Warley at Statfold 12th & 13th October 2024

Chris M

• RMweb Gold

See you there as another ( not quite as ) local. One attraction of Statfold for me is the Burton & Ashby Light Railway tramcar which is an active resident there & will be hosting rides. My house is built on top of what was originally a cutting carrying its tracks.It’s now a busy main road.

I have to agree with you about GETS . Apart from the hassle of finding my way off the M1 ( a rail strike day )

I found the event far too cramped and crowded for my comfort.

One thing perhaps should be emphasised and that is Tamworth’s accessibility by rail from all four corners of the UK. The WCML is served by an hourly LNWR Euston-Crewe service and XC services from anywhere between West,North East & Scotland. Complementary vintage bus from station to Statfold which is in a blissfully quiet countryside 

40 minutes ago, 2ManySpams said:

I personally don't see the clash with GETS as an issue. I've been once and don't think I'd bother going again. I can play the sardine game on my train trips to and from Birmingham or on the London Underground. 

The two events seem completely different and I think will attract different audiences. The Statfold event is certainly in my diary. I just hope they start beefing up the capacity of the catering to cope with the visitor numbers. 

Being only 5 miles down the road I'd happily offer my cameo layout for a show in 2025.

SWAG22-Polsarrett(23).JPG.bd901d7cf0d31c96c3f084fd6841b4bb.JPG

1792052305_SWAG22-Pensarrett(25)(Copy).JPG.45d4c6b4acc73e5ea99b7b529dce48bf.jpeg.6e86009ab27026aebe8be451a6503fbf.jpeg

SWAG22-Polsarrett(31).JPG.c85a9de24367ae92cbdee999b0a88259.JPG

Photos courtesy of Jamie of this parish.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, 2ManySpams said:

I personally don't see the clash with GETS as an issue. I've been once and don't think I'd bother going again. I can play the sardine game on my train trips to and from Birmingham or on the London Underground. 

The two events seem completely different and I think will attract different audiences. The Statfold event is certainly in my diary. I just hope they start beefing up the capacity of the catering to cope with the visitor numbers. 

Being only 5 miles down the road I'd happily offer my cameo layout for a show in 2025.

SWAG22-Polsarrett(23).JPG.bd901d7cf0d31c96c3f084fd6841b4bb.JPG

1792052305_SWAG22-Pensarrett(25)(Copy).JPG.45d4c6b4acc73e5ea99b7b529dce48bf.jpeg.6e86009ab27026aebe8be451a6503fbf.jpeg

SWAG22-Polsarrett(31).JPG.c85a9de24367ae92cbdee999b0a88259.JPG

Photos courtesy of Jamie of this parish.

Great modelling. I will pass the photos over to the layout team.

18 hours ago, mike morley said:

I've been to GETS three times and have always walked (I can see the football stadium from the end of the road) but the desire for quality means this year I'll be going to Warley @ Statfold.

Has the layout list been announced ?  as well as traders attending !!! 

Just wondering how that the assumption of better quality can be made at this point 

Regards Arran

Edited by arran

7 minutes ago, arran said:

Has the layout list been announced ?  as well as traders attending !!! 

Just wondering how that the assumption of better quality can be made at this point 

Regards Arran

Well I've consistently regarded the Warley teams choices for models at exhibitions over KeyModelWorld and I trust they will be applying the usual rigor they have in the past.  Nothing wrong with Key Model World's exhibitions but I prefer the types of models chosen by Warley.

Of course you are factually correct that you cannot make the final choice until you have two lists of exhibits, but I can be sure one will be a crush .  Also no need to make a definitive decision which to attend until Autumn really.

Edited by woodenhead
  • Like 2

30 minutes ago, woodenhead said:

Well I've consistently regarded the Warley teams choices for models at exhibitions over KeyModelWorld and I trust they will be applying the usual rigor they have in the past.  Nothing wrong with Key Model World's exhibitions but I prefer the types of models chosen by Warley.

Of course you are factually correct that you cannot make the final choice until you have two lists of exhibits, but I can be sure one will be a crush .  Also no need to make a definitive decision which to attend until Autumn really.

https://www.statfold.com/events

I wonder what else is on in October to Force the dates selected ?

