Sink hole at Grange-over-Sands 22/03/2024

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, kevsmiththai said:

They will have to slide the lifting brackets in so the holes in the wall make sense

I'll try and find the video again and post a link.  It does give a good shot of the actual washout as well. Ignore the first three minutes. 

Jamie

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)
On 22/03/2024 at 12:23, beast66606 said:

195104 (leading) and 195133 were involved and 104 has sustained a lot of damage.

By the look of the video posted later (above post) the train had been in hard contact with the wall for some distance, with a lot of the stonework dislodged, the void under the track also seems to go under the up line a bit as well.

Edited by melmerby
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

There is a picture somewhere on faceache  showing that the crane has arrived from the north.  From other pictures it seems that the westernmost unit is completely derailed and the eastern one is still on the track. 

Jamie

• RMweb Gold
9 minutes ago, jamie92208 said:

There is a picture somewhere on faceache  showing that the crane has arrived from the north.  From other pictures it seems that the westernmost unit is completely derailed and the eastern one is still on the track. 

Jamie

The crane is self propelled, the loco which brought it down from Carlisle returned as locos are not permitted near the site at the moment. The "plan" (which will no doubt change as things move along) is that the unit on the track will move under it's own power, the derailed and badly damaged unit may be lifted off it's bogies, presumably to be lifted onto a flat bed vehicle but ... it's all a bit up in the air at the moment (excuse the pun) as lots of things are unknown, especially how secure the track is to enable the lifting.

• Thanks 2
  • Informative/Useful 3

Some pics from this morning taken from the road and footbridge nearest the incident. Might be on the BBC news this evening as a local team were also there:

PXL_20240326_112056826_Original.jpeg

PXL_20240326_112650180_Original.jpeg

PXL_20240326_112716230_Original.jpeg

Edited by idd15
Spelling
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 2
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium

I've just found this video. It shows the third coach of the derailed unit being rerailed.  Ignore the commentary but it is quite interesting to watch it in progress. 

Jamie

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, jamie92208 said:

I've just found this video. It shows the third coach of the derailed unit being rerailed.  Ignore the commentary but it is quite interesting to watch it in progress. 

Jamie

Oh dear.

Can't hold it still, hasn't heard of landscape mode and doesn't zoom in.

TBH even on a large screen, I can't see much.

1 hour ago, melmerby said:

Oh dear.

Can't hold it still, hasn't heard of landscape mode and doesn't zoom in.

TBH even on a large screen, I can't see much.

Probably used to TikTok which is primarily portrait and she’s a schoolgirl by the looks of it so I wouldn’t expect TV quality filming.

• Like 1
  • Agree 6

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, beast66606 said:

The "plan" (which will no doubt change as things move along) is that the unit on the track will move under it's own power, the derailed and badly damaged unit may be lifted off

I don’t want to speculate or start speculation but it seems strange to me that the lead unit looks severely derailed but that the second unit has passed over and remained on the track. If I’m reading the location of the hole correctly from that video.

I guess I will just have to wait for the report to find out the ins and outs of it.

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, woodenhead said:

Probably used to TikTok which is primarily portrait and she’s a schoolgirl by the looks of it so I wouldn’t expect TV quality filming.

I agree but it does provide quite a bit of info.  It isn't often that we get to see rerailing in progress. She posted a video of some viaduct repairs a few weeks ago and asked what certain thi gs were for.  I commented and gave her the info and got a grateful reply. 

1.  They haven't split the derailed unit into it's separate vehicles

2.  It seems that there is enough flexibility in the coupling and gangways to allow them to work one bogie at a time. 

We will have to wait for the report but I suspect that the driver was braking hard so the rear unit would have crossed the sinkhole rather more slowly than the front one. 

It can't have been good for the driver and it's good that no one got hurt.  Perhaps the substantial stone wall p, ayed a part in keeping things safe. 

Jamie

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium

I've looked at it twice more on a 27" screen.

All I can see is a very out of focus crane jib going up and down at various points.

I'll have to take people's word that the bogies are being lifted back on to the track because I just can't see it that closely.

• RMweb Premium
20 hours ago, woodenhead said:

I wouldn’t expect TV quality filming.

Nor would I, but much better results are possible, even with youngsters.

I've seen plenty filmed by the younger generation that I would be proud of.

3 minutes ago, melmerby said:

Nor would I, but much better results are possible, even with youngsters.

I've seen plenty filmed by the younger generation that I would be proud of.

Most probably, but berating someone for not filming at a particular quality is not fair unless you paid them to do it and to a particular quality.

i.e. no-one asked her to film it and it's our choice whether we watch it or not.

• Like 1
  • Agree 8
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium

Most probably, but berating someone for not filming at a particular quality is not fair unless you paid them to do it and to a particular quality.

i.e. no-one asked her to film it and it's our choice whether we watch it or not.

I agree.

I'm being a bit harsh, I was expecting to see a lot more from the video than actually was visible.

• RMweb Gold

She's a kid. She saw something interesting and created something in response. Creativity was not exactly universal among kids of my generation. 

• Like 3
  • Agree 9

• RMweb Premium

There is actually another 8  minute video from herwith much better camera work taken near the seaward side of the train. The first four minutes show the process very clearly. 

I think we are fortunate that someone was present to video a fairly rare occurence.  If she can do this at 15 I think she's done well. 

Jamie

• Like 3
  • Agree 13

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, jamie92208 said:

There is actually another 8  minute video from herwith much better camera work taken near the seaward side of the train. The first four minutes show the process very clearly. 

I think we are fortunate that someone was present to video a fairly rare occurence.  If she can do this at 15 I think she's done well. 

Jamie

I think she's great value and a decent, happy, youngster who clearly loves trains. I hope no one shows her the negative stuff on here. She also seems to have got some of the NR guys to talk to her as well.

Chris

• Like 7
  • Agree 7

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, jamie92208 said:

Does anyone know if the trains have been, loved yet. 

Jamie

I love them 😃

They have been moved near the signal box apparently. The crane has gone.

Edited by beast66606
clarified
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• Moderators
2 hours ago, Gilbert said:

I think she's great value and a decent, happy, youngster who clearly loves trains. I hope no one shows her the negative stuff on here. She also seems to have got some of the NR guys to talk to her as well.

Chris

Fair play to her; she's capturing and saying what she sees - it's not about 'me me me me' like so many others.

She then took the time to go back, do more, and do it better. She's got good character.

• Like 6
  • Agree 13

2 hours ago, Gilbert said:

... She also seems to have got some of the NR guys to talk to her as well.

What amazes me is that she - or anyone else for that matter - was actually allowed to get within sight of the job without head to toe high-viz, hard hat, totectors etc.etc. ......

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Wickham Green too said:

What amazes me is that she - or anyone else for that matter - was actually allowed to get within sight of the job without head to toe high-viz, hard hat, totectors etc.etc. ......

If it isn't railway land, or there is a public right of access, there is nothing the railway can do.

• Agree 5