Sink hole at Grange-over-Sands 22/03/2024

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, eatus-maximus said:

If it isn't railway land, or there is a public right of access, there is nothing the railway can do.

Of course there is. Railway Acts of Parliament include rights of access across neighbouring land for operational purposes, and health and safety legislation requires safe areas of work to be defined and controlled.

In this case, the lifting plan will define the area of operation. Controls for preventing access will be in the accompanying risk assessment. If the rescuers had deemed it necessary to prevent access to adjacent land, they would have done so.

Edited by Jeremy Cumberland
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

The bloke leaning on the wall at 2.02 is the control measure to keep people back, and she stays back. 

The road on the inland side is a public highway. The beach/saltmarsh  may have public access rights or may not, and the landowner (if it isn't the Crown) may or may not be bothered about people trespassing on it. It almost certainly won't belong to Network Rail although the actual embankment will.  

The Railway Regulation Act 1842 S.14 (alluded to by Jeremy) provides a power for a railway company to enter land adjacent to the railway to undertake repairs following an accident or slippage, or to take action to prevent such an occurrence. If that had been necessary then any work site set up on the adjoining land would fall under the usual H&S legislation and would have to be made secure as appropriate. .  

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
17 hours ago, jamie92208 said:

There is actually another 8  minute video from herwith much better camera work taken near the seaward side of the train. The first four minutes show the process very clearly. 

I think we are fortunate that someone was present to video a fairly rare occurence.  If she can do this at 15 I think she's done well. 

Jamie

That's very good.  Well done to her.

Am I seeing two holes in the track?

There appears to be a shallower dip with broken sleepers, shortly after the main void.

Anyone know if the bogies are servicable enough to tow the train back to repair (at CAF?)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
14 hours ago, 11B said:

Whilst our local MP is busy supporting WCR he also seems to have been told that a tamper reported hitting a underground water pipe some 53hrs before the accident. He seems to be turning into a real railway enthusiast!

https://www.thewestmorlandgazette.co.uk/news/24226692.track-damaged-two-days-derailment---tim-farron/

Call me cynical but it’s getting towards election time; remember me I’m you MP vote for me!

• Agree 3

• RMweb Premium

I'm now very curious about what the situation was at the time of the accident.

There is a stream under the line at this point (the channel on the seaward side is not new), so I would imagine a culvert at the base of the embankment, although I can see no evidence for it in the first video taken the day after the accident, but this might be accounted for by debris from the sink hole washing into the culvert and getting deposited around the culvert exit. Instead, there is an old iron pipe at the location, high up the embankment but below formation level, and two new hoses that pass through the parapet wall, and can be only just below sleeper level (or might be threaded between the sleepers). It is quite easy to imagine a tamper hitting one of these.

I am not sure of the purpose of the iron pipe - it seems well above ground level on the landward side of the embankment - but the two hoses look as if water was being pumped from the landward side. Presumably this was already happening before the accident occurred. Why? Had the culvert collapsed? Was the landowner on the landward side trying to drain their land by pumping it over the railway?

The most recent video shows two new additional hoses, put in after the accident, through which the water is being pumped.

If water was being pumped through the two hoses in the first video at the time the tamper hit (if the tamper story is true), and if nothing was then done about it (such as turning off the pump), then this could well cause the formation to wash out.

I look forward to reading the accident report in due course.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Michael Hodgson said:

Was that drone launched from the middle of am umgated level crossing?

Looks like the crossing to access the causeway to Holme Island just off shore

image.png.1d7fe8307d231995701326787420f2f2.png

image.png.3ee7ce5f862ab79fa1cf633856e2a2fa.png

BTW

The Golf course is sited where previouusly there was a tidal bay but the Furness Railway's embankment cut it off from the sea and it was drained and reclaimed.

Edited by melmerby
  • Informative/Useful 1

6 hours ago, Michael Hodgson said:

Was that drone launched from the middle of am umgated level crossing?