• RMweb Gold

This sounds great. Perhaps a return to grass roots in a way, but with the added advantage of having years experience of having run the glitzy NEC show. Statfold Barn’s a great venue too. Can’t wait!

20 hours ago, mike morley said:

I've been to GETS three times and have always walked (I can see the football stadium from the end of the road) but the desire for quality means this year I'll be going to Warley @ Statfold.

As a long term member of Warley club and therefore likely to be biased in favour of Warley I have to say that I always thought the layouts at GETS were good quality. I rate GETS as a very good show.

I'm told that, in order to avoid any overcrowding, there will be a limit to the number of tickets available each day for Warley at Statfold. No doubt more details will emerge later on this.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

30 minutes ago, Chris M said:

As a long term member of Warley club and therefore likely to be biased in favour of Warley I have to say that I always thought the layouts at GETS were good quality. I rate GETS as a very good show.

I'm told that, in order to avoid any overcrowding, there will be a limit to the number of tickets available each day for Warley at Statfold. No doubt more details will emerge later on this.

Playing games and now found out !!!!

I think people should declare and interest  in subjects like this 

Regards Arran

3 minutes ago, arran said:

Regards Arran

Would you like to elaborate and perhaps declare what your interest is with it?

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Just a reminder that two weeks before the Statfold Exhibition and GETS is Stafford Railway Exhibition over the weekend of 28th & 29th September with 50 quality layouts booked and around the same number of traders both big & small and of course free car parking for over 2500 vehicles and complimentary preserved bus service on both the Saturday & Sunday 

I also will be going to Warley/Statfold exhibition and I agree it's a excellent venue and wish it well.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

8 minutes ago, arran said:

Regards Arran

? Sorry I don’t understand this. If it’s referring to me I have mentioned that I am a member of Warley club many times over a many years in various threads. 

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, Chris M said:

? Sorry I don’t understand this. If it’s referring to me I have mentioned that I am a member of Warley club many times over a many years in various threads. 

Not You. But who you called out for being a club member talking up their new exhibition 

4 minutes ago, ELTEL said:

Just a reminder that two weeks before the Statfold Exhibition and GETS is Stafford Railway Exhibition over the weekend of 28th & 29th September with 50 quality layouts booked and around the same number of traders both big & small and of course free car parking for over 2500 vehicles and complimentary preserved bus service on both the Saturday & Sunday 

I also will be going to Warley/Statfold exhibition and I agree it's a excellent venue and wish it well.

And I’m sure members of Warley club will be Stafford either helping or as paying visitors. Stafford exhibition is quite probably the biggest club run event in the country and always well worth a visit.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• Moderators
25 minutes ago, arran said:

No-one has been playing games, please stop stirring Arran.

• Agree 1

4 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

No-one has been playing games, please stop stirring Arran.

Hold on a bit !!!!  so said person says the quality of the yet to be agreed attendees at the show will be better quality than GETS and is a member of that club ?  

What form of words would you use then ? but its not being open is it .

• RMweb Gold

As much as I would love to continue to support Warley MRC through their exhibition, the chosen date this yearclashes with the unmissable Furness Model Railway Club exhibition.  So, as the "dragons" say, I'm out!

Now, the previous weekend is the former Wigan show weekend and largely free from clashes IFAIK.

11 minutes ago, Phatbob said:

As much as I would love to continue to support Warley MRC through their exhibition, the chosen date this yearclashes with the unmissable Furness Model Railway Club exhibition.  So, as the "dragons" say, I'm out!

Now, the previous weekend is the former Wigan show weekend and largely free from clashes IFAIK.

And there is  the Wakefield Model Railway Show as well

• Moderators
39 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

That's not the way his words read to me.

24 minutes ago, mike morley said:

It was me, not Chris M, who said I expected the quality of layouts to be better at Statfold and I am NOT a member of Warley club.

@arran over to you.

Sadly, this clashes with Uckfield which I am committed to (and looking forward to!). I very much hope this isn't a one-off, and I would very much like to come next year!