Peterborough North

great northern

A couple of detail shots next. The first is from the hotel garden, which is in the middle of a refurbishment.

attachicon.gif20 from garden.JPG

I think it is now three years that i have been telling myself to get on with finishing this area. We also have a well to do looking gent heading for the main entrance.

attachicon.gif21 entrance.JPG

Hi Gilbert

Greeting from sunny Spain, but not quite as hot as the UK at the moment.

Great photos and a nice touch to see other areas of your wonderful layout, really nice detailing to the buildings as well.

Please keep the photos coming.

Regards

David

I've had a long day today, so it is a brief visit, and just a couple more of the general views. The hotel first.

attachicon.gif23 hotel.JPG

and a look along part of the fiddle yard.

attachicon.gif24 FY.JPG

The small white numbers are for route setting purposes.

Those close up shots of the buildings really do highlight the quality of the structures on Peterborough North, its rare to be able to take such fine detail shots without exposing minor flaws and in these examples I just can't see imperfections at all, perfect!

• RMweb Premium

Those close up shots of the buildings really do highlight the quality of the structures on Peterborough North, its rare to be able to take such fine detail shots without exposing minor flaws and in these examples I just can't see imperfections at all, perfect!

Yes, it really is a testament to Peter's craftsmanship.

Wasn't the tarpaulin works somewhere here? I've no idea how this shed worked either, but let's try this?

The shed has open lower sides. Surely it would have been built in the period of the 'Oss rather than the Austin? So maybe a flat horse drawn trailer might back under the sides? (Mind you I've never seen a flat horse.....). And judging by your wagons that is about the right height for a van or open wagon floor? Also somewhere dry to load opens and use those tarpaulins.

What do I know? Just a suggestion, wait for the comments!

Stewart

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Wasn't the tarpaulin works somewhere here? I've no idea how this shed worked either, but let's try this?

The shed has open lower sides. Surely it would have been built in the period of the 'Oss rather than the Austin? So maybe a flat horse drawn trailer might back under the sides? (Mind you I've never seen a flat horse.....). And judging by your wagons that is about the right height for a van or open wagon floor? Also somewhere dry to load opens and use those tarpaulins.

What do I know? Just a suggestion, wait for the comments!

Stewart

They were, or are, as I believe they still exist, further down towards the river, Stewart.  The whole thing is still a puzzle, unless it really was as simple as providing some cover for people shifting stuff from one wagon to another. But if that was the case, what would all the other people who had to work in the open in all weathers have had to say about it? Good grounds for industrial action, surely?

• RMweb Gold

To me a transhjp shed means taking the contents of one wagon and loading them to another - say for example if a wagon was crippled or was not allowed off Company or id wagon loads were being broken down into different vehicles serving local stations..  But with vehicles like vans and opens I would expect the shed to have a deck (platform) at wagon floor level to enable the work to be done easily and of course the roof is there to prevent weather damage while there is no need to take teh walls down to ground level as there is no need for security as traffic would not be stored in the building.

• RMweb Premium

To me a transhjp shed means taking the contents of one wagon and loading them to another - say for example if a wagon was crippled or was not allowed off Company or id wagon loads were being broken down into different vehicles serving local stations..  But with vehicles like vans and opens I would expect the shed to have a deck (platform) at wagon floor level to enable the work to be done easily and of course the roof is there to prevent weather damage while there is no need to take teh walls down to ground level as there is no need for security as traffic would not be stored in the building.

Mike to the rescue again! That does seem to sort the whole thing. It was the lack of a platform that threw me, but photos of this are very rare, and we have nothing at all showing the side away from the railway, which, looking at things logically, is where a deck would have been. I shall assume that it is hidden in the shadows or behind vans on the prototype images, and put one in, which shouldn't be too difficult.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Well, Gilbert, the new transship shed really has added yet another new dimension to the excellent layout of Peterborough North. The internal deck will be it’s finishing touch. The layout is certainly longer and it will be even more delightful to work now that Crescent Bridge is no longer the ‘boundary’ at that end of the layout. Getting the other extension with the two sidings on it completed with ballasting, etc, will surely leave little to do except basic maintenance, and, of course, the running of all those lovely trains themselves.

You have accomplished so much with this remarkable layout, and I heartily congratulate you, and all of your helpers.

With best regards,

Rob.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Well, Gilbert, the new transship shed really has added yet another new dimension to the excellent layout of Peterborough North. The internal deck will be it’s finishing touch. The layout is certainly longer and it will be even more delightful to work now that Crescent Bridge is no longer the ‘boundary’ at that end of the layout. Getting the other extension with the two sidings on it completed with ballasting, etc, will surely leave little to do except basic maintenance, and, of course, the running of all those lovely trains themselves.

You have accomplished so much with this remarkable layout, and I heartily congratulate you, and all of your helpers.

With best regards,

Rob.

Thank you for those kind words Rob. I don't share your confidence as to the future though. In twelve days time we shall reach the eighth anniversary of this thread, and the start of the layout. I then had very positive ideas as to what was going to be done, and even four years ago I recall thinking that there was little more to do. Will it ever be finished? I'm not sure it will, or that I would be entirely comfortable if it was.

I may run out of places to which the layout can be extended, though I thought I'd done that a good while back, but there's a lot of lovely rolling stock that I don't have yet!

• Like 3

As Lord Faringdon progresses a little further, it meets up with the Immingham B1.

attachicon.gif10 34 and 1190.JPG

and shortly afterwards, is seen emerging into daylight again.

attachicon.gif11 34 3.JPG

Hi Gilbert

I know I have said this before but that is a lovely typical Top Shed finish to 60034.

Two very nice photos of her or should I say him as well.

Regards

David

For anyone who has been worrying that they've missed a possible cop at the head of that train coming in from Spital Bridge, don't worry, it's only Dominion of Canada on the 7.33 Up Nottingham.

attachicon.gif3 10 2.JPG

Coming the other way though is something much rarer. Doncaster has used this ex works Haymarket engine for a run up to London on a relief to the 8.00 from Leeds/ Bradford.

attachicon.gif1 90 1.JPG

Grand Parade is in the form I most liked the A3s - double chimney and no smoke deflectors (and a GNR style tender to remind us of its provenance) - excellent. 

Chaz

Hi Gilbert

I know I have said this before but that is a lovely typical Top Shed finish to 60034.

Two very nice photos of her or should I say him as well.

Regards

David

What a shame the loco lost its "Peregrine" nameplates. Thank goodness numbers 25 and 27 kept their original birds of prey names (and were often as clean and shiny as your model of 34).

Chaz 

The camera will continue to follow Grand Parade, and why not, as it is such a lovely sight.

attachicon.gif2 90 2.JPG

The grain wagons come up trumps here, as thay allowed me to get closer than I've managed before to the angle at which so many Down trains were captured back in the day.

It is a strange fact that in some photo shoots everything leaves me a bit unsatisfied, whereas in others it all comes off. This session looks like another of the latter sort, as the next one finally nails another scene I've been trying to get right for ages.

attachicon.gif4 90 3 alt.JPG

It's the stock behind that knits the whole thing together again. Look at the contrast in Gresleys again though.

The brake third looks fine, but what's happened to the tumblehome on the next two?