Peterborough North

great northern

• RMweb Premium
38 minutes ago, jwealleans said:

Has the fireman of that N5 got ideas a bit above his station?  Express lamps for a banker seems a bit excessive.

Hi Jonathan

Are you sure it isn't one red lamp and one white as befits locomotives employed as station pilots?

• Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, jwealleans said:

Only if the red lens has fallen out.  I did look quite carefully.

I've been up and checked Jonathan, and the red lens is there. The problem is that it has slightly twisted on the lamp iron, and so is not quite visible at the angle at which this photo was taken. Despite these Modelu brilliants being vanishingly, literally, small, I have taken care to see that they are correct on both of the pilots.

• Like 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, ikks said:

Yes it reminds me of a photo in a book I have of a Coronation Pacific being piloted by a 2P 4-4-0 about to head North out from Crewe........whoever wrote the caption reckoned the Pacific would be pushing the 2P as well as hauling the train before too long.

Rgds.........Mike(Wonderful modelling by the way)

It was the same all over, I think. I've read similar comments about ancient GN D1 4.4.0's, which allegedly "helped" Pacifics on expresses between Newcastle and Edinburgh. Many thanks for the kind comment.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
59 minutes ago, jwealleans said:

Looking back on the photos I can see what it's done now.  You've done well not to lose it.  They're a to fit, those little jewels.... I usually lose one in each 5 I try to do.

Thanks Jonathan. Only one in five though?:O I can do much better than that.

• Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, great northern said:

The N5 kindly agreed to pose at an angle which shows that it meets all official requirements to satisfy its job description. The lamp was less co-operative, and refused to budge.1162664712_N5lamps.JPG.499e99db8ba56d20420fbdf02628a275.JPG

Oops! I blame the track (I always do...).

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
11 minutes ago, Richard E said:

But, but, but - the N5 is not on the track, the trailing wheel set is a scale 9" or so to one side of where it should be.

But I wasn't bovvered, you see. The photo was just to show the nearside lamp is red, so I just plonked the loco down in the fiddle yard.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

In the white lamp on the right of the N5, there is a little creature inside giving us all a lovely smile. That is so cute isn't it hun.

(It is OK I have told myself to #### ### and get my Gilet and Beret.)

Ar$£ B. Andit

Edited by Mallard60022
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
15 minutes ago, great northern said:

I still can't work out how to caption pictures separately, so the second one must speak for itself.

I find the easiest way is to enter the text and leave a blank line where the pictures go, then go back and add the pictures after. Seems simpler that way.

Rich

• Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
28 minutes ago, Mallard60022 said:

In the white lamp on the right of the N5, there is a little creature inside giving us all a lovely smile. That is so cute isn't it hun.

(It is OK I have told myself to #### ### and get my Gilet and Beret.)

Ar$£ B. Andit

So that's where the gremlin has been hiding? I could exterminate it, but no doubt it has brothers and sisters, so nothing would be gained.

• Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
23 minutes ago, MarshLane said:

I find the easiest way is to enter the text and leave a blank line where the pictures go, then go back and add the pictures after. Seems simpler that way.

Rich

That's pretty much what I do except that I add some sort of placeholder e.g. [1] so that I know which photo has to go where.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, Gilbert. Sorry for a sudden rush of Likes, but I am having such trouble with this upgraded site. I can’t post photos properly at all at the moment for I have no idea how to caption them anymore at the moment.

Anyway, your photo’s are as good as ever despite that, and I hope you can continue to post more.

Best regards,

Rob.

• Friendly/supportive 1

I prefer Edwardian and Victorian loco design and am not a fan of 4-6-0s let alone 4-6-2s but there is something bluff, workmanlike and no-nonsense about B17s and B12s that does appeal. Serious engines that don't muck about with any frills.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, Martin S-C said:

I prefer Edwardian and Victorian loco design and am not a fan of 4-6-0s let alone 4-6-2s but there is something bluff, workmanlike and no-nonsense about B17s and B12s that does appeal. Serious engines that don't muck about with any frills.

Almost as handsome as King Arthurs...………………………………………:wubclear:

• Funny 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1