Yes it looked like it, not usually the best place to stand, 

but since there is a big hole and no track then there is not much chance of a train coming, still should stay on the path though 

• Agree 1

Busy day on the Cumbrian Coast as three engineering trains arrived to go into the possession

The 195s involved in the derailment are still in the engineering sidings at Ulverston waiting to be picked up

The 70s and 56 are slated to come out of the possesion on Saturday morning to return to Carlisle. Pathed through Barrow

Line supposed to reopen on the 21st ( According to my former workmates at Sellafield)

Kev

6C94 70 812 17.04.2024 eit.jpg

6J87 Millom to Ulverston DR 73942 17.04.2024 edit.jpg

56 094 6C95 17.04.2024 edit.jpg

70 816 6C95 17.04.2024 edit.jpg

• Like 10

• RMweb Gold
On 09/04/2024 at 20:11, Wickham Green too said:

Erm ..... how shallow was the water pipe ..... or how deep were they tamping ???!!??

One of those visible here?

On 23/03/2024 at 17:26, peanuts said:

Doing the rounds on faceache 

Screenshot_20240322-191202_Facebook.jpg

One thing the blockade did was create the opportunity for the first Class 195s to travel the full length of the Cumbrian Coast. 195 101 and 195 113 ran as 5C95 ECS from Barrow Carriage sidings to Preston via the Cumbrian Coast line, Carlisle and WCML via Penrith. It was the headcode that gave me a clue so I went down to Askam station and there they were! Prior to this the only 195 workings north of Barrow on a regular basis were the Sunday only 2C31/2C56 Barrow Millom-Barrow 

The Tamper is due to come out of the possession tomorrow as 6J87 Ulverston to Carlisle Upperby via Cumbrian Coast

https://youtu.be/c5sp7a-0o2M?si=LuFOIB7s2T8kn1jp

195 101 and 195 113 are the first Civities to go further than Millom  on ther Cumbrian Coastedit.jpg

195 113 lead by 195 101 on the first 195 working to go further up the Cumbrian Coast than Millomedit.jpg

• Like 5

Coming to the conclusion of the track repairs at Grange

56 094 heading to Carlisle NY from Ulverston 20/04/2024 through Askam in Furness with the JNAs

56 094 heads to Carlisle NY from the Grange over Sands engineering worksedit.jpg

70 812 was used as the test train over the repairs.( Ulverston-Carnforth-Ulverston-Barrow-Carlisle NY) I tried to get it at Plumton Junction but missed it by minutes

70 812 heads for Carlisle NY after doing test train duties over the repaired Furness lineedit.jpg

But shot over the hill to get it at Askam

70 812 passes Askam after undertaking test duities at Grange over Sandsedit.jpg

there was a ECS move from Newton Heath to Barrow later to get some 195s in the right place for Monday morning

Hopefully all back to normal now

Kev

Edited by kevsmiththai
  • Like 5
  • Round of applause 1

First nuclear service  over the Furness line since the repairs. 6C51 Sellafield to Heysham Power station wit 68 017 Hornet top and tailed with 68 034 Rail Riders  seen at the former Plumpton Junction site just east  of Ulverston.

68 017 on 6C51 Sellafield to Heysham power station at Plumpton 23.04.2024 edit.jpg

Hard to believe how much used to be here in the old days . Now very rural with the remnants of the Glaxo branch overgrown by mature trees

Running over 30 minutes late 6C52, with 68 034 leading, heads back to Sellafield through Askam

68 034 Rail Riders on 6C52 Heysham PS to Sellafield at Askam In Furness edit.jpg

195 104 Deva Victrix sits forlornly in the Ulverston engineering sidings waiting to be recovered by road at some stage, The damage from the derailment is on the other side, the other 195 is out of the picture, off to the left.

195 104 in the engineering sidings at Ulverston after being recovered from the Grange derailment edit.jpg

Kev

Edited by kevsmiththai
typo
  • Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 1