New Hornby 28xx / 38xx

Garry D100

I say its a nightmare all the different permatations.Thats a cracking shot Rob.I'm waiting for the shirtbutton version.

Certainly is the quintessence of English industrial power about a century ago, and more recently, if you can call 1934 recent!

Thanks for the compliment.

Rob

• RMweb Premium

Very nice Rob - I can't even get one of the transit brackets off the one I bought on Saturday - someone in China has a mighty powerful wrist or an interesting torque setting on his (her?) electric screwdriver :blink:

I can see the need for transit brackets in washing machines, but model railways?

My experience, when I finally got around to taking out Friday's purchase, was that it was like a very hard puzzle: removing the forward bracket lifted the plastic layer through which it was screwed, which then wouldn't screw back, leaving the brake shoes fouling the track.

Not necessarily a problem, thinks I; maybe switching the two bracket screws will make it work. So the rear screw goes in to the forward hole. Fine. However, while I'm trying to get the front screw into the rear socket, the frame comes apart from the firebox. Crack. Push them back together - seems OK.

Now the engine seems to run reasonably well, only that the pony truck wheel will rotate only intermittently.

The thing is, 2818 now has to stay on the layout for ever. With the fiddly little plug (which I despaired of attaching) it can never be separated from its tender and returned to the box. Still, at least it looks good.

Thanks Prometheus, your test certainly seems at odds to the Model Rail test which as they stated was done on a pre-production model (why did they not get a production model?). I know one swallow etc. but MR is read by a lot of people and to be fair they should follow their original test up with a production model if for nothing else to show that the problems they encountered have really been solved.. (Quote)

Sometimes we just have to go by what we're told. We were under the impression that this was a pre-pro model but its arrival in the office was only about 3 weeks before they started to appear in the shops. That suggests to me that it was simply from an advance batch, air-freighted in. Either way, there would not have been sufficient time for any alterations to be made to make production models any different from the one we tested.There is, therefore, no point in a re-test, although we may well carry out further tests on a '2884' if/when we get a sample. There will be always be variations between mass-produced models. It doesn't necessarily mean that one person's comment is 'right' and another is 'wrong' - the problems encountered may simply relate to an individual model which, perhaps, hasn't gone together quite in the prescribed fashion due to a tiny spot of flash or some other miniscule variation.

CHRIS LEIGH

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Chris It was MR that said it was probably a pre-production model in the article not me. Of course there could be a number of reasons why your test model did not perform and they are not necessarily representative of the model as a whole. Indeed the test by Prometheus appears to show that his 28XX pulled very well, but as you say one persons 'right' does not make anothers 'wrong', but I reiterate it was MR that said it was pre-production not me and a lot of people as you rightly say read MR and this could influence their decision about purchase. The only reason I said there should be a re-test is because this model may not be representative of the final production model. If you are saying that it is a production model then perhaps MR should say so in the next issue.

Although I already have three of the old Hornby 28XX, I succumbed to the temptations of the new 28XX (whilst awaiting the GWR liveried Castle, [:angry:]), I ordered one for my layout from an English retailer who dispatched it to me via standard post. Now, for some reason the local Customs decided that the description "toy train" was not sufficient and ripped the parcel apart, checked the contents, and roughly taped the parcel back together again AND charged me £4 for this "service"

I was naturally somewhat apprehensive when I opened the package - but the packaging design for this loco meant that although the end flaps had taken some damage the contents were undisturbed with no loose "rattles" when shook. I examined the model and all appears well (and I'll test it out this weekend). So I can't complain about the packaging, although I will bear in mind the comments made about the forward retaining brackets when finally removing them

I do agree with comments about the electrical linkage. OK, it does make for good pickup which will prevent poor running over problematic track, but it doesn't allow one to swap tenders around and the risk of fouling is quite high. Unfortunately, I don't know of a better method.

Now, what to do with my other 3 28XXs???

• RMweb Gold

Although I already have three of the old Hornby 28XX, I succumbed to the temptations of the new 28XX (whilst awaiting the GWR liveried Castle, [:angry:]), (snipped) I was naturally somewhat apprehensive when I opened the package - but the packaging design for this loco meant that although the end flaps had taken some damage the contents were undisturbed with no loose "rattles" when shook. I examined the model and all appears well (and I'll test it out this weekend). So I can't complain about the packaging, although I will bear in mind the comments made about the forward retaining brackets when finally removing them

I don't know if I'm lucky or if it is standard but the transit brackets on mine have a slot and not a hole at their interface end. Thus - and I found out the hard way with the front one resulting in the pony truck falling off - it's really only necessary to slacken the screw and not take it right out. Once slackened off you simply slide the bracket out.

And my reluctant securing screw? Well fortunately I found I had a Phillips style interchangeable bit which fitted it so I used a small ratchet screwdriver with a nice 'grippy' handle and that did the trick!

