Peterborough North

great northern

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, Mallard60022 said:

Almost as handsome as King Arthurs...………………………………………:wubclear:

Be off with your SR kettley things, we all know the best 4-6-0 was GT3.

I am quite surprised the G*R gang haven't pipped up with their Saint/Star/Castle/Hall/King/Grange/Manor/County class loco.

• Funny 3

• RMweb Premium
54 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Be off with your SR kettley things, we all know the best 4-6-0 was GT3.

I am quite surprised the G*R gang haven't pipped up with their Saint/Star/Castle/Hall/King/Grange/Manor/County class loco.

Ah, the King was too heavy to be a useful all round engine due to the inevitable route restrictions. You missed out the 'Baby Castle' in that list, the Collett 0-6-0 which was an engine that performed way beyond expectations. And then we can get into discussion of spam cans and some of the rather nice Midland stuff that was about.

Still let's not open that argument on this thread which really should concentrate on a lovely model of ECML practices in the 1950's.

• Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Richard E said:

Ah, the King was too heavy to be a useful all round engine due to the inevitable route restrictions. You missed out the 'Baby Castle' in that list, the Collett 0-6-0 which was an engine that performed way beyond expectations. And then we can get into discussion of spam cans and some of the rather nice Midland stuff that was about.

Still let's not open that argument on this thread which really should concentrate on a lovely model of ECML practices in the 1950's.

Nah, but many thanks for your kind suggestion. One of the best things about this thread are the arguments that happen every day. I've been banished many times so far for mentioning that a King Arthur is a 4.6.0. and is easily as handsome as a B17 and far better looking than a B1 and that all 0.6.0s are not to be discussed unless they are a Terrier or the stunningly handsome USA. I've even been issued with a restraining order so that Gilbert can rest easy that I will not be stalking him on the Golf Course.

Ether Mask

• Like 1
  • Funny 2

21 minutes ago, Mallard60022 said:

Nah, but many thanks for your kind suggestion. One of the best things about this thread are the arguments that happen every day. I've been banished many times so far for mentioning that a King Arthur is a 4.6.0. and is easily as handsome as a B17 and far better looking than a B1 and that all 0.6.0s are not to be discussed unless they are a Terrier or the stunningly handsome USA. I've even been issued with a restraining order so that Gilbert can rest easy that I will not be stalking him on the Golf Course.

Ether Mask

I never thought his Duckness would spout such heresy in this hallowed ground!

As any fule kno' the B17 was the most handsome and best proportioned 4-6-0 ever built, while Mr. Urie clearly respected the works of the LNER, it wasn't;t until a properly Doncaster trailed CE took over that the Southern produced anything truly original.

...gets hat and coat and leaves rapidly...

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
43 minutes ago, Mallard60022 said:

Ether Mask

Ah, Terrier, now the GWR had at least one of those courtesy of the WC&P ....

Edited by Richard E
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, great northern said:

While we weren't looking the Claud sneaked down to the bay, and is now off down to East. The crew have avoided a possible headache, as an increasing roar from the North heralds the arrival of Deltic, which will come to a stop right next to where their engine was standing until a few moments ago.

Gilbert,

Just to say a quick note on how much I enjoy your photos and the thread. As somebody who was born in 1978, I did not see the Deltic's in action, let alone the Gresley Pacifics, but yet that's one big area where by interest lies, so watching your thread develop and on the ongoing picture story, really gives a taste of ECML action to someone who never saw it.

I also admire how you give attention to the carriage formations.  To many people working signalling and accurate stock seems to be one step too far, but in my mind, its just as important as left hand running, or not putting a 'King' on a set of four-wheeled coaches!  Hoping to finally get my O gauge layout off the ground this year, the Hatton's A3 and A4 releases having provided some impetus!

Keep up the good work.

