Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold

The same guy had a neighbour, who moved a giant flat stone in his garden and discovered a 250ft shaft! The mine was completely unsurveyed, and they ended up getting Camborne School of Mines in to survey the workings. At least in this case, the shaft was covered with a nice big stone and the ginging was still in relatively good condition. So often, the shafts were backfilled with wood and general rubbish, which is fine until the wood rots, takes the ginging with it, and you end up with a massive crater.

Was it in Derbyshire where a stope collapsed recently? I seem to remember reading about it in the paper. Fortunately, it was only in a field.

The two viaducts at Quakers Yard (Not Debs' back garden I hasten to add) required shoring up due to the terrific amount of subsidence, caused by mining in the area..

The GWR/Rhymney railway line up the west side of the Taff Valley being closed in 1951, as the upkeep wasn't warranted with the parallel exTVR line on the east side of the valley which is still the line to Merthyr

However, the Vale of Neath viaduct (Quakers Yard No 2 viaduct) remained in service until the line closed in 1964 as a result of the Beeching axe.

Edit sellingp

Edited by Happy Hippo
  • Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Morning all,

Andrew if I were you I'd advise the public health or whatever they're called nowadays) folk about the mess next door - a mess like that is a magnet for four-legged rats  (or maybe the property owner will do it?).

Off to Alton at some stage before too long - once I've raided my piggy bank.  Oh and as far as things like Toucan and Puffin crossings is concerned there is a major expert on such things on RMweb, he works for a company which installs them and other road traffic related thingies.

Have a  good day one & all.

• Like 11

• RMweb Gold

Back from dentist with repaired tooth and a sort of apology from him saying "I might not have got that quite right last time" To be fair to him I've been going there for over 20 years and never had any major problems.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Supposed to be taking a pupil for a test this morning only to find out that it's been cancelled at two hours notice...... At least we hadn't picked up and got there to find it out.

They informed her of a rearranged date for four weeks time. When she looked online, there's one next Wednesday...... and I'm available, so that's sorted.

However, I now find myself with 2 1/2 hours spare to do some modelling......  Because they've cancelled at less than 3 days notice, I can claim for my loss of earnings. Difficult bit was finding the claim form hidden away on line in the DVSA website.

Have a good day folks.

Cheers,

Mick

Morning all,

Andrew if I were you I'd advise the public health or whatever they're called nowadays) folk about the mess next door - a mess like that is a magnet for four-legged rats  (or maybe the property owner will do it?).

Off to Alton at some stage before too long - once I've raided my piggy bank.  Oh and as far as things like Toucan and Puffin crossings is concerned there is a major expert on such things on RMweb, he works for a company which installs them and other road traffic related thingies.

Have a  good day one & all.

Done and dusted. Council's Environmental Health dept. Not sure what they'll do. Likely give the landlord a day or 3 to clean then have it done and charged to the landlord who will have to try and recover the cost from the scum bag's deposit. If this is what the outside state is, I shudder to think what the inside is like. No doubt the landlord will have a large cleaning and repair bill to chase after.

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Likely give the landlord a day or 3 to clean then have it done and charged to the landlord who will have to try and recover the cost from the scum bag's deposit. If this is what the outside state is, I shudder to think what the inside is like. No doubt the landlord will have a large cleaning and repair bill to chase after.

Dilapidations, I think this is called. When my fave aunt died in late 1977, there was a fair bill for this on her flat. She was in no way a slummy dweller, but had been there for maybe 30 years - maybe more, I dare say - and smoked like a chimney. Yes, it was emphysema that got her, at 69.

• RMweb Gold

Done and dusted. Council's Environmental Health dept. Not sure what they'll do. Likely give the landlord a day or 3 to clean then have it done and charged to the landlord who will have to try and recover the cost from the scum bag's deposit. If this is what the outside state is, I shudder to think what the inside is like. No doubt the landlord will have a large cleaning and repair bill to chase after.

