Unidentified location

Blandford1969

I have to say that when I found this post, about half an hour ago - my immediate reaction was the same as Petes - East Anglia, Essex/SE Cambs/Herts border, and that it was one of the minor lines in the Kelvedon/Tollesbury or Audley End area. However I bow to members who have taken the trouble to delve much further - n interesting post!

• RMweb Premium

I have to say that when I found this post, about half an hour ago - my immediate reaction was the same as Petes - East Anglia, Essex/SE Cambs/Herts border, and that it was one of the minor lines in the Kelvedon/Tollesbury or Audley End area. However I bow to members who have taken the trouble to delve much further - n interesting post!

As an East Anglian born and bred I can assure you that it is nowhere near this area. Around here the hill in the background would be considered a mountain on par with Everest! The station building (in both photographs) would be considered posh, on such lines the GER presented us with an old carriage body if we were lucky.

• RMweb Premium

I'd forgotten the Wignall one. I got mine for £1 on a stall at the SVR Gala! and I think it's long out of print. I tend not to use it because I find the layout a bit confusing. The other one that I forgot to mention, and that I DO use a lot is the Pre-Grouping Railway Junction Diagrams 1914- this gets over the problems that Ian mentioned.

Whichever you use, the place you need is aways either right on the edge or down the bloody crack!!

Ed

Unfortunately the Junction Diagrams 1914 are only a limited selection of the many junctions around!

Others available that I can think of are the "Atlas of The GWR 1947" by R.A. Cooke (White Swan) it's just that, every nook and cranny of the GWR including sidings and industrial connections. Single & multiple tracks are shown and joint lines.

There is "Midland Railway System Maps: The Distance Diagrams", published by Peter Kay in 5 parts, again every nook and cranny including joint lines and lots of info on changes to sidings etc. The maps are taken from the superb official MR sheets.

I too have Col. Cobb's Atlas, it was a present - and greatly appreciated.

Keith

As an East Anglian born and bred I can assure you that it is nowhere near this area. Around here the hill in the background would be considered a mountain on par with Everest! The station building (in both photographs) would be considered posh, on such lines the GER presented us with an old carriage body if we were lucky.

I've decided to build a station with half a platform and a wooden "outhouse" (complete with old newpaper and a 1960 edition of "Spick and Span") and that's it! Pure luxury...

Best, Pete.

If you want a FREE detailed map of English and Welsh railways try http://www.systemed....ilway_Atlas.pdf It is work in progress, so far up to York on the east coast and Liverpool on the west, but you can zoom in and see all the names of stations, both open and closed.

Thanks for that link, it's a brilliant map.

It's a bit out of date already though, must be a pain to try to keep work already done on it up to date - things have changed since the South Wales bit was done, quite a few passenger lines are shown in red, which I think is supposed to denote freight only routes (Swansea district line, VOG, Ebbw Vale).

Its the Reception sidings at Cockenzie Power Station near Prestonpans; by an extraordinary coincidence I have just scanned a B&W negative of this location this morning!

Ernie

Amazing.

When was that photo taken? The rails look well used compared to the rust when I took mine, which was 24th April 1990.

Amazing.

When was that photo taken? The rails look well used compared to the rust when I took mine, which was 24th April 1990.

Probably ca 1985 - 1986 I have been scanning all my old negs with a view to adding more on fotopic. Prestonpans used to have a regular 'trade' in 26's on coal to Cockenzie and coal from Blindwells opencast a mile or so to the east. More on this collection:

http://rniescottishailwayrchive.fotopic.net/c819139.html

Ernie

Probably ca 1985 - 1986 I have been scanning all my old negs with a view to adding more on fotopic. Prestonpans used to have a regular 'trade' in 26's on coal to Cockenzie and coal from Blindwells opencast a mile or so to the east. More on this collection:

http://rniescottishailwayrchive.fotopic.net/c819139.html

Ernie

Thanks for that link Ernie. There are some great photos on there. I never managed to get to Scotland as often as I would have liked, but in April 1990 I was with a friend who still needed to see 26002. It was his last 26/27.

We were told that Millerhill was the place to go, and we spent many hours there with no success, so started to look at the atlas and see places where it might be working, and drove around for ages trying to get to these destinations. We were very disappointed to find the sidings out of use, but I liked the symmetry of the pointwork so took the photo.

It would make a good basis for a model, as it is relatively compact and not too complex.

We eventually found 26002 at Leith Docks, so my mate was happy at last.

John

John

• RMweb Premium

Hi All,

Sorry i've not been able to look for a while to see the replies and everytime i tried my wife daid your not on that RM Web again.

Anyway thanks for helping identify the location. I will dig out another neg with no details, I'll try and go for an easier one next time, well easier for someone else.

Kind regards and thanks again for all your help and suggestions

Duncan

• 3 weeks later...

For those who think it is Wilsontown here is a picture of it there was far more going on there than you have in in the original. When I first looked at it I thought LNWR then light railway Northamptonshire and SMJ sprang to mind, but the building in the background looks stone construction which leads me to the North whether in Scotland or the North I don't know but keep posting ideas and I will check thenm out

post-9984-018435100 1286136637_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

If you look at the 1958/59 1:2500 ordnance survey map of Wilsontown station the sidings went the opposite way to those in the photograph. This hasn't changed since the 1911 version of that map.

When this was discussed in August, it was generally accepted that the photo in the original post was reversed and that the version shown in post number58 in this topic was the correct orientation. Compare that to the layout of the sidings in the OS map and to the 1920s photo that you linked to a couple of posts back - you'll see they fit very well.

If you look on eBay by searching Wilsontown there is a photograph for sale which shows much more detail. It is again from the signalbox end and it shows a better view of the station which I have to admit does look like the mystery photo. It shows a strikingly similar goods yard crane and the inverted 'v' telegraph poles. I also discovered from searching the web that photos of Wilsontown station are also available to purchase from the Transport Treasury which seem to be reasonably priced. There are at least 3 photos in the Norris Forrest collection of the station. I suspect these would establish the position conclusively.

• 1 month later...

Hi all, I think it is Wilsontown and if I might add some local knowledge, I know the guy who's father bought and removed at least part of the station building. A friend from years ago grew up on the farm near Gleghorn level crossing (near Lanark) and this is where I spotted an outhouse that I said was like a station building, the father said it was the old Wilsontown station building, he heard it was to be demolished so offered to take it away as it was in too good a condition to be destroyed, I think he said it was less than 40 years old. I don't know if I've still got the phone numbers and in any case the father would be long gone now but next time I'm out that way (25mls) I'll have a look and maybe take a photo. The story of a replacement building does fit the previous postings though.

Dave.

fra bonny Lanarkshire, as someone has already said.

Archived