The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Morning world.

Creaky joints this morning after yesterdays exertions!

Jock, I presume your 'unsure of meaning' was the reference to 'sleeps' or the 'evening all' - it's 'days to go' before I retire from work, that currently being the office manager of our Youth Justice Team, the Isle of Man equivalent of a UK Young Offenders Team.  Although I'm not a police officer I am surrounded by them.....and my boss is a police Inspector.

After then I'm having a month off then am going to work part time for a local large scale ('G scale) and OO model railway retailer, Trackshack, which is owned by a pal.  My 10th job....now I think about it.  Crikey.....not sure that's a good thing or not, but I have only ever been unemployed for a year since I left school in '75.

Terribly sorry Neil, simply 'thick finger' syndrome - I've edited to the heart symbol just now. Perhaps I should go back to using my desk-top device with mouse and cursor rather than my retirement present iPad Air which has embarrassed me a couple of times now!

Begins to become obvious that I did my degree using a slide-rule!!

Apologies, but anyone reading this might be kind enough to point out future transgressions as proof reading isn't my strong point,

Kind regards,

Jock67B.

At a local Car Boot sale yesterday (we don't have many) there was a clockwork Hornby train set in original box.

I wondered at the extremely low price being asked - £20.

I realised on examination that it was well 'used' with parts missing from the loco.

As I have too many tasks backed-up I decided not to take it on.

Just wondering now how much a reconditioned set might be worth?

(It will either be £10 or a lottery win with my luck!).

• RMweb Premium

I'm not in any way annoyed or upset about it Jock - I just thought I should explain!  Sometimes our terminology in this line of work reflects the younger person's manner of speech which can leave folk wondering exactly what they mean!

'Chillax' for instance......which is what I'm trying to do in my last weeks at work!!!

• Like 1

... For those of you who don't know Andrew P, his layout links are certainly worth a look - especially 'Trebudoc' which starred in BRM current issue, very realistic! And he was really supportive of me when I was first feeling my way around RMweb for which I am truly grateful. ...

Jock67B.

Andrew seems to be most prolific in the modelling press. Each time I leaf through a recent, or not so recent, magazine I stumble across one of his excellent layouts. I'm planning on using a foam-board track bed on my upcoming layout "Cromford", as per Andrew's advice. Good to see him on ER.

Best. Andy 

• RMweb Gold

Morning all, sort of brightish grey here if you get my drift. Not a lot planned this week, main event will be dunging out tidying up the house as daughter will be spending next weekend here while us lads use hers as base camp for the yearly trip to Twickenham and Army v Navy drinking match, sorry, rugby match.

Having said that, it could all be on hold as we are waiting to see if a family member has to go back to the sandy sh*thole early. 

You've seen the news, you can guess why.

Morning all just been told about this section and its certainly different.

The sun is shining in Swad this morning and being retired I guess I will just have to drop the Good Lady off at the Supermarket to do the shopping whilst I take the Greyhound for a leisurely stroll.

Always liked the name Swadlincote Andy, my uncle and his family lived in Overseal for many years and I spent a number of summer holidays there when I was young and for some reason really got a kick out of your home town's name! Welcome to the ER's!

George

• RMweb Premium

Morning all just been told about this section and its certainly different.

The sun is shining in Swad this morning and being retired I guess I will just have to drop the Good Lady off at the Supermarket to do the shopping whilst I take the Greyhound for a leisurely stroll.

Will look back again later over coffee.

Great to see you on ERs, Andy.  :sungum: :sungum: :sungum:  Hope you make yourself at home, here. 

Well, a good morning to you all.

Can't quite make out what it's going to do today.  It's sort of cloudy misty bright with the sun managing to shine through.  Not quite as stormy looking as our trip back home from the excellent Liverpool MR exhibition on Saturday. So, some pics taken along the North Wales coast From a Carriage Window.

