Adventures in code 55

Gloucester Road

So after doing some shunting last night my class 08 seized up. Spent this morning taking it apart using the exploded diagram, appears some gears and pickups have gone so will need to source\bodge some repairs. It has a tiny little motor.

post-7403-0-68413100-1371837909_thumb.jpg

Then did one more YGH from a picture found in a book, both sides shown.

post-7403-0-45595600-1371837984_thumb.jpg

post-7403-0-65638100-1371838023_thumb.jpg

Same technigue was used as yesterday, however i really wanted to up the rust effect and turn this into an old abused wagon.

Stephen

Edited by Gloucester Road
  • Like 3

Thanks Ian, brlines is the goto place for spares. I found some gears from older locos that seem to work, however it still isnt running correctly so im looking at the pickups. Might have to see if i can bodge some from the spares box ive collected over the years. But thats is going to have to wait for another day.

I have been informed by my current employer, that all the pilots are furloughed indefinitely. Please return company property and ID badges. This one sounds a bit more permanent than the last one back in October last year. So it appears my six years of flying the piaggio have come to an end.

"All jobs in aviation are temporary,some just last longer than others"

So inbetween job hunting lets see how much modeling we can get done.

Stephen

Likely you will stand more chance of further employment than the vast majority of people at the moment. Not many people can fly a plane - relatively speaking.

Good luck all the same.

In the meantime, enjoy working on the layout - we shall certainly enjoy the progress updates. :)

• Like 1

Likely you will stand more chance of further employment than the vast majority of people at the moment. Not many people can fly a plane - relatively speaking.

Good luck all the same.

In the meantime, enjoy working on the layout - we shall certainly enjoy the progress updates. :)

There are oportunities out there its is just a matter of finding ones that offer quality of life and pay you can live on with a family of four.

Between jobs hunts and calls to unemployment office did some weatheing. My rake of YGH and brake van are complete.

YGH

post-7403-0-71884400-1372473201_thumb.jpg

Brake van and YGH

post-7403-0-65794700-1372473267_thumb.jpg

post-7403-0-77055300-1372473291_thumb.jpg

Stephen

• Like 9

• 1 month later...

Well my unemployment continues. Having applied to major US Airlines and some corporate carriers am now waiting to hear from somebody who thinks my 10,000 hours of flying and twenty years of aviation experience is worth something. Have also considered going into other fields all together, so...

With my summer "vacation" and job hunting taking up most of my free time I've had very little time to model. However as I now seem to be playing a waiting game, shorter days and the idea of starting my own

Business some modeling activity should be starting soon.

This does not mean that the trains have been neglected, we have had some good play sessions in between cv\resume writing

Class 67 sets off light loco having dropped off some ballast hoppers

post-7403-0-45946900-1375757916_thumb.jpg

Class 60 and 56 caught in the TMD area

post-7403-0-51980500-1375757972_thumb.jpg

And a class170

post-7403-0-69053000-1375758036_thumb.jpg

As I said I'm playing around with a business of my own to bring in some supplemental income once work starts for me again as it appears I won't have quite the income I did at Avantair. As this idea progress I'll post updates, however it will involve American railroads.

Stephen

• Like 4

I am a firm believer in the motto - more than one income. I am about to branch out into something on the side for a supplemental income as well. You just never know when the use by date on your current job happens. (I think mine happened about two years ago - mentally - I now find it harder and harder to be motivated about the same old stuff day in, day out.)

Here you go - a day job with Emirates flying A380s - https://www.emiratesgroupcareers.com/english/Careers_Overview/Pilot_Jobs/PilotJobs.aspx?intcid=Pilots_new_380_tcm401-1184885

So over the weekend I had some time to myself whilst the boys had friends over so I set off for the local hobby shop, had a nice chat with the owner purchased some bits and pieces and came home. While away the cats will play.

