RMweb

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

The Cornish are much craftier cleverer - you have to pay to get out at the Saltash bridge (or should that be you have to pay to get into England?)

G'night all.

I've heard a rumour that if you're in Yorkshire, they pay YOU to get out..................

Cheers,

Mick

• RMweb Premium

We arrived at the Welsh Highland in Caernarfon this morning only to find the trains aren't running on Fridays in June.  Doh!

Driver training tomorrow at West Shore.   Had a taster round in Bethesda (Joys of Life Railway) during the week on a 5" gauge electric pulling one car with passenger (Ray). I thought it would be quite routine once I got the hang of the controller.  Ha!  I hadn't taken into account the hilly nature of the route, the bumpy ride (ground level as opposed to the raised track at West Shore), going over points, switching the warning signals on and off before/after the driveway crossing, the lights not coming on for the tunnel then selecting another switch thinking I'd got it wrong (no!) and going into reverse! Got it right in the end.   :good:  

Fun and games tomorrow, possibly, then.

So,   :locomotive:    or :senile:  ????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!??????????????

But goodnight for now.

Nos da. 

Edited by southern42
  • Like 12

Busy, busy day. Goodnight.

And suppose it will be sensible to get a left hand drive model (bike).

Maybe. That's the back pedal brake equipped unit, which dumps the inexperienced straight into the nearest watercourse when there is a little frost on the cobbles. The lack of toe clips, and floatable traditional footwear ensure that the wayward fietser resurfaces. 

• Like 1

Today definitely didn't go to plan.

No signal for catching up with ER where the course was and no early finish. To add insult to injury, I'd just walked through the front door when I was given a call out at 17:35. I've only just got back so I'm a bit grumpy and tired.

Somehow I've just managed to catch up with todays posts.

Rick - An absolutely cracking photo. The only question is, when are you going to build a scale model of it? :jester:

Richard - Obviously the hints about the cutter were too subtle.

Shower and bed I think.

Night all

• Like 12

The Cornish are much craftier cleverer - you have to pay to get out at the Saltash bridge (or should that be you have to pay to get into England?)

G'night all.

They are indeed clever. The Torpoint ferry tolls also apply when escaping. If I have time then that is my preferred route into Cornwall, but A 30 or possibly A390 Liskeard to Tavistock coming back.

Ed

• Like 6

Morning all,

Very busy yesterday with lots of driving tasks, but all accomplished. Our delightful grandaughter has now been with us for a week, and just fits in without any problem, not bad for a teenager approaching seventeen!

big jim, lovely shot of the disused viaduct at Tebay, captured the atmosphere of the Lune Gorge beautifully. Thank you - I hope you have a trouble free run into border country tonight!

Dave(TG), thanks to you too for another fine set of images.As a matter of interest, I am from a clan of border reivers, having our own tartan, coat of arms and motto. For anyone who would like to learn more, I would recommend 'The Steel Bonnets', the story of the Anglo-Scottish border reivers, by George MacDonald Fraser (Author of the Flashman books!). It is an entertaining and informative read of a fairly unsavoury period in our history!

Mike(SM), that was an unbelievable 'cyclist' story - putting your own life at risk is one thing, but to risk that of an innocent is unforgivable! Do you think the Cornish exit fee on the A38 could explain why the A30 is so busy?

Andy(ram), hope you, and any of our other digital friends who are due to visit the GCR show, have a wonderful time. Photographs would be very welcome, and I'm sure Debs would forgive me as I'm simply unable to travel to the venue!

Andy the leopard, you have my sympathy as that is indeed a nasty and painful injury. I hope you have family and friends around to help you as I believe the healing process can be lengthy.

Hope the weekend produces the R&R that most of us need,

Kind regards,

Jock.

G'night Owls!

• Like 17

Evenin' all. What happened to global warning? Just taken the dog for his late night walk and it's bloomin' cold. Late June too.

Ed

Lovely here! Just right, mid eighties f.     I consider that we’re lucky to still have “Seasons” with snow every year in Winter (confounded nuisance that it can be, of course).

Best, Pete.

• Like 12

• RMweb Premium

Not if you use one of the Severn Bridges , they cost you .    :jester:

The border always used to be marked by a long earthwork.  I have always wondered who Offa's Dyke was. ;)

• RMweb Premium

Rick - An absolutely cracking photo. The only question is, when are you going to build a scale model of it? :jester:

She's an old lady weak at the knees now and in need of a great deal of TLC and stone-masonry surgery.  The top level which includes the well-known ballroom (beneath the square clock tower) is condemned off limits.  Rain water penetrates to the second level.  From the public point of view the tiling is in a poor state of repair in most areas, the facilities are anything but convenient and truly you'd feel more comfortable going over the road to Federation Square for that moment of relief.  We're told some urgent work is imminent.  It had better be. 

