Rails deposits on Bachmann pre-orders

Hello,

I went to Rails to pre-order some of the newly announced Bachmann goodies and noticed that Rails were taking a £30 deposit on the items (sound fitted locos). Is this a new policy as I not had deposits before apart from on Rails exclusive models? I'm not opposed to deposits as they help spread the cost (a little !) but it's the non-refundable nature that I find troubling. Recently I wanted to change the method of payment for an order and the only way appeared to be to cancel it and immediately re-order over the phone, after doing this I realised I'd lost 2 deposits and on checking I was told they were non-refundable. After complaining I was offered store credit which I'm not actually sure I ever received. Since this I've been nervous of the non-refundable deposits and hope that Rails either make them refundable or switch back to no deposits, otherwise I'll have to either not pre-order or use other retailers. 

Dave

My guess would be they've had lots of pre-orders cancelled for items and as you can imagine can be costly when your buying in 10+ models as I'm sure Rails would be. The fact it's non-refundable is designed to act as a deterrent for cancelling the order, a few other model shops do this.  

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
13 minutes ago, Shaun66 said:

My guess would be they've had lots of pre-orders cancelled for items and as you can imagine can be costly when your buying in 10+ models as I'm sure Rails would be. The fact it's non-refundable is designed to act as a deterrent for cancelling the order, a few other model shops do this.  

I could understand this on custom, made to order items, but 'catalogue' items, I'd be looking elsewhere 

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)
17 minutes ago, Shaun66 said:

The fact it's non-refundable is designed to act as a deterrent for cancelling the order

Buying unseen carries risks given the variable quality of what is released. One of the key arguments in favour of pre-ordering is that the large retailers didn't take any money and let you cancel. So this change from a significant player would be significant.

Edited by Hal Nail
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
15 minutes ago, Hal Nail said:

Buying unseen carries risks given the variable quality of what is released. One of the key arguments in favour of pre-ordering is that the large retailers didn't take any money and let you cancel. So this change from a significant player would be significant.

It is also legally highly dubious in so far as the distance selling regulations and the non-return of deposits, especially on items that are likely to sell out and therefore not “cost” Rails anything.

Bad news, and I shall order elsewhere now. 

Roy

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)

Looking over pre-orders of Bachmann locos over £200…. It seems its only yesterdays stuff it applies to (25,03, Jinty)

31’s, A1, 5XP, 44,45,46 etc all are not asking for a deposit.

It could be a mistake, or it could be a change of policy, but that its happened means its in front of someones mind.

Edited by adb968008

2 hours ago, Shaun66 said:

This only seems to be on the sound and sound fitted deluxe versions, obviously my previous post is just an opinion as to why they have done it. 

Hello,

I just tried to pre-order a non sound fitted Jinty (at £114) and that required a £30 deposit too so it's not just sound fitted items.

Dave

2 minutes ago, bmb5dnp1 said:

Hello,

I just tried to pre-order a non sound fitted Jinty (at £114) and that required a £30 deposit too so it's not just sound fitted items.

Dave

I did only take a quick look and only went through the Class 25s.

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Graham_Muz said:

The Distance Selling Regulations 2000 are quite clear in that you are entitled to FULL refund which includes any deposits (or whatever a retailer might call them) paid. 

Yes but why bother pre-ordering at all ?

Theres no advantage, only potential to lose.

its not as if were looking at hot cakes, and the oven is full of cakes, indeed the neighbours oven is too… theres hot cakes everywhere.

All to often after a month or two they go cold.

Wait and see, buy it on its merits.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

Yes but why bother pre-ordering at all ?

its not as if were looking at hot cakes, and the oven is full of cakes, indeed the neighbours oven is too… theres hot cakes everywhere.

All to often after a month or two they go cold.

I think there is a minority of models for which a pre-order is a necessary precaution. I was glad I signed up early for the Kernow railmotor, for example, because they flew out of the door on release. But bread-and-butter models, made in larger batches, do not need that - and you may even get a better price elsewhere on release.

• Agree 4

Hi,

There was an error on a couple of listings which caused the deposit icon to be displayed. 

This has now been removed. No deposit were taken for the Class 25 locomotives.

We only take deposits on our exclusive products and not general run releases.

Sorry for the confusion. 

Kind Regards

Oliver @ Rails.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 5
  • Informative/Useful 5

58 minutes ago, Oliver Rails said:

Hi,

There was an error on a couple of listings which caused the deposit icon to be displayed. 

Sorry for the confusion. 

Kind Regards

Oliver @ Rails.

Oliver,

Thanks for the update and the good news !

Dave

• RMweb Gold
On 02/05/2024 at 04:54, Oliver Rails said:

Hi,

Sorry for the confusion. 

Kind Regards

Oliver @ Rails.

I am afraid the bug is still there - I am unable to pre- order two EFE fish vans. It asks for a deposit but doesnt specify an amount nor can I enter an amount (assuming I wish to when the final price is unconfirmed and the deposits are marked non-refundable)

I live in Canada but that should not be an issue?

Puzzled in Vancouver

John Dew

• RMweb Gold
On 03/05/2024 at 23:42, john dew said:

I am afraid the bug is still there - I am unable to pre- order two EFE fish vans. It asks for a deposit but doesnt specify an amount nor can I enter an amount (assuming I wish to when the final price is unconfirmed and the deposits are marked non-refundable)

Puzzled in Vancouver

John Dew

My pre-order of a YOB crane yesterday asked for a £0 deposit. 

Roy

On 03/05/2024 at 23:42, john dew said:

Puzzled in Vancouver

John Dew

Just had a look at the Fish vans - non have a deposit on now - don't know if this was fixed after you posted or whether there is some misconception over what a deposit is.

For pre-orders it will clearly show on the product page

image.png.c4d7b36b3049ffd74568018e945a6e0d.png  or image.png.6d3ef61b187836668c2ac297c475a48d.png

if it states no deposit when you go to pre order checkout it will show you

image.png.65f4ff357ae61fb41ab83a5c8965dea6.png

Hope that helps, if you have any issues please post a link to the product and we can take a look.

Kind Regards Chris

Rails of Sheffield Ecommerce 

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Chris

I eventually worked out that I needed to provide my card details for eventual payment - it just wasnt super intuitive - all sorted now

John

Rails sometimes ask for a non-refundable deposit, sometimes not.  When they don;t you still have to go through the deposit payment ritual of paying them nothing in order to validate the credit card they will charge in due course (if it hasn't expired by then!)

From what I've seen the nil deposit is usually on models which are announced but the price is not yet fixed, although in this case they have been given an RRP.  They generally include the option to pass on any increase in price if the manufacturer moves the goalposts, with your retaining the right to cancel in these circumstances and get your deposit back.

I have had this on their KR lines.

I guess this to avoid the "oh I want that" and then later people see on line reviews (i;e forums) or simply cannot afford it, change their minds and the shop is stuck with it.

This allows the shop to see how many people are serious about the pre-order to ensure that their factory orders meet real demand.

I am surprised that more shops, especially smaller ones which cannot easily afford to sit on unsold stock do not already do this.

Perso, I pre-order things that I definitely want, and the nice to haves waiting...