Summer announcements - 9.30am 1st May

Paul.Uni

29 minutes ago, Halvarras said:

For me the EFE Plasser crane is of interest, as I had been seriously considering the proposed Hattons model before it was canned. Assuming the usual RRP discount this should be available at around £76, which would not be that far above Hattons' anticipated £69.

Yes, I'm delighted to see that.  I was disappointed that Hattons cancelled, but it felt unfair to criticise them given they had made a very sound business decision in that they believed it was not going to sell in sufficient numbers, based I think on expressions of interest.  So Bachmann/EFE have evidently arrived at a different conclusion, and they deserve to be right about that.  Either way they've got at at least one sale - to me.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, GordonC said:

even at the normal 15% off is still £58 each 🤔

Try buying comparable kit-built coaches decently painted. I saw a SR Dia 2406 the other day offered, new, for £425. Secondhand ones on ebay are typically at least half that, despite being decades old. And latest manufacturing techniques almost certainly mean the products announced today are superior in detail and running qualities. 

Bachmann is ripping nobody off at these prices. 

• Like 4
  • Agree 9

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)

I'm slightly surprised that the new Mk1's haven't been done initially in Blue & Grey, especially the BSO and RB.

I'm also continually perplex as to why Bachmann aren't producing re-liveries of some of their existing tooling. We're still lacking a 2-Hap, Class 117 and 121 in BR Blue, or Green Small Panel..... (although I know the latter has been done by Dapol). I wonder if the original run of these didn't sell as well as expected to allow the confidence to do them in these other colour schemes.

Edited by Geep7
  • Like 1
  • Agree 5

1 hour ago, ThaneofFife said:

Mind you the mk1s  get the new bogies with pick ups .

Presume the interior mouldings have suitable cut outs across the numerous bulkheads to allow a circuit board to be installed.......

Even without lighting, having pickups makes it easier to add a resistor so that the vehicle will operate DCC current-based detectors. 

Much simpler than mucking about with resistive paint on axles etc.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
19 minutes ago, Ramblin Rich said:

Agree, it's likely EFE have taken over the work Hattons had done before cancelling. Was tempted before so will be interested to see how it turns out.

Not so, the EFE Rail YOB is a new project from the ground up and nothing to do with the Hattons abandoned project.

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 7
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

1 hour ago, Dagworth said:

Very happy with that, next can we have another run of freightliner flats please?

Andi

I'm not complaining given that there's a lot more new stuff in this announcement than I had expected.  All the same, isn't it about time somebody produced the short-lived "caboose" guards container that was built because ASLEF didn't want them on the footplate?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Graham_Muz said:

Not so, the EFE Rail YOB is a new project from the ground up and nothing to do with the Hattons abandoned project.

I can't help wondering whether the abandoned Hattons work-in-progress got taken over by somebody who's now been beaten to market. 

I don't believe there's enough demand to support competition on this!

• RMweb Gold
19 minutes ago, Graham_Muz said:

Could we have it in N gauge please?

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
11 minutes ago, Michael Hodgson said:

I can't help wondering whether the abandoned Hattons work-in-progress got taken over by somebody who's now been beaten to market. 

I don't believe there's enough demand to support competition on this!

The obvious candidate is Accurascale as they’ve bought most of Hattons exclusives. I’m not sure if the genesis coaches are permanently going to Rails or if they just used Rails to fulfil the final run as they were already completed and being shipped. But Accurascale do have the 66, P class, Andrew Barclay and warwells. I don’t think that the market will support two offerings though. We might be surprised, they might fly off the shelves and sell out instantly. Pity Bachmann aren’t doing Balfour Beatty livery, that’s the one I’d most like. I may get a Jarvis one, think I’ll wait and see what money I have when they arrive in shops. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Michael Hodgson said:

...having pickups makes it easier to add a resistor so that the vehicle will operate DCC current-based detectors. Much simpler than mucking about with resistive paint on axles etc.

I am likely not the only one redistributing the bogies on the recent Thompson coaches around the inherited LNER stock working on my version of BR(ER) to this end. And there will be more of the same around my BR mk1s with the most welcome range expansion there.

• Like 1

A decent release announcement. The EFE crane is great to see and looks great in those pictures. Can’t help but think why not a Balfour Beatty livery hasn’t been included, I would have ordered without hesitation.

The new Mk1’s may replace some of my Hornby ones as upgrades as they also look splendid. 

One thing though, Bachmann - have you forgotten about your class 47 and Mk2f tooling? Patiently waiting for a west coast 47 and anglia mk2f’s!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
22 minutes ago, Graham_Muz said:

Hello Graham and everyone

The YOB Crane was in The 00 Wishlist Poll up until the point that Hattons announced it in November 2018. The project then seemed to be 'mothballed' in 2020 - so we left it out of the 2022 Poll on the basis that we hadn't seen any 'official cancellation'.

Up until 2018, the crane had been Middle Polling - a highly creditable result for 'modern' items (which tend to poll lower but, seemingly, sell just as well).

Brian (on behalf of The 00 Poll Team)

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, MikeParkin65 said:

Try detailing and finishing a Hornby Mk1 to the standard of a Bachmann Mk1 and you'll soon see what extra you are getting for your money. And then add a close coupling cam.

You pays your money.......