What a cracking project to model though - sadly in every sense of that word.  I think I remember having seen it done but can't recall where now.  Do I have to include a scale representation of me somewhere? ;)

• RMweb Gold

What a day it was yesterday.

We had a great time with the layout at the GCR then the train ride after the show closed with a special train for us exhibitors. Then it was quite a few beers in Loughborough.

On the other hand it's exactly a year after my fathers funeral.

Then whilst waiting at the bus stop to get back to Kegeorth be get a text with some really bad news. Our long time friend and show helper, his Lukeimia is back for a third time and it's the worst news it can be.

It's not really sunk in yet but to say we are all gutted is an understatement.

• RMweb Gold

Terrible news roundhouse, thoughts are with you

Damp one this morning in carlisle, didnt manage to get the 1st train home so grabbing a coffee in maccy d's before i walk up to the station for the 07:03 direct to crewe

May try and get in the shed later if i can to carry on with a bit more scenery etc but ill be sleeping most of the day probably

• Like 14

Morning all,

Very busy yesterday with lots of driving tasks, but all accomplished. Our delightful grandaughter has now been with us for a week, and just fits in without any problem, not bad for a teenager approaching seventeen!

big jim, lovely shot of the disused viaduct at Tebay, captured the atmosphere of the Lune Gorge beautifully. Thank you - I hope you have a trouble free run into border country tonight!

Dave(TG), thanks to you too for another fine set of images.As a matter of interest, I am from a clan of border reivers, having our own tartan, coat of arms and motto. For anyone who would like to learn more, I would recommend 'The Steel Bonnets', the story of the Anglo-Scottish border reivers, by George MacDonald Fraser (Author of the Flashman books!). It is an entertaining and informative read of a fairly unsavoury period in our history!

Mike(SM), that was an unbelievable 'cyclist' story - putting your own life at risk is one thing, but to risk that of an innocent is unforgivable! Do you think the Cornish exit fee on the A38 could explain why the A30 is so busy?

Andy(ram), hope you, and any of our other digital friends who are due to visit the GCR show, have a wonderful time. Photographs would be very welcome, and I'm sure Debs would forgive me as I'm simply unable to travel to the venue!

Andy the leopard, you have my sympathy as that is indeed a nasty and painful injury. I hope you have family and friends around to help you as I believe the healing process can be lengthy.

Hope the weekend produces the R&R that most of us need,

Kind regards,

Jock.

G'night Owls!

....I've ordered a copy of the book Jock...looking forward to having a read.

Sorry to hear your news Roundhouse

Rgds

Dave

Edited by Torr Giffard LSWR 1951-71

• RMweb Gold

Morning all

A hot weekend in prospect, and I start to wonder about water shortages in early course.

Ian (roundhouse) that is horrid news. Let's hope some sort of corner can be turned.

Other sufferers have my sympathy, too.

The printer saga from a couple of days ago has not ended well. The back-up printer is alive, but refuses to talk to the PC. I've downloaded drivers etc and Windows told me the device was ready, but it's no go. So a new one is on order. It has WiFi and other mod-cons, including capacity for longer-lasting cartridges, say Canon.

Regular readers (who said "Get a life!"?) will recall that cleaner Alison is having an ongoing affair with her French farmer neighbour. She can't stand beards - reassuring for Sherry! Last night she was aware of a tractor in an adjacent field about dusk, but on greeting her hero - who had that day delivered to her an almost new £2k rotovator he had come by - she found he had stubble. I mean, a farmer with stubble, whatever next? He was told his fortune, cluttered off back to the farm to shave - did wifey wonder why? - and returned for his reward....... Apparently there is more space in a tractor cab than you imagine. 

Hope your weekend goes well.

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Cleaner Alison is having an ongoing affair with her French farmer neighbour. She can't stand beards - reassuring for Sherry! Last night she was aware of a tractor in an adjacent field about dusk, but on greeting her hero - who had that day delivered to her an almost new £2k rotovator he had come by - she found he had stubble. I mean, a farmer with stubble, whatever next? He was told his fortune, cluttered off back to the farm to shave - did wifey wonder why? - and returned for his reward....... Apparently there is more space in a tractor cab than you imagine.

I recall asking you when you first coined the phrase "cleaner Alison" along the lines of whether there was a dirtier Alison around. Now it turns out it's her alter ego!

Sometimes I know so much it scares me ;)

edit to say "morning all, have a nice weekend"

Edited by colin penfold
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Morning all.

Sunny and quite warm here. First task today is to take Aditi to the opticians. She will be having new lenses put into her old frames, which are almost non frames anyway.

Tony

• Like 10