Sink hole at Grange-over-Sands 22/03/2024

• RMweb Gold

Insider information suggests known faulty drainage connected with a golf course, the golf were supposedly liable for the drainage but no doubt more information will come to light.

195104 (leading) and 195133 were involved and 104 has sustained a lot of damage.

Line likely to be shut for a while.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 5
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

Meanwhile Sellafield is cut off North and South. I've not had an update on the Derwent Bridge repairs yet

6C53 Crewe CLS to Sellafield diverted to Kingmoor

6C22 didn't leave Sellafield this morning

6K73 Sellafield to Crewe CLS can't get out tomorrow

Neither can 6Z44 Sellafield to Kingmoor

Neither will next weeks Heysham power station trains

Kev

• Informative/Useful 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 6

10 hours ago, beast66606 said:

Insider information suggests known faulty drainage connected with a golf course, the golf were supposedly liable for the drainage but no doubt more information will come to light.

Every time I pass the golf course there it's under water! But I suppose that pre Furness Railway the golf course would have been in the sea.

Ian

• Informative/Useful 1

DRS have run a Kingmoor-Sellafield flask train this morning through Workington. Still no passenger services running so they must have let it run as a permissive working

Expect all the nukes to run north until Grange gets sorted

It appears that they are going to inspect all the line around Grange. Don't know how long that will take

• Informative/Useful 4

1 hour ago, kevsmiththai said:

Just think what the reaction would have been if it was a Flask train that derailed there?

Kev

It would be being peddled as an excellent demonstration of how safe the nuclear flasks are?

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, kevsmiththai said:

Expect all the nukes to run north until Grange gets sorted

The line is closed north of Workington, bustitution in operation, It's due to a faulty bridge.

Currently the Cumbrian Coast line only has a shuttle from Workington to Barrow & back.

Edited by melmerby
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
21 hours ago, Michael Hodgson said:

Secret project just in time for the elections, to convince northerners that levelling up is for real after all?

If it were in our line the MP would be out with his shovel this morning fully dressed in orange waterproofs to do a 'Levelling Up' photo shoot.

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
21 hours ago, kevsmiththai said:

6K73 Sellafield to Crewe CLS can't get out tomorrow

Neither can 6Z44 Sellafield to Kingmoor

Both appear to have run this morning so they must have at least one line fit to pass traffic.

I assume there are still rules for passing an important train through a possession. 

Many years ago I did the 'man with the red flag' act, walking through my possession at Acton Wells a safe distance ahead of an 08 checking the points were correct and secured to get the Guinness out of Park Royal.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, melmerby said:

The line is closed north of Workington, bustitution in operation, It's due to a faulty bridge.

Currently the Cumbrian Coast line only has a shuttle from Workington to Barrow & back.

According to National Rail website that work is scheduled to finish tomorrow.  Whether it does or not …

2 hours ago, TheSignalEngineer said:

If it were in our line the MP would be out with his shovel this morning fully dressed in orange waterproofs to do a 'Levelling Up' photo shoot.

If he's handy with a shovel, you should have a go at him about levelling up the potholes!

• Like 1
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Premium
22 hours ago, TheSignalEngineer said:

Both appear to have run this morning so they must have at least one line fit to pass traffic.

Both showing as not activated on RTT.

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, jamie92208 said:

They ran to Carlisle and then accessed the WCML there. 

Jamie

I eventually found them under new reporting codes, the Crewe one was 6K74 and the Carlisle one was 6C44

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

A video of the site has been posted on Youtube.  It shows blue marks on the seawall approx where the bogie centres are. I suspect they may have to cut gaps in the wall to get access.

Jamie