EFE Rail Plasser 12T General Purpose Crane.

AY Mod

2 hours ago, Graham_Muz said:

As already stated the EFE Rail YOB is nothing to do with the Hattons abandoned project. 

Ah all becomes clear now 35011 @ Swindon and Cricklade , YOB at Swindon and Cricklade !

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Halvarras said:

From memory of the Hattons announcement 81523 allocated to Reading (I think) was of most interest to me, and this may have been the one which ran with a former tube wagon and Fruit D-based crew vehicle (and departmental Toad brake van?) for company, which looked like an interesting little project. Methinks I'm going to have to revisit this........😉!

That pairing were written for 81509 https://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/plassercrane/e5407d374

OTP only has 81523 at Reading in one report. 

Paul

https://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/plassercrane

Edited by hmrspaul
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, XChris said:

Was the Jarvis one repainted into something else by 2004? Or did they last further into time in this Jarvis livery, not bothered if it was a different running number?

Jarvis stuff remained in maroon until the firm collapsed, the one being modelled was sold into preservation in 2008 and still carries maroon today.

54 minutes ago, wombatofludham said:

I presume they were towed to a worksite by a loco then moved up and down the site on their own?

Yes, self-propelled within worksites.

• Thanks 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, hmrspaul said:

That pairing were written for 81509 https://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/plassercrane/e5407d374

OTP only has 81523 at Reading in one report. 

Paul

https://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/plassercrane

Thanks Paul, I'd just been attempting a 're-trawl', as it were, based on a memory of '975411' and ended up in page 3 of the original Hattons thread where the Reading photos I could remember appear. As you say, the crane was 81509, the tube wagon ZDV DB732251 and the ex-Fruit D DB975411 (I worry myself sometimes, although I suppose it confirms I still have at least two brain cells to rub together!) The brake van was a standard type (B951128), I think the Toad brake van idea was in my own head, as I already had that (Kernow's departmental green DW35377).  

Hmm, it still looks like a very attractive short train........oh hang on, there seems to be a voice echoing in my head loudly reminding me that I've repeatedly said that "I don't need any more projects!" - just ignore it, it'll go away 😉 !

Edited by Halvarras
Spelllins
  • Friendly/supportive 1

34 minutes ago, Halvarras said:

Thanks Paul, I'd just been attempting a 're-trawl', as it were, based on a memory of '975411' and ended up in page 3 of the original Hattons thread where the Reading photos I could remember appear. As you say, the crane was 81509, the tube wagon ZDV DB732251 and the ex-Fruit D DB975411 (I worry myself sometimes, although I suppose it confirms I still have at least two brain cells to rub together!) The brake van was a standard type (B951128), I think the Toad brake van idea was in my own head, as I already had that (Kernow's departmental green DW35377).  

Hmm, it still looks like a very attractive short train........on hang on, there seems to be a voice echoing in my head loudly reminding me that I've repeated said that "I don't need any more projects!" - just ignore it, it will go away 😉 !

ISTR said combo was involved in the Staines West branch recovery works ??

• Agree 1

6 minutes ago, Southernman46 said:

ISTR said combo was involved in the Staines West branch recovery works ??

Yes indeed, the Reading photos in the Hattons thread I refer to are immediately followed by photos of 81509 and friends doing just that, taken by @VIA185 of this parish I believe.

• Thanks 1

I’ve put my money where my mouth is , and pre ordered one from derails .

strangely I was offered a kit version last week, but I don’t have time .

I already have the two wagons above in kit form to be converted to run with it 

• Like 2

I have just been reading through the description of DRP81522 on Kernow's website and at the bottom noticed an acknowledgement of assistance provided by the crane's current owner, Ron Bailes.

Ron was already a member of the Swindon Model Railway Club when I joined in 1973, he was a Swindon Works apprentice at the time and it was thanks to him that I got involved in the repainting of D1062 Western Courier for the September 1975 Open Day; in May 1977 he and I undertook what would be my one and only weekend tour around Scotland by rail - that kind of long-distance roaming wasn't in my nature and almost certainly wouldn't have happened without his enthusiasm and organising (and BR connections!) Ron went on to much greater things on the railways - in later years we'd occasionally see each other at exhibitions when he was attending with his O gauge layout 'Cherry Orchard'. 

All the more reason to pre-order that one, which is the one I wanted anyway 😊! I already had another reason to pop down to Kernow so now I have two (well........at least two.......!)

• Like 3

14 hours ago, newbryford said:

Surprised that Balfour Beatty white/blue isn't being done, given that they have 6 of the 18 survivors now.

From OTP, BB have 6 - 2 of them are stored at Ashford at the last count and the other 4 work around the Southern, 11 on preserved railways and one at Tata Scunthorpe.

