Adventures in code 55

Gloucester Road

Had some time to myself this evening after boys went to bed.

The Station pub is almost ready for its grand opening, interior design folks are supposed to show up soon and finish off the bar and seating area.

Real ale will be served judging by the sign.

post-7403-0-13351200-1377399192_thumb.jpg

Stephen

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

As promised the roofers showed up and finished of the station roof and it is now complete and open for business. Signage and people have started to show up.

My history of the building has it as a former BR station (hence the signage) that was closed and fell into disrepair as the surrounding area fell on hard times. Now as industry and folks move back into the town the station has been rebuilt and is back in business with a bit of its former history evident. Hopefully as the financial prospects of folks increase the houses down the road will be finished and sold.

Hopefully my financial/job prospects change soon too... Oh well back to playing trains.

post-7403-0-31775200-1378239748_thumb.jpg

post-7403-0-72446900-1378239779_thumb.jpg

post-7403-0-98919600-1378239807_thumb.jpg

Stephen

• Like 2

Had a bit of a play today.

As it is weekend fuel is usually delivered by EWS under the care of 60054 however today when the driver showed up it was declared a "failure" so a call was put out for help GBRf responded and sent 66705.

It was caught having left after the fuel was off loaded and the TTAs were emptied

post-7403-0-12645400-1378600507_thumb.jpg

66705 was supposed to be taking care of track cleaning today. So once the empties were returned to the yard it returned to pick up my atlas track cleaner. And then spent some time running around the freight lines and then the mainlines, it was all given a good clean.

post-7403-0-98707800-1378600569_thumb.jpg

post-7403-0-66636900-1378600653_thumb.jpg

This was done just in time as a special was running today pulled by a Castle. I managed to catch up as it meet its modern partner in the station.

post-7403-0-84901600-1378600738_thumb.jpg

post-7403-0-59765600-1378600836_thumb.jpg

Stephen

Edited by Gloucester Road
  • Like 7

• 2 weeks later...

Bit of a mixed update.

My unemployment has come to an end. Tomorrow im off to Wichita KS for training in the King Air 350, it will be best part of two weeks. Trains and rolling stock have been put away and no modelling in the near future.

Glad to have a job. However it is headquarted 200 miles away and they want you at the HQ, so a move is in the future.

The move will put us closer to family as well which is good. Having looked at the layout it was built in four sections and sort of transportable so wont have to cause much damage to it. All of that is down the road a bit though.

At the moment im looking forward to learning a new plane and generating some income.

Stephen.

• Like 5

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

After over a month of being away for training I was finally able to put some trains back on the track. Whilst away I had sent my class 08 and 47 off for servicing, they returned and had the privilege off being the first run.

The track was given a good clean and then locos were run. Felt so good to see the trains running again.

The new plane and then the trains.

post-7403-0-47905400-1383004884_thumb.jpg

post-7403-0-63195600-1383004927_thumb.jpg

post-7403-0-15680300-1383004958_thumb.jpg

Stephen

• Like 9

• 2 weeks later...

Bit of a sad day. Though a house move is still some months away one of the rooms that needs a new coat of paint is the train room, so ive been packing up stock into their original boxes and loading into plastic bins. Interesting getting out the original boxes, lots from Hattons, but also Bourton Model Railway and various other shops from towns visited over the years.

Also sat down with pictures that i took during construction to see just how much damage will be done during disassembly. There are four boards, which have track joints fairly close to them, so track should be ok. The big station sits over a joint but hopefully the town area will lift off, the only reall area of concern is the grass hill on the right. This will have to be cut as it sits along a joint.

Really not looking forward to this bit.

Stephen

• 3 weeks later...

Life has thrown us another curve ball. The house move has been put on hold (maybe indefinitely), which is a good thing for the layout. However, as we had started to pack, it is now a question of sorting and unpacking in our own house. We have started to attack some of the things that the realator had suggested in order to increase the price had we sold. Most of the items were on our list of things we wanted to do anyway so it will be nice to knock some of those items off our "10" year plan

The layout is safe, so I spent today relaying ballast in the areas that had been prepared for cutting . With the layout staying in its cuttent location the list of things i want to accomplish on it can start again! Hopefully updates will commence as these projects get underway.

Stephen

• Like 2

So do you still have to move to be close to HQ in your new job? Myself, I would be tempted to dismantle the boards now and then reassemble them with mobility in mind for any future move. (And lets face it, we will definitely move from our current residences at some point in our lives.)

So do you still have to move to be close to HQ in your new job? Myself, I would be tempted to dismantle the boards now and then reassemble them with mobility in mind for any future move. (And lets face it, we will definitely move from our current residences at some point in our lives.)

Weve gone to a 6 on 3 off schedule, no longer required to be within two hours. On day 1 and 6 its a three hour drive to and from home and the other days spent flying the plane. Really the only advantage to moving at this point would be a shorter drive.

• 2 weeks later...

70006 has finally arrived at Gloucester Road, she was purchased as a gift to myself for passing my King Air type ride. However when she arrived she was a failure, back to Bachmann she went, only to arrive the other day and upon testing was deemed a failure again.

Before sending her back again help was sought here and thanks to helpful advice (thanks roundhouse) she is up and running. Spent a couple hours running in this morning on Gloucester Road MKI and then she was pressed into service 6 empty pca from the cement plant.

The model really seems to capture the "character" and look of the original and the gentle weathering gives that new but used look.

post-7403-0-85219300-1386624890_thumb.jpg

post-7403-0-21021900-1386624921_thumb.jpg

post-7403-0-10845300-1386624942_thumb.jpg

post-7403-0-95944000-1386624968_thumb.jpg

Stephen

• Like 5