Many years ago had a friend who moved into a very nice semi. They managed to trash it completely and it was embarassing going round there.

When they bought their own house they looked after it.

Our neighbours (so far) are fine, except for one side of us they put their fag butts between our fence and the low wall their side. Only found out when I took one of our fence panels down to replace it. They also like to sing opera songs in the summer (not a fan) - I guess that they must be performers but never had chance to ask them.

The other side (adjoining our party wall are very quiet but are chain smokers so if the wind is in a ceretain direction we can smell stale smoke inside the house even if no windows are open and I cant find where its getting in!!

PS - major problems on Southern at the moment due to a power outage at Clapham Junction affecting both Victoria and London Bridge services - people stuck on trains for 4 hours or so.

Edited by roundhouse

I am very, very lucky with my neighbours.  All of them live and let live.  We also take in parcels for each other and help out when possible/ necessary.

Having said that, most people still hold their breaths when a house changes hands.  Which doesn't happen quite as often in Germany as in the UK, but still.

Just to prove how intolerant people can be, there was a court case yesterday from a couple who have lived in a flat for 20 years, and decided to reduce the the rent they were paying due to a football playground being built nearby.  This needs to be clarified by saying that German rental law allows you to reduce the rent you pay in certain circumstances where the landlord has control over something.  For example, if there is a problem with the fabric of the building, and he refuses to fix it, you can (under certain circumstances) reduce your rent legitimately.

Their argument was, that the noise of children playing on this football field (which was a fenced playground) was disturbing their quality of life and they reduced their rent.  The landlord sued and the case reached the Bundesgerichtshof (Supreme court) yesterday.  The couple lost on the grounds that the noise of children playing is reasonable.

Edited by Robert
  • Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Just to prove how intolerant people can be, there was a court case yesterday from a couple who have lived in a flat for 20 years, and decided to reduce the the rent they were paying due to a football playground being built nearby.  This needs to be clarified by saying that German rental law allows you to reduce the rent you pay in certain circumstances where the landlord has control over something.  For example, if there is a problem with the fabric of the building, and he refuses to fix it, you can (under certain circumstances) reduce your rent legitimately.

Their argument was, that the noise of children playing on this football field (which was a fenced playground) was disturbing their quality of life and they reduced their rent.  The landlord sued and the case reached the Bundesgerichtshof (Supreme court) yesterday.  The couple lost on the grounds that the noise of children playing is reasonable.

Yes, I took note of this report, too. There have been other court cases – not all directly related to rental law as IIRC some of the plaintiffs were home owners – which had to do with claims of reduced quality of life due to noise from playing children at nearby nurseries or kindergartens. These cases aimed at effectively banning children from playing outside but were generally – in the appeals stage at the latest – dismissed.

NIMBY mentality at its best, indeed.

Neighbors! Who’d have them?

Worst case I personally know of was when a friend of ours who was a diplomat in New York moved back to Kent. They bought a very nice house in a small development on the outskirts of a  village. All was well until a neighbor down the road divorced his wife and moved out leaving her there. She took up with a younger guy who was, unfortunately, a notorious “professional” burglar - very good he was too and had his small team move in with him. They burgled their way through half the neighborhood (including my friends place). The Police could do virtually nothing because he was never caught with anything. When he was caught the Courts only gave him a small custodial sentence. He’s still at “work” - the Police are frustrated and house prices have plummeted.

Anyone want to know the name of the place PM me...

Best, Pete.

Edited by trisonic

We live on a main road, so really our interaction is restricted to the people either side.

One set, a young couple, civil servants, just moved in are very nice, following from a lovely couple of guys who sadly had a relationship break up. Not buddies, but pleasant.

