GWR Light & Dark Stone

LaScala

For GWR cream I use Halfords sandlewood beige when spraying and humbrol beige 121 when hand painting. As foe the chocolate brown I mix anything that looks like it which is generally a drop of black mixed in with brown. As for GWR stone, well I just stick to 'chocolate and cream' - and it seems to work.

The thing to remember is that station buildings etc were not painted chocolate and cream in GWR days, that was a BR(WR) innovation. GWR light and dark stone were quite different (as shown by the samples in David Bigcheeseplant's post.

I'm adding this post just for the record - not being a GW modeller, I'm certainly no expert (wrong side of the country).

London Underground have recently introduced the S stock trains to the H&C line, which meant a number of platform extensions and other building refurbishments. Latimer Road station was one of these; it was closed for a while for the refurb. On the day before re-opening, I had to attend a radio fault there, and was talking to the building contracter head of works. He showed me round the repainted station, which had been done in GWR colours. He personally had done extensive research to get the colours right, or so he told me. Might be worth someone on here who is more GWR minded to take a look?

Stewart

The thing to remember is that station buildings etc were not painted chocolate and cream in GWR days, that was a BR(WR) innovation. GWR light and dark stone were quite different (as shown by the samples in David Bigcheeseplant's post.

I read somewhere the GWR was intending or actually started painting its stations all-over cream with some brown parts, possibly doors. This was after the war and before BR adopted those colours for the Western Region. If this came about, it is likely the important main stations in need of repaint got it first.

Stephen Williams' Great Western Branch Line Modelling has I think been referenced earlier in this thread.  It prompted me to dig out my copy and Part 2, pages 71 and 72, make interesting reading.  My version is 1991 and I have no idea whether this has been revised since, or even if it is still available from Wild Swan.  Stephen obviously did a lot of research on GWR colours including mentioning that paint was locally mixed to colour charts - this may or may not have subsequently been refuted, however the possibly relevant aspect is that the base colours were white lead and iron oxide.  Whether mixed locally or by a paint supply company the GWR colour charts would have been the same and probably the base colours also the same.  Although my somewhat ancient GWR layout used Precision B109 (No 1) and B110 (No 3) if doing it again I might be tempted to experiment just using those two base colours.

290zjev.jpg

2uz8h1z.jpg

The extract is from the Railway Magazine regarding the post war GWR station colours, Chocolate and three shades of stone.

John Reed who supplied the GWR stone paint samples after reading the Railway Magazine went to Ealing to see for himself and created the attached drawings of Ealing and other stations colours. By the time he got to the Ealing the red and white signs in the article had been removed.

John lives just down the road from me and has provided notes. diaries and photos. He took an interest in liveries as he said nobody else at the time seemed to be. So I think his first hand accounts and notes seem the best we are likely to get.

David

One thing I forgot to mention was when I spoke to John Reed he thought the new shades of stone colour were not the same as the previous stone colours.

I suggest if interested in GWR colours the GWSG book GWR structure colours from official sources is well worth getting. Standard tint No. 4 was originally chocolate but was changed to the maroon brown shade in the 1930s I will have to check the book to find the exact date. Prior to 1920 chocolate brown was painted on doors window frames and sashes, see the GWR poster board and early structure colours thread.

David

I've found the website I was referring to :

http://www.stationcolours.info/index.php?p=1_5_GWR

As you scroll down the page there are pictures of official GWR letters giving instructions on signal box painting and the colours to be used.

Scroll further down and you get information on just about how every thing belonging to GWR should be painted and the colours used.

• 4 months later...

I've found the website I was referring to :

http://www.stationcolours.info/index.php?p=1_5_GWR

As you scroll down the page there are pictures of official GWR letters giving instructions on signal box painting and the colours to be used.

Scroll further down and you get information on just about how every thing belonging to GWR should be painted and the colours used.

A bump for this thread to ask if light stone was used on a fire bucket stand in GWR days.I want to paint the excellent Dart Casting stand.

attachicon.gifDSCN7451.jpg

Unfortunately no mention in the referenced GWR painting instruction even for the sand buckets let alone the stand. Obviously the buckets were red, the stand, presumably made of timber, perhaps should be white with the metal brackets black - this matches the crossing gates instructions.

• 1 month later...

Sorry to bring up this delicate subject again, but in the next few days I need to print overlays for a broad gauge era station building and train shed. Can anyone recommend, or just suggest, suitable RGB or CMYK colour codes to use for light and dark stone? I know the final result will depend on the printer, but I need to start somewhere! The whole thing will be coloured on my laser printer, and I won't be using any paint.

Hi John you may want to wade through this thread http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/66040-gwr-poster-boards-and-early-structure-colours/

In the broad gauge period there was plenty of chocolate paint being used, on all aspects of doors and windows including the sashes. No idea what print colour can be used for the three shades of stone, I always think the Pheonix paints colours are the best match.

David

• 2 months later...

Archived