Rich

• Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Thanks 1

Trying to stay OT and desperately referencing one of Kevin's photos above, and while we're on the subject of handsome engines, as far as 4-4-0s go the D16 is a nice looking piece of machinery in my view, especially with those small tenders. Victorian engines of course were far more stylish all round but the 4-4-0 is such a classic design that you could put almost anything on top of that wheel arrangement and it'd look just dandy.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, bigwordsmith said:

I never thought his Duckness would spout such heresy in this hallowed ground!

As any fule kno' the B17 was the most handsome and best proportioned 4-6-0 ever built, while Mr. Urie clearly respected the works of the LNER, it wasn't;t until a properly Doncaster trailed CE took over that the Southern produced anything truly original.

...gets hat and coat and leaves rapidly...

Monsewer Smiffy,

The Arthurs were built 3 years before the B17s and so the latter were obviously a fair copy, including the lovely, large wheels, but without the beautiful tender behind.

Yours imaginatively,

K. Nackers

Edited by Mallard60022
Flatulence caused typing errors.

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Martin S-C said:

Trying to stay OT and desperately referencing one of Kevin's photos above, and while we're on the subject of handsome engines, as far as 4-4-0s go the D16 is a nice looking piece of machinery in my view, especially with those small tenders. Victorian engines of course were far more stylish all round but the 4-4-0 is such a classic design that you could put almost anything on top of that wheel arrangement and it'd look just dandy.

Ah, the D16; a clever copy of the graceful and exceedingly admirable T9.

I thank you.

H. Arrumph

• Funny 2

24 minutes ago, Mallard60022 said:

Monsewer Smiffy,

The Arthurs were built 3 years before the B17s and so the latter were obviously a fair copy, including the lovely, large wheels, but without the beautiful tender behind.

Yours imaginatively,

K. Nackers

I wholeheartedly agree that the Arthur tender was a most  elegant bit of kit, but love of things Gresley is as much an article of faith as belief in Brexit or Climate Change

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium

This is, of course, a thread which is all encompassing, and yet at the same time diverse. Some recent posts though  make me feel that those of us of the true faith should remember to show compassion and understanding of those without, who have, through no fault of their own, never trodden the path of righteousness.

Our favourite duck, for example, what chance did he have.  A mere fledgling in those golden days of yore, he was marooned in a strange land of tin cans and "arfurs", as his wings were not yet strong enough to carry him to the hallowed ground of the Great Northern and the Great Eastern. Why, he probably thought that within the myriads of cans there was one called Fray Bentos.

And those benighted souls in the West, how could they know that there were other locomotives in the world besides 57 varieties of Pannier?

We should realise that it is remarkable in the circumstances how well all of them have actually turned out.

Here endeth the lesson.

• Like 5
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, Mallard60022 said:

Monsewer Smiffy,

Yours imaginatively,

K. Nackers

You could finish up wuth a tender behind if you carry on like this.:aggressive::jester:

• Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
20 minutes ago, great northern said:

This is, of course, a thread which is all encompassing, and yet at the same time diverse. Some recent posts though  make me feel that those of us of the true faith should remember to show compassion and understanding of those without, who have, through no fault of their own, never trodden the path of righteousness.

Our favourite duck, for example, what chance did he have.  A mere fledgling in those golden days of yore, he was marooned in a strange land of tin cans and "arfurs", as his wings were not yet strong enough to carry him to the hallowed ground of the Great Northern and the Great Eastern. Why, he probably thought that within the myriads of cans there was one called Fray Bentos.

And those benighted souls in the West, how could they know that there were other locomotives in the world besides 57 varieties of Pannier?

We should realise that it is remarkable in the circumstances how well all of them have actually turned out.

Here endeth the lesson.

Hello Gilbert

I think we are all lucky that the Duck didn't get fooled by the other railway in Plymouth.