The other side, not so much. Yappy dog (all the time), security lights shining in our windows and he's a bit odd. He has 'moods' in which he may well turn up on your doorstep and rant (because when the council painted a white line outside our house they went a foot over 'his' bit of road...). We had to pay £5k to replace a wall that his run-off water had undermined. We now have a new wall with his scrap timber and pipe leant up against it. When burglars broke into the house the other side (who we are friendly with) he 'didn't hear' them smashing the double-glazed patio doors in with a hammer. Later when checking the garden when next-door-but-one was away (we do that for each other) he heard me, and all of a sudden all the lights in his house went out.

Next but one is a great bloke - exWO1 in the Marines, OBE, many medals. Sadly now has stage 3 prostate cancer which has spread. Tragic.

And then there's the swingers up the road...

Morning to you all there, its well into evening here. Very late on parade with family matters needing urgent attention throughout the day. Step daughter No#2 who also lives with us,. was taken to hospital with her sugar diabetes level dropping very low, not to mention also seven months pregnant. So Michelle (mum) been supportive has travelled with her to Launceston leaving me in charge of the fort, so family matters must come first. Still awaiting to hear for any further outcome but my guess will be a stay for a few nights. 

Jock, things sound like all well so far and I my thoughts are with you, it sounds like your a tuff old Scotsman anyway so you'll fight the fight. (so to Speak)

Smithy2, Love that fire place you have, looks an absolute charm. Reminds me of one I installed in the second home that I built, cost me few bob from the antique dealer. Made from Blackwood & Huon Pine with bevelled mirrors above the fire side. Wife No1 sold that place.

Andrew C, I never had a neighbour from hell, Michelle my SWMBO had a small farm that she rented out, took six months to get them evicted. The damage that was left behind along with a 10yrd dump truck of rubbish, (from the home only) was going to cost us more to renovate than the home was worth. Tenant Insurance? what a waist of money that is! We sold the property as was, (rubbish removed and cleaned about) Lost AU$40,000 within five years. Hope your new tenants Andrew are home owners!.

Richard, (Happy Hippo) thankyou for stating that if I wish to post here about Tazzie historia, I can and others miss out. Although I also agree with Trisonic that it probably would reach a larger audience elsewhere on RM,

Trisonic, I feel you are correct that perhaps it could appear on another thread. (for a wider audience) As I am still relatively new to RM & ER I did ask at post #88706 that if those on ER wishing to hear more, or ask a question on Tasmania to push the agree icon, I received 20 + 8 likes. So I have continued to place my post here.

Perhaps, this would be an interesting thread? different railway history from around the world by local inhabitants of were ever it maybe. I don't think there is one, is there?

Time for something cute, Tasmanian Devil.
Up ya kilt, Tex.

Harmless ya know, they do make good pets and easy to feed, we call it road kill and they love it.

post-25722-0-47580000-1430393097.jpg
He's telling me that there is something stuck between his teeth.

post-25722-0-21969700-1430393358_thumb.jpg

Now being both a carnivore and carrion eater, there's always a bit of competition. (Wedge Tailed Eagle looking on)
post-25722-0-80928500-1430393459.jpg 

The Wedge Tailed Eagle, largest Raptor (bird of prey) in Australia.

post-25722-0-14805200-1430394094_thumb.jpgpost-25722-0-73532500-1430394040.jpg

Edited by Tassie Tex
  • Like 15

• RMweb Gold

I think our road is mainly occupied by builders or people who work in finance. I think the retired crime-lords are more likely to live in Thundersly rather than Benfleet. Well that is I assume who lives in the big walled houses with guard dogs in the woodlands!

Tony

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Tex

I gave a Friendly/supportive rating for your post due to the stepdaughter news but I do really like the Tasmanian Devil photos, nice set of teeth.

Tony

Edited by Tony_S

Our neighbours are a mixed bunch - people tend to stay for a long time in the road - our adjoining neighbours (we're in a semi) have been there since 1987. The ones over the road have been there since the late 90s and most of the rest have been there since before the dates you can find on Rightmove.