TBH I've already done that... bar the ccm - long term I don't intend using these anyway. 😀 

As you say you pays your......

Edited by davidw
  • Like 1

On 30/04/2024 at 12:55, nathan70000 said:

A re-release tool of the standard BR 20T brake van in early bauxite livery without warning flashes or TOPS panels. For some reason this particularly livery is very hard to find - there are plenty of late bauxite ones out there, and plenty of early grey vans - but not early bauxite.

Given Bachmann have spent millions over the last few years on retooling a number of locomotives, I think the BR standard 20T brakevan is a very worthy cause.  At the moment my preference for my guards are the Hornby Stanier brakevan and the BR standard van.  The latter looks so much better dimensionally whereas the Bachmann van appears too slim end on. The point is that IMHO Bachmann has always gone the extra mile to provide the complete trains for us    

2 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

The only 03 I've got is an ancient Mainline one that must be getting on for being nearly 40 years old.

Jason

Have to say Jason that my Next18 fitted 03 chassis sacrificed into my James Hilton inspired Bagnall diesel is absolutely amazing. The Digitrains sound and it's gear changes are absolutely fantastic and make it such fun to drive.  

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, WCML100 said:

A decent release announcement. The EFE crane is great to see and looks great in those pictures. Can’t help but think why not a Balfour Beatty livery hasn’t been included, I would have ordered without hesitation.

Me too. They mentioned it. I assume it will follow later or be a Collectors Club special.

• RMweb Gold

Hello everyone

Certainly a 'bumper bundle' from Bachmann/EFE! We wish them every success with the projects.

Within The Results of The 00 Wishlist Poll, the Bloater Fish Van has been steadily climbing up through the ranks from Middle Polling to High Polling.

In 2022 (the last Poll to run before we run again near Christmas), the van was very high up in the NPCCS category - only being beaten by six milk vehicles.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

The YOB crane is a definite must, however whilst watching their annoucement video on their youtube channel, someone needs to tell the CC generator its "Bachmann" and not "Batman" ! .. couldnt keep a straight face.. thanks Youtube

NL

• Funny 4

Release dates on the Bachmann website:

May/Jun

Graham Farish: 14T Anchor-Mounted Tank Wagon

EFE Rail OO: LSWR O2, Plasser Crane, GWR Bloater

Jun/Jul

Narrow Gauge NG7: Quarry Hunslets, Slate & Coal Wagons

Jul/Aug

Branchline: 03, 25 (6 variants), MK1 POS

Graham Farish: 350 & 450

Aug/Sep

Branchline: Jinty, 25 (5 variants)

Graham Farish: TEA, 20T Brake Van

Narrow Gauge OO9: RNAD Brake Van

Nov/Dec

Branchline: MK1 BSO, FO & RB

Jan/Feb

Branchline: Palvan

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Very timely for me are the two EFE Isle of Wight O2s as I contemplate starting a 77L RUB box layout.

About time I had made a model for my 03060 avatar as well.

Regards,

Ian.

5 hours ago, John M Upton said:

The N scale announcements were a bit light!  So much so that no one has even bothered with a separate announcement in the Farish section!

Maybe next time....

For obvious reasons I'm really surprised the later style Class 25 hasn't appeared by now. Seems like an open goal to me, and I don't even model in N!

3 hours ago, Paul.Uni said:

Release dates on the Bachmann website:

May/Jun

Graham Farish: 14T Anchor-Mounted Tank Wagon

EFE Rail OO: LSWR O2, Plasser Crane, GWR Bloater

Jun/Jul

Narrow Gauge NG7: Quarry Hunslets, Slate & Coal Wagons

Jul/Aug

Branchline: 03, 25 (6 variants), MK1 POS

Graham Farish: 350 & 450

Aug/Sep

Branchline: Jinty, 25 (5 variants)

Graham Farish: TEA, 20T Brake Van

Narrow Gauge OO9: RNAD Brake Van

Nov/Dec

Branchline: MK1 BSO, FO & RB

Jan/Feb

Branchline: Palvan

I thought the whole point of the quarterly announcements was that items were relased during that quarter!!! It seems that this is a 3/4 announcement!!!

4 hours ago, BMacdermott said:

Hello Graham and everyone

The YOB Crane was in The 00 Wishlist Poll up until the point that Hattons announced it in November 2018. The project then seemed to be 'mothballed' in 2020 - so we left it out of the 2022 Poll on the basis that we hadn't seen any 'official cancellation'.

Up until 2018, the crane had been Middle Polling - a highly creditable result for 'modern' items (which tend to poll lower but, seemingly, sell just as well).

I strongly suspect that this model is derived from the Hattons CADs or however much further they got with their project. It looks identical to the Hattons CAD.

• Agree 2

6 hours ago, Geep7 said:

I'm slightly surprised that the new Mk1's haven't been done initially in Blue & Grey, especially the BSO and RB.

I'm also continually perplex as to why Bachmann aren't producing re-liveries of some of their existing tooling. We're still lacking a 2-Hap, Class 117 and 121 in BR Blue, or Green Small Panel..... (although I know the latter has been done by Dapol). I wonder if the original run of these didn't sell as well as expected to allow the confidence to do them in these other colour schemes.

Surprised that reruns of the A1 and A2 haven't occurred too. .... Or more new tool steam releases 

• Agree 2