We're British Steel Scunthorpe now. And we haven't had one of these cranes on site for many years now 

8 hours ago, PieGuyRob said:

Likewise, I have just ordered one myself from Kernow.

Good man .

This is a sure fire hit from Bachmann - a master stroke I think 

• Agree 1

Yeah unusually for me it was an immediate pre-order yesterday - normally I hum and hah and try to work out whether I really need it before buying anyway. Have a feeling on this one that might shift quickly as quite different to the norm and looks pretty impressive in photos so far.

• Agree 3

Posted (edited)

Like others I assumed this was based on the Hattons one, but I understand from Graham that it isn't.  

The announcement got me rereading the old thread on the Hattons one and when I remembered they had made their CAD drawings available, I thought maybe EFE should have downloaded them and saved themselves a bit of work!! 😉

The other thing I noticed trawling back through the Hattons thread was that it was mothballed due to a lack of preorders on page 3, and despite 6 subsequent pages of people declaring they wanted one and lamenting having not preordered it it was to no avail.  That was a pity as just like this time there did seem a lot of interest in them.

Anyway I was delighted to see it appear on the Bachmann Summer 2024 and do like Bachmann's approach of making announcements when models are only a few months away, ( I still have nightmares over the OTAs and ScotRail livery Mk2a).

First time ever I ordered one on the day they were announced, I've ordered it from Cheltenham Model Centre hopefully in time for the Perth show at the end of June.  

Edited by Waverley47708
  • Agree 1

It would be nice to see more pictures of the finished model. There are a few elements that I would like to check, the biggest one is if the right side cab window is missing? 

Here area some  photos showing the window that doesn't show on the EFE model.

Cheers.

DRP81511 Ash HRD (24) 28-04-07 PW.JPG

DRP81507 Ash HRD 09-11-14 (23) PW.jpg

DRP81507 Ash HRD 09-11-14 (24) PW.jpg

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

3 hours ago, Waverley47708 said:

The announcement got me rereading the old thread on the Hattons one and when I remembered they had made their CAD drawings available, I thought maybe EFE should have downloaded them and saved themselves a bit of work!! 😉

EFE Rail is a marketing brand of models designed by others notably Kernow.

To date no EFE Rail model has been offered as part of the Bachmann Collectors Club so a Balfour Beatty one will invariably be a main range model.

4 hours ago, Waverley47708 said:

Anyway I was delighted to see it appear on the Bachmann Summer 2024 and do like Bachmann's approach of making announcements when models are only a few months away, ( I still have nightmares over the OTAs and ScotRail livery Mk2a).

Funny you should mention long lead times, I remembered that yesterday marked 5 years since the delivery of my D600 'Active' from Kernow, after a wait which lasted longer than the real locos were in service!!

Me to postie: "Yay, I've waited years to receive this!"

Postie to me: "I hope that wasn't our fault!"

It was worth the wait though.......

• Funny 5

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Lyddrail said:

There are a few elements that I would like to check, the biggest one is if the right side cab window is missing? 

Here area some  photos showing the window that doesn't show on the EFE model

Assuming the photos on p1 are the production tooling (more likely than not) fingers crossed it comes apart fairly easily to allow for cutting out the missing window.  

looking at the Hattons cad they included the window 

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

I was interested in the Hattons version, but it wasn’t clear to me I had to show a definitive pre order interest for it to happen.

The way Bachmann does announcements now is ideal for me , as I have the concentration span of a goldfish , it’s on point for my current interest . I’ve had to cancel a couple of other preorders as my interest has moved on already !

1 hour ago, Butler Henderson said:

EFE Rail is a marketing brand of models designed by others notably Kernow.

The impression I get about this model is that it is designed by Bachmann Europe in conjunction with a third party manufacturer in China as oppose to being designed by Bachmann Europe in conjunction with its parent company Kader.

It does look great.

25 minutes ago, 1andrew1 said:

The impression I get about this model is that it is designed by Bachmann Europe in conjunction with a third party manufacturer in China as oppose to being designed by Bachmann Europe in conjunction with its parent company Kader.

It does look great.

Not necessarily designed even by Bachmann Europe, commissioned might be a more accurate word.

Who cares , who designed it, made it ? I’m not following this obsession .

its a much requested piece of rail borne kit , its clearly not anything to do with hattons and to be honest I don’t care if the ghost of Bruce Lee designed it in Hong Kong .

just be grateful, it’s coming soon 

• Like 4
  • Agree 4
  • Round of applause 2

7 hours ago, 1andrew1 said:

It does look great.

Its by Kernow Models and distributed by Bachmann

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2