EFE Rail Plasser 12T General Purpose Crane.

AY Mod

• RMweb Premium

Surprised that Balfour Beatty white/blue isn't being done, given that they have 6 of the 18 survivors now.

From OTP, BB have 6 - 2 of them are stored at Ashford at the last count and the other 4 work around the Southern, 11 on preserved railways and one at Tata Scunthorpe.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

I had one of these on order from Hattons as soon as they announced their project, which as we know was subsequently canned, so I'll definitely be having the BR yellow version. 

• Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)

Not many 1998/9 photos available to work from (and as far as I can tell none with both sides shown), however looking at the sightings and photos on Ontrackplant.com I think 81509/14/16/23 look to be the most suitable for me.    3 of which have the red weight lettering and one the black, I have gone for one of the former and will remove the BR arrows / Plasser logos and some of the data panels.   Will be needing to commission transfers for the ear defenders H&S signs. 

edit: just noticed all the options I had been considering will need the jib support adding.  Fortunately it doesn't look like it will involve much work to add.

Ive wanted one of these for a long time, will be good to finally get hold of one.  

Edited by The Fatadder
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, newbryford said:

Surprised that Balfour Beatty white/blue isn't being done, given that they have 6 of the 18 survivors now.

From OTP, BB have 6 - 2 of them are stored at Ashford at the last count and the other 4 work around the Southern, 11 on preserved railways and one at Tata Scunthorpe.

They may be saving this for a later production run.

• Like 1

Fantastic announcement. Although a shame we have 2 yellow versions in the same release rather than a balfour beatty white and blue. I will be holding out for one in that livery when / if it comes along! 

the images of this look fantastic though I have to say! 

• Like 1
  • Agree 4

After the usual RRP discount this should be available at around £7 above the price Hattons had  anticipated, which IMHO is reasonable for something this complex.

From memory of the Hattons announcement 81523 allocated to Reading (I think) was of most interest to me, and this may have been the one which ran with a former tube wagon and Fruit D-based crew vehicle (and departmental Toad brake van?) for company, which looked like an interesting little project. Methinks I'm going to have to revisit this........😉!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, JSpencer said:

I cried when Hattons cancelled theirs, but now I can finally add that final touch to my engineering train.

Nice one EFE

So did I...... now I'm happy again 

• Agree 1

52 minutes ago, Halvarras said:

After the usual RRP discount this should be available at around £7 above the price Hattons had  anticipated, which IMHO is reasonable for something this complex.

£76-45 at Rails.  I've already pre-ordered.

Excellent to see this project has been revived regardless of manufacturer. Given that Bachmann have bought various toolings from the Kernow Model’s project and production suite under the EFE Rail brand, it wouldn’t at all surprise me if Hatton’s sold the shelved YOB CAD’s to EFE Rail at a “WIP” rate when they went under - similar to the Accurascale deal for the 66.

Whether or not this is the case, certainly a welcome announcement and at a reasonable price. Like many others, I eagerly anticipate a future release of them in Balfour Beatty.

Can only wish them all the best in making a success of this maiden production run to enable that future livery.

• RMweb Gold
Just now, Bearwood West Yard said:

Excellent to see this project has been revived regardless of manufacturer. Given that Bachmann have bought various toolings from the Kernow Model’s project and production suite under the EFE Rail brand, it wouldn’t at all surprise me if Hatton’s sold the shelved YOB CAD’s to EFE Rail at a “WIP” rate when they went under - similar to the Accurascale deal for the 66.

Whether or not this is the case, certainly a welcome announcement and at a reasonable price. Like many others, I eagerly anticipate a future release of them in Balfour Beatty.

Can only wish them all the best in making a success of this maiden production run to enable that future livery.

As already stated the EFE Rail YOB is nothing to do with the Hattons abandoned project. 

• Informative/Useful 1

Posted (edited)

Very tempting but, having checked, all the Scottish based ones in 1988 were made by Cowans Sheldon and not Plasser.

Shame, it's a nice model.

Edited by Flood
  • Informative/Useful 1

2 hours ago, JSpencer said:

I cried when Hattons cancelled theirs, but now I can finally add that final touch to my engineering train.

Nice one EFE

Likewise. I have pre-ordered the BR Yellow one which looks excellent. From the photos there are clearly lights on the front and back but I assume they are non functioning as there was no mention of working lights on the Bachmann video. Either way, looking forward to this arriving.

• Like 1

Was the Jarvis one repainted into something else by 2004? Or did they last further into time in this Jarvis livery, not bothered if it was a different running number?

I must admit although I've seen these cranes around my knowledge of them is limited.  I presume they were towed to a worksite by a loco then moved up and down the site on their own?