Abergele and Pensarn - nice bit of green stuff, there.

post-14049-0-93342000-1398676716.jpg

The bay

post-14049-0-88477100-1398676779.jpg

post-14049-0-87956700-1398678363.jpg

Just managed to snatch a bit of the old castle walls at Conwy.

post-14049-0-74286800-1398678480.jpg

Looking across to Puffin Island off Anglesey

post-14049-0-33434600-1398677577.jpg

Someone's getting the rain...

post-14049-0-00731500-1398678746.jpg

Approaching Llanfairfechan

post-14049-0-50382800-1398679120.jpg

Yup, they got the rain.

post-14049-0-57470000-1398677756.jpg

Approaching Bangor...

post-14049-0-96992200-1398677833.jpg

Yay.  Sunny....

post-14049-0-41710900-1398677891.jpg

The carriage window.  Well, not quite OUR window, we were sat on the other side.

post-14049-0-37746800-1398677929.jpg

Hoping you all have a good day.

Polly

Edited by southern42
  • Like 14

Apologies for putting a joke in here, but it seemed to go perfectly with the post

Morning all, nothing unusual or upsetting to report snake feeding night tonight so the cats are convinced I should be edible too. Hopefully no one in work will smell dead rats as I waft by.

A precious little girl walks into a PetSmart store and asks, in the sweetest

little lisp, between

two missing teeth, "Excuthe me, mithter, where do you keep the widdle

wabbits? "As the shopkeeper's heart melts, he gets

down on his knees so that he's on her level and asks, "Do you want a widdle

white wabbit, or a thoft and fuwwy, bwack wabbit,

or maybe one like that cute widdle bwown wabbit over there?"

She, in turn, blushes, rocks on her heels, puts her hands on her knees,

leans forward and says, in a tiny quiet voice

"I don't think my python weally gives a thit."

• RMweb Gold

Bad news on my simplify documenting photos front - the way Excel handles pasted data - or rather the way I want it to, in the format I want it - means I need to stick to the multiple paste way of doing things. I can sense some VB coding is going to be required, but that's for another day, I'm content I've lopped off a huge amount of time with what I've done already.

• RMweb Gold

Morning all,

Firstly apologies for not reading back beyond yesterday morning but far too many posts here fro that so commiserations, congratulations and best wishes for whatever according to any messages of import which I have missed but especially fingers crossed for Phil and family who are currently on tenterhooks (see above).

So ho Mr Stationmaster how was the SWAG experience?  Well the 09 driving was fun, the brakevan ride was great (I got in the one with the stove in full warming mode) and although it was a bit pricey at least the surplus is going in the SWAGday charity contribution (to The Railway Children charity, a worthwhile cause I think).  Viewing Bath Green Park/Tamerig was, as always, great - well worth going on the Saturday just for that private showing and the tea and biccies.

The Saturday evening nosh was somewhat as anticipated after considerable confusion (on their part) when placing orders by 'phone) but considering it was for two dozen people I don't think the nett score was too bad - 4 incorrect dishes sent back, 1 very wrong steak delivered to someone, 1 redelivered after discovering it was incomplete when first offered and in the course of avoiding a 'something with chips' I finished up with a Yorkshire pudding which clearly had not only never been anywhere near Yorkshire and was probably made from old socks judging by its consistency, I should have stuck with chips!  But all in all a very convivial evening.

And so to Sunday - well after being delayed behind a Sunday morning driver enroute I arrived to find 'troubles at the modular mill' with one corner module the wrong way round (decision needed; decision made),  So it all went together but with certain electrical problems - which alas we could not resolve them so we extemporised and worked out & back but as usual 'we learnt lessons for next time'.  But as always at Staplegrove it was a great day with some excellent invited layouts, some useful trade presence, nice catering, and of course a great crowd of folk - Captain Kernow triumphed again (except in respect of the weather - which was absolutely atrocious coming back up the M4/M5 yesterday).

Have a good day one & all

• Like 10

• RMweb Gold

But as always at Staplegrove it was a great day with some excellent invited layouts, some useful trade presence, nice catering, and of course a great crowd of folk - Captain Kernow triumphed again

It is reviews like this - and many others every year - that make me convinced this annual "do" must be in my bucket list. [Anyone unfamiliar with that expression - it is a list of things to do before you kick the bucket.] As has been said, the warmth of RMwebbers is even more convincing when you get to shake their hands! 

I agree it is good to see Andrew P on here, because as well as his modestly-presented but excellent modelling, his threads always abound with humour, so he will only add value to ERs.

• Like 2

Great to see you on ERs, Andy.  :sungum: :sungum: :sungum:  Hope you make yourself at home, here. 

Well, a good morning to you all.