Now had you not gone over to the darkside and remained without the extra "C" I could have visited you and, with your permission, we could have run Peterborough North just before it was rebuilt with lovely Great Northern and Great Eastern lines based  Brush 4s, Type 2s, Peaks, 2000s and of course a Deltic or seven. Not forgetting some DMUs. While on the subject of DMUs I ran my unfinished Hornby 110 conversion to a 114 with my recently motored MTK 114, giving the passengers on the 3.23 to Doncaster extra seating as normally it is a pair of Cravens units.

• Like 4

46 minutes ago, great northern said:

One could argue that after 57 varieties of Pannier you don't actually need anything else. If you do, you just string a bunch of them together like sausages and away you go.

4x9400.jpg.8d6efb8bbd561088f73e3c6d17c6bcc3.jpg

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Funny 9

10 hours ago, great northern said:

Here endeth the lesson.

Amen to that!

In fairness to his Duckness, some of us were born into the atmosphere of LNER - my father was a died oil the wool fan of HNG, and the house where I spent my first five years backed on to the ECML at Joppa, opposite the old Joppa Station and backing onto the laundry and goods yard.

With such an early infusion, how could I have been brought up in any other than the true faith?

Although in later years I have found my views have become more tolerant of other paths to goodness - why I even have a couple of Diesel Hydraulics in my collection, even tough I struggle to find any historical evidence of them having ever strayed as far as the Holy Land.

Despite this, I could never quite come to embrace the general sameness of Swindon products

• Like 5
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
41 minutes ago, bigwordsmith said:

Amen to that!

In fairness to his Duckness, some of us were born into the atmosphere of LNER - my father was a died oil the wool fan of HNG, and the house where I spent my first five years backed on to the ECML at Joppa, opposite the old Joppa Station and backing onto the laundry and goods yard.

With such an early infusion, how could I have been brought up in any other than the true faith?

Although in later years I have found my views have become more tolerant of other paths to goodness - why I even have a couple of Diesel Hydraulics in my collection, even tough I struggle to find any historical evidence of them having ever strayed as far as the Holy Land.

Despite this, I could never quite come to embrace the general sameness of Swindon products

That's really interesting and I have always wondered if early experiences really do have such influences. My late dad used to be a dance band leader in Plymouth and was therefore free mostly during the day when I were in my pram ('48 - 49/50). We lived just off Victoria park in Devonport/Stoke and he used to walk me up to Devonport Junction and sit me on the wall to watch the trains. Must have been just post nationalisation stuff on the WR and SR. Also his parents lived in Consett and so there would have been at least one return trip to Newcastle almost every year until 1962. I have no memories of this (sadly) except the 60/61 1nd 62 trips (Miles Beevor at the stops at the Cross on return 1962), but ten years later I went to Devonport High School that was just across the road from Devonport Kings Road Station and yard and the trainspotting club at school sealed the deal; school trip to Top Shed and Stratford in 1960 followed by Ben Hur at the Cinema before sleeping all the way home! Then there were three halcyon years at 83D before the dreaded steam exclusion began and women became ' interesting'. That was the beginning of the end and I had few funds to allow chasing steam adventures, up country.

Happy days and as you all know, whatever the steam loco I love them, even Thompson Pacifics and daft things like SR Zs!

Long live any MR that depicts steam as I knew it. Hurrah!

Duck

Edited by Mallard60022
To be bolder.
  • Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
7 minutes ago, CUTLER2579 said:

Gilbert,

I must confess that your gospel has redirected me to the path of righteousness as I had the believe that the Duck was was not only miss guided, but a bit of a Dipstick :laugh_mini:

Well my friend, at least a dipstick can be removed from the sludgy mess that lurks at the bottom of the sump!

D. Oilycart

• Funny 4

• RMweb Premium

This new stalking lark has thrown up something excellent. Captain A. Cuthbertson RN (Retd.)  C/O HMS Kernow  has sent me some fan mail and that is such a kind gesture as it isn't about panniers. What a pleasant surprise and I must proffer my thanks and kindest regards. 