• RMweb Premium

I too have found the securing screws difficult to remove on some recent models. In practice I have found that although they appear to be crosshead/Philips type, it is easier to remove them with a slotted screwdriver. Certainly worked that way for my Schools 903 and Swindon Castle.

I reiterate it was MR that said it was pre-production not me and a lot of people as you rightly say read MR and this could influence their decision about purchase. The only reason I said there should be a re-test is because this model may not be representative of the final production model. If you are saying that it is a production model then perhaps MR should say so in the next issue. (quote)

I'm sorry, I think one or both of us is at cross-purposes here. I did realise that the MR reviewer said it was a pre-production model, I wasn't suggesting otherwise. I'm just not sure how the reviewer knew, or thought he knew, it was pre-production. Pre-pro models are usually at least 3 months before the production models and, these days, pre-pros are seldom sent out for review. I think it was probably a production model, air-freighted over ahead of the main batch. I doubt that it differs in any way from the production models and any variation in performance will be down to minor variationss in the assembly of models and differences in the way they were tested.

CHRIS LEIGH

• RMweb Premium

I agree with what you have said Chris,and yes there are always differences to be found in locos, it is usually down to something minor that can be rectified, I think it is best left there as (as we have both agreed) one persons right is not necessarily anothers wrong, it is though a super loco which will find its way on to my layout in due course when the 38xx version arrives.

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Just an observation, which may not be valid as the "Great Western" model is based on I understand 2818 in its present condition,

....should the safety valves protrude so much above the safety valve bonnet?

I have heard no mention of this and just wondered whether the bonnet was replaced as looking at photos in the Russell books there appears to be a discrepancy

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Don't worry Rob - with the sort of delays it is suffering it will probably come with a free 50p coin so it'll be worth the wait (on the other hand it might come on a 50p coin ...hmm, awkward that)rolleyes.gif

Or a ten bob note Mike. ;)

• 3 weeks later...

Not yet.He also said Tintagel Castle was imminent in July. :angry:

In view of the delays to the older GWR Castle here is a photo of the 28XX celebrating mid 1930s summer heavy goods, dust rising.. but wasn't everything in those days in black and white?

Rob

Great_Western_Heavy_Goods_1936_4a_text.jpg

Very nice Rob, and excellent smoke "effect" as well :)

3803 has landed on Westwood Junction, and I've spent most of this evening running it in. An alarming tendency to randomly derail on points though! I thought it was the back to back initially and managed to 'pop' the wheels in a bit, but more derailments have occurred. After further investigation I now find the front pony wheels have a subtle bend in the flange at various points around the radius of both wheels. Presumably this is what is causing it to randomly ride up the point blades.

Hopefully I can get a replacement wheelset for it from The Signal Box, as it seems a shame to return it to them for a defect which I can fix given the replacement part.

Regards,

Dan

• RMweb Gold

In view of the delays to the older GWR Castle here is a photo of the 28XX celebrating mid 1930s summer heavy goods, dust rising.. but wasn't everything then in black and white?

Rob

Great_Western_Heavy_Goods_1936_4a_text.jpg

Thats really nice Rob.I've got to get one ,I'm drooling. B)

Thats really nice Rob.I've got to get one ,I'm drooling. B)

Thanks all.

For what it's worth, my version [reference to presumed Indian manufacture edited-out] runs perfectly, looks good, and even the dreaded 4-pin plug installs and detaches without too much effort. (Or maybe I was just lucky with that?) A bit tricky with those tool irons on the tender to protect, and it's all good. No pony truck derailments on type 2-3 code 100 flat circuit either.

Very impressive model, I have pre-ordered a late BR black 38XX. Mind you there's an early crest Fowler 7F on it's way already, unless Liverpool is snowbound!

Rob

• RMweb Gold

My local model shop in Exeter thought it would be 2011 now before the BR black ones arrived.

Just as well - with any luck someone will be banking the cheque for a trio of Stove Rs in the not too distant future, there are still a couple of Hakwsworths to collect, and there should be an 8K blink.gif somewhere enroute from the NRM despatcher at this very moment (and definitely losing time in running) - oh and there's a Christmas Card to buy for Mrs Stationmaster. On a brighter - or rather less expensive - note a bottle of Glenmorangie has just arrived with the compliments of my occasional employer (only trouble is that the other side of the deal will probably be having to write some Signalbox Instructions for an NR interface next year).

I'm struggling to keep up here. Where does production take place nowadays? Is China now outsourcing to India?

The 28xx / 2884 models are not being manufactured at Sanda Kan in China. Hornby have opened a second source for railway manufacturing. Personally I don't know if this is in China or India or elsewhere. I do believe that Hornby's subsidiary Airfix has manufacturing in India.

Does anyone know for a fact that the 28xx / 2883 (aka 38xx by Hornby) are being manufactured in India? Does anyone know the name of the company?

Archived