This doesn't mean they're necessarily all friendly, the family over the road (the Tweenies) only speak if they want something, next door to them (The Lifeboats) are very odd indeed and next door to them is Loner who has not even acknowledged us in 11 years. Monkeyboy's family move a few years ago now. As you can tell we've spent time inventing private names for them - but none as rude as Dumptruck; she used to live over the road from us in the last house. Others haven't been given invented names.

The other thing that strikes me as strange is that there are at least three boys living in the street that we know of on the autism spectrum (including the younger Lurker). There must be something in the water.

Tex, hope everything is well with your step daughter

• Like 13

• RMweb Gold

Tex - hope goes alls Ok with daughter in law.

Those little devils look cute till they open their mouths!!

So does my spaniel. People often comment on what lovely teeth he has. It takes a lot to irritate Robbie but if for instance a young male dog really tries to be dominant the response (pulling back of lips and jowls showing a lot of teeth) seems to generate the young dog equivalent of 'Sorry Mate, didn't mean no offence...'. People with aggressive or timid dogs must find walking with them quite stressful. I don't mean those people who revel in their dogs aggressive tendency (or how 'hard' it looks).

Tony

• Like 2

Yes, I took note of this report, too. There have been other court cases – not all directly related to rental law as IIRC some of the plaintiffs were home owners – which had to do with claims of reduced quality of life due to noise from playing children at nearby nurseries or kindergartens. These cases aimed at effectively banning children from playing outside but were generally – in the appeals stage at the latest – dismissed.

NIMBY mentality at its best, indeed.

If you ever would like to see a top DVD, its The Castle by Road Show Entertainment. Its about a guy who does not wish to sell his home, (acquired acquisition of his castle, his home) to an airport development corporation, along with his neighbour's its taken to the High Court of Australia. 

Its Australian made, hilariously funny and he doesn't mind living next to an International Airport. Its based on a true story.

Thankyou gentlemen for your support, fingers crossed all will turn out OK.

Tex.

You must laugh tho at those who buy a house near one and then complain about the noise. 

• Like 9

• RMweb Gold

Hope your step daughter improves quickly Tex-not a good time to have a problem like that

There were a few mums to be with diabetes in the maternity ward when Aditi was there waiting for Matthew to arrive. They all were fine and had healthy babies though they did tell me that they were bigger than average (the babies not the mothers!). Aditi spent a month in the ward as they wanted to monitor her blood pressure. She didn't have diabetes then.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

On one side, we have an empty property since Dorothy sadly passed away about 6 months ago. The great-grandkids were complete wasters and pretty much broke the house around her and she was powerless to do anything about it because she was so frail. There's a very long story that involved one of the great grandkids stealing from us whilst we were away on holiday - he entered the house on the pretext that he was going to feed the cats. We already had someone on that duty......
We're certain that he had an accomplice who is a well known local scrote - he's since moved away from the area on the advice of the local Police.

Don't get me wrong, apart from that incident, We've been here happily for nearly 24 years.

Coincidentally, I've just been chatting to a prospective purchaser who has arranged a viewing - he seems OK. He was asking about the adjacent railway and how busy it was. I a telling him how you don't actually notice the trains and a 150/153 on the hourly passenger drifted by to confirm. I did tell him that we get 2-3 freights per day and again, they're not too intrusive. Bang on cue, 57302 on a  DRS route learner rumbles by the other way.

What I didn't tell him, is that the odd freight driver that knows where I live gives a friendly toot when they're passing by!

Cheers,
Mick

Edited by newbryford
  • Like 13

Thanks, Tex. I hope your step-daughter is treated and OK.  D-i-L is 39 weeks today...

The fireplace is cast iron and very heavy... bought it secondhand for quite a lot of money, but fitting wasn't too expensive. Dates to about 1895, and is a rather strange mix of classical and art nouveau. 

And I like the Devil, too. Impressed that he's joined the Sapeurs-Pompiers...

P1000110.JPG

• Like 3