Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×

Revolution WIA car carriers in 00 and N

AY Mod

Fabulous news - these were definitely on my list of wants ...................... some of the most impressive vehicles when in a rake.

Great being able to recreate this .............................. 66102 approaching Worting Jn in 2016 or a rear-end in 2017

DSC08642.JPG

DSC05241.JPG

Edited by Southernman46
  • Like 7

• RMweb Premium

I’m beyond excited by the announcement, something I’d longed for, for many years in 4mm scale, I’ll be giving many sets a natural & fitting home stabled in the yard on my Didcot Parkway layout, bring it on, great choice guys! 

• Like 5
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Gold
49 minutes ago, VXDH92 said:

Great announcement, looking forward to these.

Did/do they generally operate in block trains or did they run with the likes of cartic 4-s, IPAs etc.?

I think they tended to operate in block trains however they do appear to have been mixed with other car carriers on occasion:

Didcot-Mossend (with two HEAs in the consist..!): 

The Dying of the Light

Castle Bromwich-Southampton (with the IPA car carriers already offered by Revolution):

Southampton - 03/03/10

And the odd set could also be seen in consists being taken for maintenance or on trials:

60005 BBHT 7th April 2000

66152 + 66005 South Morton

cheers

Ben A.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Hi Gang;

Looking forward to these in N Gauge to complement my previous versions.

The decision is how more many sets???

Later;

Stu from NRSW

Edited by Stu from EGDL
  • Like 1

An excellent choice, been waiting a long time in hopes I'd see these done RTR! I'll definitley be having a few sets to model the Morris Cowley working.

Good thing is, you can get away with just the one set as part of an enterprise working or just on its own on a wagon move. Also means you can have them behind more locos than just an EWS/DB Class 66!

66101 - Mount Pleasant

66201 - Radley

73134 - Eltham Park

37513 - Sidcup

Scotland bound

One of a kind

A salty tale

Yesterdays working from Morris Cowley to Southampton and return was just 3 wagons, so even present day modellers can get away with a 'short' train of them!

Andy.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Fat Controller said:

Looks like a nice model. Regarding the two hoppers in the train of car-carriers; they were carrying t flint for garden landscaping. loaded at Southampton docks and destined for Mossend.

1 hour ago, Benjamin Brady said:

I've a few photos but I'll have to dig them out the hea I was told was a stone contract with b and q 

10pm at Carlisle 6o15 later 6v15 always used to have them at the front 

Slightly off topic, but regarding the HEA's, the 'gen' which came from an Eastleigh based DB driver at the time said it was sea dredged pea shingle for B&Q, which went to PD Stirling at Mossend for processing. Initially was for 3 wagons a week but seemed quite sporadic at times.

HEA's - Eastleigh

66025 Millbrook 12-8-15

66187  Southampton 22-8-14

The Eastleigh 'Enterprise' and it's associated trip workings to Southampton Western Docks, Marchwood and Fawley are much missed since the demise of the General Freight Network (as DB called it) in 2017.

Andy.

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium

The covers for 80% of a set were sat behind The Factory around 2002 for some reason....

No idea why though, or if there was ever a naked set running around....

oocd043.JPG.aac88214554c6a35b4a236d4e18a8cdd.JPG

• Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, jpendle said:

So would a "typical" rake consists of 4 or 5 five cars sets?

Regards,

John P

Cars are light. 8-10 sets isn’t uncommon. You do get shorter rakes though. 

10 sets here: 

I’ve got 4 sets of the Etched Pixels ones from years back half finished. Torn now…

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)

Many congratulations to Ben and Revolution on this announcement.

We listed the WIA Car Carrier in The 00 Wishlist Poll for the first time in 2019 and again in 2022 (the latest Poll to run before we run again this December).

The vehicles were high up in Middle Polling in both - a good result for 'modern' vehicles.

We wish Ben and his team every success with the project.

Brian (on behalf of The 00 Poll Team)

Edited by BMacdermott
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
22 hours ago, Revolution Ben said:

I think they tended to operate in block trains however they do appear to have been mixed with other car carriers on occasion:

Didcot-Mossend (with two HEAs in the consist..!): 

If only someone produced a decent HEA!

Steven B

• Agree 1

Like like like!

Much like everyone else in the thread, this is a very exciting announcement, and I can see my wallet recoiling from the imminent threat already!

Excellent choice RevolutioN team!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1