Now I've mentioned before that there is an oval of O track on the floor of the "train" room and my old layout is in there too and the boys and friends happily play with both not disturbing "Dad's " layout. However for whatever reason and through no fault of my boys or friend, they claim, my track was damaged. When said three suspects were stood in a row under lights :-) and questioned each swore that it was my other son whose name is "not me". My wife and I have come across "not me" several times since summer has started, he seems to get into quite some mischief; however for the life of us neither of us can remember producing another child called "not me". So my new purchase were put aside and track tearing up, laying new track and ballasting ensued. Could have used some of the new wagons made by bmthtrains :-)

Freightliner was awarded the contract for track renewal and work was under way. Angus Ltd and the ballast sidings were used to house the wagons with the old track

post-7403-0-90322000-1376268255_thumb.jpg

57003 then arrived and was loaded with the spent ballast

post-7403-0-77276800-1376268467_thumb.jpg

Then 66610 arrived with the new ballast

post-7403-0-97037200-1376268543_thumb.jpg

post-7403-0-25715500-1376268578_thumb.jpg

Once work was completed the locos took a well deserved rest and the track was as good as new

post-7403-0-19908800-1376269078_thumb.jpg

"Not me" has been informed he is not welcome in the train room :-). Let's see who the boys blame next time round.

Stephen.

• Like 6

Hi Stephen,

I have just caught up with your layout thread.  Those Sealions that you have weathered are really, really good :good: .... the use of those weathering powders (along with your modelling skill) has produced some excellent life-like looking wagons.

I'm sorry to hear about your current job situation, I shall keep my fingers crossed for you that something turns up soon. In the meantime, keep up with the superb modelling (and repair work) and please keep the pics coming.

Cheers

Lee

"Not me" has also paid a number of visits to our house over the past month whlst the girls are on School Holidays, I didn't realise that he actually existed and lived at your place - I'll know where to come next time he breaks stuff now... ;)

Nice to know we are not the only victim of "not me".

Hi Stephen,

I have just caught up with your layout thread.  Those Sealions that you have weathered are really, really good :good: .... the use of those weathering powders (along with your modelling skill) has produced some excellent life-like looking wagons.

I'm sorry to hear about your current job situation, I shall keep my fingers crossed for you that something turns up soon. In the meantime, keep up with the superb modelling (and repair work) and please keep the pics coming.

Cheers

Lee

Thank you for the kind words.

Slightly different idea tonight.

As my unemployment continues I've been looking at other things I enjoy doing; cycling and model trains are top of the list. So I've played with the idea of doing cycling tours here in NH and building small and/or modular custom layouts. I'm under no illusion of making a living but some additional income once work resumes.

So Kato track, a starter set and lumber was purchased. I went with Kato track as it snaps together sort of how I envision modules doing. Also if layouts were for kids the track might prove a bit more durable and play friendly.

Following 'n track' and 't trak' guidelines I put four modules together.

post-7403-0-12936500-1376355497_thumb.jpg

They do snap together very well; my boys, 7 and 10 have been able to assemble the layout with ease. There is a quarter of an inch gap between the modules to aid in snapping together of the scenes, this can be covered by my static grass mats.

post-7403-0-78006900-1376355818_thumb.jpg

THere is a rough drop on oval backscene.

post-7403-0-65964400-1376355967_thumb.jpg

Pop out a module and drop in another one, this one will be enclosed in a diorama fashion with bridge across a stream/river.

post-7403-0-76579300-1376356124_thumb.jpg

Now one complaint with Kato track is the shiny look and unrealistic look, but with some weathering and paint it doesn't look bad. Here are from back to front plain, black weathered, and rust weathered. Dont think it looks to bad.

post-7403-0-83911800-1376356245_thumb.jpg

So will work on these along with my main layout and see how it goes.

Stephen

• Like 1

Whilst working on a module, see my new thread,  some bushes grew behind what will become shops and then the roofers finally showed up for the corner shop on Gloucester Road

Took about an hour to cut out the strips and glue them on but it does make a world of difference. Now just

need to finish off the front and interior.

post-7403-0-38645300-1376449532_thumb.jpg

post-7403-0-03511500-1376449565_thumb.jpg

Stephen

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

This layout just gets better and better - those last few shots really do look like OO gauge, fantastic.

All the best with the job hunt - cycle tours sounds like a great idea!

Edited by njee20
  • Like 1