F8-2754-49C6-925F-E830C40E8C0E.jpegattachicon.gifF9EC17DC-2F81-40F8-AD0F-12C3165FC1F6.jpeg

Those look very nice Andy. I'm particularly taken with the Gresley, a very striking and impressive coach. I shall have to speak to Mr 31A very nicely indeed.

• RMweb Premium

Ok, if this sleeper thing is to be pursued, I have a choice of two trains. One is the 7.30pm FO KX - Aberdeen, which had two SLSTP, shown as having 22 berths. I believe they were Thompsons to Dia 368. There was also one SLF, shown as 10 berths, and 35  tons weight. All the Gresley diagrams I can find are heavier than that.

The other is the 7.45 SX to Aberdeen and Elgin. Two 22 berth SLSTP again, plus two SLF shown as 43 tons weight and 10 berths. Again, I can't identify a diagram for that. Fridays only there were two SLS, but that puts the train up to 14 cars, and I can't find room for that kind of length, so it would be another weekday.

Any help in getting a correct identification would be most welcome.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Ok, if this sleeper thing is to be pursued, I have a choice of two trains. One is the 7.30pm FO KX - Aberdeen, which had two SLSTP, shown as having 22 berths. I believe they were Thompsons to Dia 368. There was also one SLF, shown as 10 berths, and 35  tons weight. All the Gresley diagrams I can find are heavier than that.

The other is the 7.45 SX to Aberdeen and Elgin. Two 22 berth SLSTP again, plus two SLF shown as 43 tons weight and 10 berths. Again, I can't identify a diagram for that. Fridays only there were two SLS, but that puts the train up to 14 cars, and I can't find room for that kind of length, so it would be another weekday.

Any help in getting a correct identification would be most welcome.

Gilbert,

I’m glad your coachaholic tendencies have been awakened! I agree about the d.368s. I think the 43 ton SLFs are Gresleys to d.157 (as mine above) or d.227 (which is much more difficult because it has even spacing of the windows for the berths unlike the Kirk donor). I don’t know about the 35ton car. I initially thought of the 61ft Gresley SLF (as per Hornby main range and Kirk) but that is 38 tons I believe.

I’m sure your detective abilities will track down the correct diagrams fairly quickly - happy researching!

Andy

• RMweb Premium

Gilbert,

I’m glad your coachaholic tendencies have been awakened! I agree about the d.368s. I think the 43 ton SLFs are Gresleys to d.157 (as mine above) or d.227 (which is much more difficult because it has even spacing of the windows for the berths unlike the Kirk donor). I don’t know about the 35ton car. I initially thought of the 61ft Gresley SLF (as per Hornby main range and Kirk) but that is 38 tons I believe.

I’m sure your detective abilities will track down the correct diagrams fairly quickly - happy researching!

Andy

One can never discount the possibility of a typo in the official records. I've already found a few, so I may be about to look for something that didn't exist. I shall have some fun trying though.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

That research didn't take long. I have gone through all the formations in the 1958 book, and there is no trace of any other SLF with ten berths and 35 tons weight. There are however plenty of SLS shown as 35 tons weight. They are to Dia 95 and 109, and Harris shows drawings which confirm that. It seems therefore that either this car in the 7.30 was a SLS, in which case there was no first class sleeping car in the formation, or that it was indeed an SLF, and some bored and tired clerk who was getting sick of doing all that typing lost concentration and typed the wrong weight.

I favour the latter explanation, but would be happy to stand corrected if anyone thinks I am wrong. Time for a cup of tea, after which theory will cease, and practical matters will take over.

• Like 1

It was jolly hot. I've strained my back. Enough said. Here is the 5.50 am KX- Grantham, which was recorded as hauled by 60067 on at least three days in summer of 58, so here it is.

attachicon.gif5 Ladas 1.JPG

Please observe the rail joint in the siding in the foreground. Immaculately straight? Yes, it is, but compare with what the camera alleges it is like in the photo of the 9F above. How does it do this?

The next view is one we haven't seen for a while.

attachicon.gif6 ladas 2.JPG

No photoshopping on this, by the way.

It's not the same joint, is it Gilbert? Count the cribs:

post-8688-0-13038900-1530010194_thumb.jpg

And there's no fishplates on that errant one...

Or am I missing something?

Cheers

Scott

Edited by jukebox

Please observe the rail joint in the siding in the foreground. Immaculately straight? Yes, it is, but compare with what the camera alleges it is like in the photo of the 9F above. How does it do this?

I'm not sure that's the same rail joint in both pictures.

Look at the relationship between the joint and the slot cut in the baseboard about six sleepers back between this track and the next one.

Now go back and look at the previous photo. The slot isn't six sleepers back -- it's under the tender, about a whole locomotive length further back.

It's not the slot that moved, it's the joint. In fact, if you look closely, you can see the perfect joint about level with the front of the tender.

Here's a couple of annotated pictures to show what I mean:

post-7608-0-72978100-1530009421_thumb.jpg

post-7608-0-53264100-1530009431_thumb.jpg

At least ... I think that's the previous photo you were talking about. I apologise if I've got the wrong "previous photo".

• RMweb Premium

I'm not sure that's the same rail joint in both pictures.

Look at the relationship between the joint and the slot cut in the baseboard about six sleepers back between this track and the next one.

Now go back and look at the previous photo. The slot isn't six sleepers back -- it's under the tender, about a whole locomotive length further back.

It's not the slot that moved, it's the joint. In fact, if you look closely, you can see the perfect joint about level with the front of the tender.

Here's a couple of annotated pictures to show what I mean:

attachicon.gifpost-98-0-44299700-1529916186.jpg

attachicon.gifpost-98-0-99010600-1529960984.jpg

At least ... I think that's the previous photo you were talking about. I apologise if I've got the wrong "previous photo".

Seniormomentitis. I asked the doctor about it, but apparently it is incurable. That said, when I went and looked at the other joint again it stiill didn't look like the camera alleges it does. Perhaps my camera used to belong to POTUS, and learned a lot from him.