Can't quite make out what it's going to do today.  It's sort of cloudy misty bright with the sun managing to shine through.  Not quite as stormy looking as our trip back home from the excellent Liverpool MR exhibition on Saturday. So, some pics taken along the North Wales coast From a Carriage Window.

Abergele and Pensarn - nice bit of green stuff, there.

attachicon.gifIMG_1337 Abergele and Pensarn.JPG

The bay

attachicon.gifIMG_1339 The Bay.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_1341 Bae Colwyn Colwyn Bay.JPG

Just managed to snatch a bit of the old castle walls at Conwy.

attachicon.gifIMG_1346 Conwy Castle walls.JPG

Looking across to Puffin Island off Anglesey

attachicon.gifIMG_1347 Across to Puffin Island.JPG

Someone's getting the rain...

attachicon.gifIMG_1351 Rain overhead.JPG

Approaching Llanfairfechan

attachicon.gifIMG_1358 Llanfairfechan beach 2.JPG

Yup, they got the rain.

attachicon.gifIMG_1359 Llanfairfechan.JPG

Approaching Bangor...

attachicon.gifIMG_1360 Approacing Bangor 1.JPG

Yay.  Sunny....

attachicon.gifIMG_1365 Bangor.JPG

The carriage window.  Well, not quite OUR window, we were sat on the other side.

attachicon.gifIMG_1366 Our carriage.JPG

Hoping you all have a good day.

Polly

Morning Polly, I thought this was supposed to be for Early Risers, well your post shows 10.10 which in real terms is 11.10 so what do you call early, (Now looking for crash helmet for next time we meet up).

As I said its certainly different, almost a page and a half since I posted on here this morning and I'm still wadeing through.

Glad you had a good show, I went to Sutton Coldfield on Sunday for a couple of hours, (it was my Birthday so couldn't stay out to long, things planned). I have posted some pics on Nickwoods, Much Murkle which was way beyond expectations.

Catch up again soon. :no:  :no:  :no:  :no:  

It is reviews like this - and many others every year - that make me convinced this annual "do" must be in my bucket list. [Anyone unfamiliar with that expression - it is a list of things to do before you kick the bucket.] As has been said, the warmth of RMwebbers is even more convincing when you get to shake their hands! 

I agree it is good to see Andrew P on here, because as well as his modestly-presented but excellent modelling, his threads always abound with humour, so he will only add value to ERs.

Thank you Ian, You are most generous in your praise of my constant coc* ups and re do's / mind changing Layouts.

With Kingsley I got excited about Third Rail then lost all enthusiasm due to well documented (On Kingsley) House move / not move issues.

The pace of posts on here is unbelievable and I'm surprised anyone has time for modelling in real terms, unless of course they employ a secretary and dictate whilst modeling, now there's a plan, hahha.

Anyway, come on here at Coffee Time and now its dam near Dinner Time, what a way to spend retirement, ahhah.   

• RMweb Gold

The pace of posts on here is unbelievable and I'm surprised anyone has time for modelling in real terms, unless of course they employ a secretary and dictate whilst modeling, now there's a plan, hahha.

Anyway, come on here at Coffee Time and now its dam near Dinner Time, what a way to spend retirement, ahhah.   

My case rests!

My neighbour has just returned from a trip and brought me back a genuine Bakewell tart in return for feeding his fish.

The tart has a very rich, sweet and gooey centre but tending to a fatty exterior. 

I suspect having the whole of the tart may mean I have to loosen my trouser belt soon! 

post-4299-0-68733900-1398684608.jpg

:nono:  Oh, come on I know what you lot were thinking.   :angel:

• RMweb Premium

My neighbour has just returned from a trip and brought me back a genuine Bakewell tart in return for feeding his fish.

The tart has a very rich, sweet and gooey centre but tending to a fatty exterior. 

I suspect having the whole of the tart may mean I have to loosen my trouser belt soon! 

attachicon.gifbakewell tart 001.JPG

:nono:  Oh, come on I know what you lot were thinking.   :angel:

I'm thinking that looks nothing like a proper baked in Bakewell Bakewell tart.....

• RMweb Premium

I've just had a Belgium Bun with my coffee, does that count as fattening?

Not unless you scooped up all the crumbs, the bits that fall off are the fattening bits like broken biscuits let all the calories escape.....

• Like 1