RMweb

Rannoch Moor

MRDBLUE17

Hi James/Mike,

I might bring the cottage to the stand and my OTA's and 156 project. Along with a couple of the Rannoch fleet for sound fitting including 37416 that Andi did for me. Then Ayr with the whole layout so you won't have far to go to see it James.

Mike it will be nice to meet you at the show - your train certainly sounds intersting and one I am looking forward to seeing and even better if its running on Rannoch! Will you make it to Ayr for a play then?

Thanks,

Mark

Certainly hoping to make it to Ayr one of the two days. We did meet briefly at Bonnybridge when Jamie first exhibited Culreoch there (2010?).

Andi's got something long and maroon to visit the layout so I'll bring along matching locos to top and tail it. :) He's had a long-standing project with me to do the Royal Scotsman (8 out of the 9 carriages. At the moment the ex-LNER one isn't available RTR so that's for a later date). I'm really looking forward to seeing it, particularly the observation coach but I'll have to wait till Ayr!

Sorry had forgotten about Bonnybridge - Hope you can make Ayr as that will be a fantastic train to appear on the layout and you will be most welcome to have a play - it will certainly overhang the platform but the large rear loop will hold it although block the next road so with some careful positioning it will all be fine. I take it you have some WCRC locos to match? Certainly bring whatever you like to run with it. I have 516 and 676 both Andi's excellent work although 676 still needs to go over to DCC!

thanks,

Mark

I've got 37401 in EWS Imperial Purple (maroon) which Andi did for me, plus the RTR Heljan 33207 and Heljan twin pack of 37712 and 47760 in West Coast maroon.

37401's DCC chipped but the others need chipping and detailing, so I'll make sure they're done before Ayr (or at least 33207)! Would love to have a play, so looking forward to Ayr!

Edited by sixoh8sixoh

Hi Everyone,

It's been a while since my last update - trying to be good and get on with things as I really want to get the south end finished as much as possible by the end of this month. There will be small details to add over time but the main features should all be more or less complete. The main feature to complete is the cottage converted from the old Hornby thatched cottage kit. The front has been altered to look like a Scottish cottage with a new door, the etched frame was a spare from the etch Pete Harvey did for me and the windows built from plastic strip. The roof line has been altered to create a point at the top of the ridge and a new slate roof added from wills sheets the building just being the right length! The extension part has been built on at the rear and I have modernised the old cottage at the rear with the patio doors and modern double glazed unit with an open window. Some new facia boards and gable end timbers have been added from 2mm strip. Onto these U channel brackets have been added with some 1.5mm semi circle strip for guttering. The down pipes will be added using 1.2 mm diameter rod and some strip for wall brackets. The gable end has a new chimney stack from wills stone sheet with a chimney from plastic square section with notches cut in the top. The roof also has a new stone chimney stack with 2 small pots added. The cement render to cap these is shaped from some old bits of white tack. The photos show the work so far with the javis blue grey base layer added to the roof slates which I have then slapped on to undercoat the areas of bare plastic which will eventually have a nice blue shade from the humbrol range added.

post-6863-0-81164900-1328648246_thumb.jpg

post-6863-0-71165700-1328648280_thumb.jpg

post-6863-0-11627500-1328648303_thumb.jpg

post-6863-0-50460500-1328648327_thumb.jpg

post-6863-0-14112400-1328648349_thumb.jpg

Thanks for looking and feel free to ask any questions or post comments

Carl - thanks again for sharing your photos, great for the small details and look forward to seeing you at Glasgow. For those of you coming to the show please come and say hello - we will be in the extra Hall this year on Stand A8 and A13 as the Scottish Modellers crowd so hope to see those I know and some new faces from here over the 3 days!

All the best,

Mark

i will be there saturday and sunday, just hope there will be room for C Princess on the stand...lol

We'll make room for that Carl - looking forward to seeing it! I'll have my sound chips fitted on the Friday and they'll be in service on Mikes layout if all goes to plan! Might not have the wing mirrors fitted by then but you never know!

Mark

she is 50 inches long, so i hope so, you staying in glasgow?

Edited by carl1967

Hi Everyone,

The following photos might come as a bit of a suprise to you but Rannoch has gone blue!

post-6863-0-60069800-1328820522_thumb.jpg

post-6863-0-14315300-1328820550_thumb.jpg

post-6863-0-46754700-1328820575_thumb.jpg

post-6863-0-40983800-1328820597_thumb.jpg

I know I'm far too early for April the 1st to get away with this one! These two Caley locos actually belong to my father in law as from time to time he finds the odd railway items which I clean up and service for him to sell on. I'm not sure of the origin of these as they are kit/scratch built brass and whitemetal construction. Both run without any work and have decent motors and brass gears with good pick ups as well. Being tender locos I can tell they have been run well in one direction on a layout in the past. I have been slow to do anything with them as they make a nice change to look at next to work bench. Sadly not being DCC they won't be running on Rannoch whilst the 4-4-0 could cope with the layouts sharp curves the Cardean certainly can't being close coupled to the tender and not much play in the driving wheels. Shame as soon as they are serviced they will be off my hands and sold on but thought you might like to see them anyway as I havn't come across these loco types before.

Carl - no not staying over will be travelling through each day to the show.