Avast B. Hind

8 minutes ago, Mallard60022 said:

That's really interesting and I have always wondered if early experiences really do have such influences. My late dad used to be a dance band leader in Plymouth and was therefore free mostly during the day when I were in my pram ('48 - 49/50). We lived just off Victoria park in Devonport/Stoke and he used to walk me up to Devonport Junction and sit me on the wall to watch the trains. Must have been just post nationalisation stuff on the WR and SR. Also his parents lived in Consett and so there would have been at least one return trip to Newcastle almost every year until 1962. I have no memories of this (sadly) except the 60/61 1nd 62 trips (Miles Beevor at the stops at the Cross on return 1962), but ten years later I went to Devonport High School that was just across the road from Devonport Kings Road Station and yard and the trainspotting club at school sealed the deal; school trip to Top Shed and Stratford in 1960 followed by Ben Hur at the Cinema before sleeping all the way home! Then there were three halcyon years at 83D before the dreaded steam exclusion began and women became ' interesting'. That was the beginning of the end and I had few funds to allow chasing steam adventures, up country.

Happy days and as you all know, whatever the steam loco I love them, even Thompson Pacifics and daft things like SR Zs!

Long live any MR that depicts steam as I knew it. Hurrah!

Duck

The odd thing is that we're all pretty sensible folks (most of the time) who have, or have had, responsible jobs, yet we find some inner pleasure in recreating a lost world using plastic, brass, powders and paint, plus any other materials that come to hand, and each in our own way are effectively artists.

Friends who are not in the brotherhood sometimes ask me why I find it so engaging. If I'm honest I struggle to explain. Although I have always had an interest in, and some modest knowledge about, the Big Railway, I cannot explain why it is deeply satisfying to see all the engineering, carpentry, electrics ad modelling actually work. 

Equally I have friends who think I'm nuts to ride around on a 1200cc motorbike "Oh that's way too dangerous, for me," they say, but they'll ever enjoy the thrill of being able to ride in the cracks between the cars and getting safely and quickly from A-to-B, while displaying a skill that really does lie beyond most folks.

At the end of the day, as Phil effectively points out, whether a rebuilt West Country was a 'better' loco than a Peppercorn A1 is something enthusiasts will debate 'til the cows eventually return to their byre, but in reality it makes very little real difference.

What I have noticed with both modelling and biking is a meeting of kindred spirits, a sharing of pleasure at the success of colleagues, and a desire to share one's own experiences and wisdom for the benefit of others.

Maybe that's the reason?

Forgive me for getting all phllersoffical - I'm getting over acute bronchitis and still not quite thinking straight!

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium
31 minutes ago, bigwordsmith said:

The odd thing is that we're all pretty sensible folks (most of the time) who have, or have had, responsible jobs, yet we find some inner pleasure in recreating a lost world using plastic, brass, powders and paint, plus any other materials that come to hand, and each in our own way are effectively artists.

Friends who are not in the brotherhood sometimes ask me why I find it so engaging. If I'm honest I struggle to explain. Although I have always had an interest in, and some modest knowledge about, the Big Railway, I cannot explain why it is deeply satisfying to see all the engineering, carpentry, electrics ad modelling actually work. 

Equally I have friends who think I'm nuts to ride around on a 1200cc motorbike "Oh that's way too dangerous, for me," they say, but they'll ever enjoy the thrill of being able to ride in the cracks between the cars and getting safely and quickly from A-to-B, while displaying a skill that really does lie beyond most folks.

At the end of the day, as Phil effectively points out, whether a rebuilt West Country was a 'better' loco than a Peppercorn A1 is something enthusiasts will debate 'til the cows eventually return to their byre, but in reality it makes very little real difference.

What I have noticed with both modelling and biking is a meeting of kindred spirits, a sharing of pleasure at the success of colleagues, and a desire to share one's own experiences and wisdom for the benefit of others.

Maybe that's the reason?

Forgive me for getting all phllersoffical - I'm getting over acute bronchitis and still not quite thinking straight!

In a nutshell as they say in The isle of Man.

P

• Agree 1