RMweb

• RMweb Premium
14 hours ago, Johann Marsbar said:

The B1 seemed to have an aversion to The Fine City  in the early 2000's as I travelled on a run from Liverpool St on 10th November 2001 which was supposed to carry on to Lowestoft and then return via the East Suffolk Line.  However the B1 aquired a hot box on the outward run to Norwich and we ended up with this.....

r01-744.jpg.1f7b2b116c39d8dfe56d4ac05a5f57b0.jpg

The 67 wasn't passed to run via the East Suffolk, so we had to return via Norwich (Wensum Curve), though whoever was in Control that day added interest to the return trip by routeing us through lots of little used loops and other lines on the way back!

Down passenger loops in the up direction were a specialty that day! Lots of random crossovers as well. 

https://www.sixbellsjunction.co.uk/00s/040410rt.htm

61264 suffered a fair bit of boiler damage that day, several broken stays for example. The run back with 37057 was good fun. 121 minutes Norwich to Liverpool St including a 7 minute stop at Ipswich, not bad for an 80mph loco. Very few passengers on board so no problems getting the front window. Full power applied through Colchester station sent passengers scurrying away from the edge of the platform!

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, keefer said:

Was just going to say, even from anecdotes on RMWeb, there were obviously plenty of incidents which didn't get reported - no casualties and not too much damage? Then just get it sorted as best/quickly as possible and save everyone a load of hassle & paperwork.

If the high-ups didn't hear about it, it didn't happen and The Job gets back to normal more quickly - although, no doubt, the guilty party would never hear the end of it (and may even get a nickname/reputation for the rest of their life!😄)

Pretty much, though I reckon the high-ups had the low-downs a bit more than some of us liked to think, especially those who’d come up through the ranks…

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

4 hours ago, The Johnster said:

I did run a series of 'Confessions of a Canton Goods Guard' series here,

Yes & most entertaining it was, too!! You can't possibly have run out of material...??!! 😁😉👍

• Agree 5
  • Funny 1

4 hours ago, The Johnster said:

Pretty much, though I reckon the high-ups had the low-downs a bit more than some of us liked to think, especially those who’d come up through the ranks…

Yes, there was a difference between things known about, and known about officially.

• Agree 1
  • Funny 1

4 hours ago, F-UnitMad said:
9 hours ago, The Johnster said:

I did run a series of 'Confessions of a Canton Goods Guard' series here,

Yes & most entertaining it was, too!! You can't possibly have run out of material...??!! 😁😉👍

I was going to say exactly the same thing! I bookmarked that thread and i do drop into it from time to time, but we've had no 'confessions' for a while. Can't believe that there's no more...

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, melmerby said:

What's the point of buffers if you don't use them occasionally?😄

Of course they need testing every now and again, otherwise they might not work!

• RMweb Gold
23 hours ago, Boris said:

Some of them are as I mentioned people doing unfamiliar things in a job which they only do a couple of days a month.

Quite agree but it has long been the case that this sort of problem should be recognised in the railway's SMS (Safety Management System) by incorporating refresher training/supervised updating and be taken into account when rostering people in safety critical, especially train working, roles.  The Inspectorate were pushing that hard in SMS checks and visits to minor and leisure railways a decade ago and were very keen on proper maintenance of the related competence and work frequency records.

I realise that some railways might have staffing problems.   But explaining away something by playing the 'lack of regular familiarity' card, or failure to carry out repairs 'due to pressure of other work' card,  were taken out of the Manual of Handy Excuses - even on heritage and leisure railways - a long time ago

• Like 8
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, kevinlms said:

Of course they need testing every now and again, otherwise they might not work!

There was a story about at one time vconcerning some sort of Work Study expert who had spent some time in the Bristol Yard at Severn Tunnel Jcn.  He put in a report that he'd noticed significant gaps between the end of track in sidings and the stop blocks for those sidings.  He concluded from this observation that the sidings had obviously once been longer and that now they were shorter they were still perfect adequate for theh job

Whilet he didn't explain where the track had gone between the end of the sidings and the stop blocks suggested that it would be pointless and expensive to replace it as the shorter sidings seemed quite adequate.   I reckon someone in the yard 'forgot' to tell him how and why there was a gap between the end of the sidings and the stop blocks.   Alas for him his report was not acted on..

• Funny 9

11 hours ago, The Johnster said:

In my current day-job, that's known as "knowing where the bodies are buried" 😉

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
20 minutes ago, The Stationmaster said:

There was a story about at one time vconcerning some sort of Work Study expert who had spent some time in the Bristol Yard at Severn Tunnel Jcn.  He put in a report that he'd noticed significant gaps between the end of track in sidings and the stop blocks for those sidings.  He concluded from this observation that the sidings had obviously once been longer and that now they were shorter they were still perfect adequate for theh job

Whilet he didn't explain where the track had gone between the end of the sidings and the stop blocks suggested that it would be pointless and expensive to replace it as the shorter sidings seemed quite adequate.   I reckon someone in the yard 'forgot' to tell him how and why there was a gap between the end of the sidings and the stop blocks.   Alas for him his report was not acted on..

A good time to re-post this?

https://www.yfanefa.com/record/11069

• Like 6
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

See, that’s what happens when you identify as a loco but you’re really only a van… looks a bit sad, doesn’t it?

• Like 1
  • Funny 6

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, KeithMacdonald said:

In my current day-job, that's known as "knowing where the bodies are buried" 😉

In the wake of BR Privatisation, two former BR lady lawyers set up a consultancy on that basis exactly....

http://www.hblaw.co.uk/

• Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

3 hours ago, keefer said:

A different view of the famous Stourbridge 'failure to stop':

Train Crash at Stourbridge 1977 (3)

By Walsall1955 on Flickr

I take it the old Lima pancake motor is at the other end...?? 

• Funny 7

10 hours ago, Wickham Green too said:

Now explain where the track embankment has gone between the end of the sidings and the stop blocks !

Metal fairies getting ambitious and nicking the girder bridge?

• Funny 3

11 hours ago, Michael Hodgson said:

But it takes real skill to achieve this (even on a model!) ...

271414433_3058679341065703_3378513579035859028_n.jpg.1e62cb64c69a13d7edbd0657effcdcd6.jpg

Oh, pretty please, can you also post that in the "When the real thing looks like a model" thread?

• Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, F-UnitMad said:

I take it the old Lima pancake motor is at the other end...?? 

The advantage of traction tyres - if you cut the power off, it would have stopped dead, pity about the passengers though with the G forces!

• Funny 1