Thanks,

Mark

• Like 1

Hi Everyone,

The weekend and some finishing touches tonight has seen the cottage conversion from the Hornby thatched kit into something a little more rural Scottish has been completed. With the additions of some down pipes with brackets to mount it off the wall, the lead flashing from tamiya masking tape painted and cut into strips and the glazing done using Klear and the blister pack from wills sheets including the open window which was a real pain to do but worth it. I have a tin with scrap brass from etches etc it always comes in handy but every so often I will come up with a stupid idea to make something just to see if I can create the silly idea that has come to mind. I have added a letterbox, door handle and brass knocker to the front door of the cottage. Why when you won't see this I don't know! Pointless as the wife has contributed!

I also finally got around to ordering a few bits from Pete Harvey's excellent range. Details of which will appear on here as and when the various fleet members get them. I have started with the easiest of the detailing parts with the false seasts painted and added to my 150 power car. Simple but effective and I am pleased with the effect it creates as it does improve the look of the bare chassis block. Also great service confirmation of my order processed and items arrived the next day! So thanks Pete!

Hope you like it and if you want a closer look I'll have it on the Scottish Modellers stand at Glasgow - it will be small next to Carl's fine ship!

post-6863-0-97080000-1329179542_thumb.jpg

post-6863-0-75580800-1329179559_thumb.jpg

post-6863-0-30727500-1329179594_thumb.jpg

post-6863-0-82541400-1329179710_thumb.jpg

post-6863-0-88274600-1329179616_thumb.jpg

post-6863-0-04674800-1329179650_thumb.jpg

post-6863-0-12441400-1329179690_thumb.jpg

post-6863-0-16018800-1329179731_thumb.jpg

post-6863-0-65209400-1329179753_thumb.jpg

post-6863-0-57146000-1329179801_thumb.jpg

Thanks,

Mark

• Like 4

Hi Everyone,

More of the boring work has been done on the layout but as before the boring jobs are essential! I have fitted the metal dowels to the other end with the viaduct section although I did have to prise the front scenic sections as I have managed to glue them together! Soon sorted and now I can ensure the fidle yard track work is aligned better. With the boards apart I also painted the top edges of the scenic section at the south end between the joints to help hide it as much as possible. I am also working on the garden for the cottage at the south end and my shopping list for Glasgow keeps growing as I hope to get most of the bits I need to finish the layout.

I will be on the Scottish Modellers stand for the weekend so come along and say hello as it will be nice to meet up in person for a change!

All the best,

Mark

Hi Mark

Going through some slides and found this one, 37406 at Rannoch, I think! On the 14/08/92. We were just at the start of doing the Skye ring, Glasgow QS – Fort Bill, Fort Bill- Malliag, ferry to Skye, a bus on Skye for another ferry to Kyle, Kyle- Inverness. Inverness Glasgow QS, 426miles!.

At this time, the only way of doing this epic trip in 24 hours was to suffer the Inverness- Glasgow, overnight, 6 hours on a 158 sprinter, but the rest 37 haulage.

Garypost-7480-0-97379500-1330116002_thumb.jpg

Edited by sixteen 12by 10s
  • Like 1

Hi everyone,

Gary - thanks for sharing that photo its superb and I notice the blue sky is as blue as my backscene - in all my search for building Rannoch I have only seen one other that is as blue and sunny as my model so it is realistic after all just not very often! Really nice photo and also the first time I have seen those ballast wagons on a working as well. 406 is still running as well and suprisingly its EWS paint scheme is better than its shabby worn look back then!

Lmsforever - it was good to meet you to at the show - glad you enjoyed it as it was fun over the 3 days we were there!

Carl - that looks excellent really big improvement and much more realistic - I would like to do my first liveried one at some point first although my Saltire liveried unit will also need done as I think Bachmann captured that really well. Nice to see your ship - the level of detail and realism is just outstanding - it was certainly popular juding by how many people stopped to have a good look!

Hopefully see you at Perth if I get time off for good behaviour!

All the best,

Mark

Hi Everyone,

Just finished filling the Hoover with polystyrene bits. I have been busy on the viaduct board at the north end which has seen a fairly major re shape take place and the in fill sections of the banking around the actual viaduct structure. I was never really happy with the shape of it and having seen photos and also the excellent portchullin at glasgow wanted the hill to raise up above board level behind the bridge to give more depth. It should allow more trees to be planted and also the effect of the valley which the line follows up through the clouds. The bridge itself has almost seen the painting completed. Just the last quarter of the handrails need a second coat to finish. The real thing was only painted in the last few years so the fresh paint should be realistic and contrast with the old stone pillars when they get done. I'll try and add some photos when I get more time.

All the best

Mark

Well I have had little time on my hands since or bundle of fun came along, but I still drop by now and then. I'm glad I do because this is looking real good and I'm looking forward to Ayr as I did not go to Glasgow this year. Decided to restore our roof instead as the temptation of buying some new locos would have pushed me over the edge. lol

Hi Mark,

I knew I hadn't seen you and wondered if you were too busy with the family. Ayr will be good just hope the layout is finished the way I want it to be! Look forward to seeing you then. Your right about costs I spent far too much at Glasgow the black 5 tipped me over the edge!

Hope you still get some time for your modelling

All the best

Mark

Mark & Phil,

If I made it I would have been over for a chat. I nearly jumpy on a train on the Saturday afternoon but thought better of it as I would have came back with 3-4 more locos. Hay ho, the roof does look good though. Pity it shows up the rendering, that's the next thing on the list to do.